BEV Lawn Mowers, I am going back to ICE!

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Have about an acre... Picked up a Greenworks ZTR towards the end of last season. Absolutely love it. Never have to worry about it starting right up and quiet as can be. I'd be hard pressed to go back now. And it easily charges off my solar shed.
Sponsored

Kismit

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium ER RWD IBSM ordered 11/6
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Nobody said it won't last longer than 5 years. That's just the warranty length. What was the warranty length on your Honda?
I have no idea ....at this point I just hope it lasts a while longer and then I'll look into getting someone to come do my yard for me LOL As a single female I'm getting tired of doing it all myself (as I'm about to install door trim on all my interior doors for memorial day )

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My ICE mower broke recently (it was cheap from walmart), so I just used my neighbors nice EGO 57v with the 7.5a and 5.0a battery, (about $700 value). The experience was nice just like an EV, quiet, smooth, no vibration, some cool tech. But for me the battery range isnt there, and even worse the charging speeds. I have a 0.5 acre yard in New England. I have fully depleted both batteries and am about 3/4s done. If this was the fall and leaf season I would have to hire a guy.
3/4 done with two batteries means you can easily do the whole job in one day. Just put battery #1 on to charge when you start mowing with battery #2.

We have 1/3 acre and often finish the job with one battery. When I don't I take about a 20 minute break to do a partial recharge on the battery so I can finish. I can edge or do other chores while I wait. I've also just broken up the mowing across two days.

You can also use a larger mower with larger batteries as others have suggested.

There are lots of solutions rather than resorting to an ICE mower.

My other concern is my car has a battery management system to keep the battery healthy, and I dont leave it at 100% or 0%. A mower has no BMS, and I would image many store them in thier shed all winter, at either 0 or 100% and in the cold. So I can see why the batteries crap out after 3 years.
You might want to watch some of the YouTube videos out there showing why these EGO Power+ batteries are so impressive:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You can also buy one of these for $100 and turn those batteries into a high-capacity 150W and USB portable power solution.
https://a.co/d/1W3hlIu

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I looked into the zero turn battery options last year, but but a gas powered Cub Cadet 50". I mow over an acre of uneven ground, destroyed my lawn tractor in 12 years. The cost of the batteries was the killer for me, and I know they'll not last more than 5 years and then another large outlay. And I'm not waiting for anything to charge. Everything else that is in the yard is 40V Ryobi, except my rototiller (big John Deere a neighbor gifted to me) and my power washer.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I think you should just hire it out, that's what I do. My landscaping team consists of a leopard like herder and a couple mowers that require no gas or batteries.

Ford Mustang Mach-E BEV Lawn Mowers, I am going back to ICE! Screenshot_20230525-112932

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My ICE mower broke recently (it was cheap from walmart), so I just used my neighbors nice EGO 57v with the 7.5a and 5.0a battery, (about $700 value). The experience was nice just like an EV, quiet, smooth, no vibration, some cool tech. But for me the battery range isnt there, and even worse the charging speeds. I have a 0.5 acre yard in New England. I have fully depleted both batteries and am about 3/4s done. If this was the fall and leaf season I would have to hire a guy.

Honestly the mower is more like my Gen 1 Leaf, awesome if it can handle your needs (smaller yard), but it is no Mach-E, it needs a bigger battery and a bit more power. Most of my neighbors have these but none drive an EV, I wonder if this experience with range and power is soiling them on EVs.

My other concern is my car has a battery management system to keep the battery healthy, and I dont leave it at 100% or 0%. A mower has no BMS, and I would image many store them in thier shed all winter, at either 0 or 100% and in the cold. So I can see why the batteries crap out after 3 years.

Sadly I just ordered an ICE self propelled for $350. I am sure this will fall apart in 5 years, but hopefully I can get the Mach-E of mowers by then.
The best is the 7.6kg battery 22" toro. In thick grass torque boost automaticaly turns on. All metal construction with cleaning port, vertical lift to store and easy under cleaning. Easily cuts 80 x 175 lot on one charge. $750 and after three years trouble free.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I've had a battery mower now for 10 years. Both of mine have been Ryobi mowers.

The first one I had used a lead acid battery--yup! It was 48V and 100 lbs*. That one worked great until I was tired of lugging it around (went through a couple of batteries on it).

My current one is a 40V job (this guy is likely the current equivalent). I can easily mow our lawn with one battery but it has a spot to hold a 2nd. About 1/2 way through I just swap the batteries. Easy peasy. Its holding up quite well even after running over a bunch of stuff (branches, sprinkler heads, neighbors dog, etc.). Lite as a feather too.

*=well ok it felt like it was 100lbs

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
We have an EGo snow blower and we were concerned about the batteries staying at 100% too. The batteries actually have built in system for this though.
Ford Mustang Mach-E BEV Lawn Mowers, I am going back to ICE! 1685055652983

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
I see you are texas, so you probably mow year round? I had concerns about leaving the batteries idle Nov-May every year
I mow April-November. After a month of non use, the batteries will slowly discharge themselves down to 30% to extend their useful life.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
For me, the problem isn’t the range but the power. The EGO just wasn’t strong enough to effectively bag or mulch. Left two many lines of unmulched/bagged clippings on the yard.

I went with an 80v Kobalt, which was just barely adequate power-wise.

Anthropod

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, on order 2022 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
Centipede Grass

Kobalt Gen4 40-Volt Brushless Self Propelled
1/2 Acre

I have a bunch of their 40-volt batteries. Mower came with a 6AH.

My son can mow it all with the 6AH if he doesn't forget to charge it. If he does, he goes grabs a bunch of the 2AH

But!

We have about 10 acres of land here in town, and I can't tell you how many acres of mowing we have. 3 would be my guess as we have woods and a big pond. We hire out most of it. My son just does the backyard part that is fenced in, as we like for that to be kept up a bit more than the rest.

So we are responsible for a lot of greenhouse gasses, with the other being mowed every two weeks during a 7-month window.