Rocket

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT standard
Country flag
Hi, this is my first post. I just got my GT standard edition 1.5 weeks ago. Let me start by saying I love it! However, I did notice some small black marks on my star white paint from the dealer. I thought they would come off with a good wash. I tried carefully scraping the small spots with my fingernail and some came off, some did not. Most are on the painted tire fenders. I took it for a hand spray wash today and got the pressure wash close to the fender and l to my horror, a piece a paint flew right off. I called up my rep at the dealer and he is going to look at it in a few days when I bring it in. I'm worried about the quality of the paint especially on the plastic fenders. Hopefully there will be a recall if there is a problem with the paint.

20211115_142321.jpg

20211115_142326.jpg

20211115_142330.jpg

OP
OP

Rocket

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT standard
Country flag
This sounds like just a factory defect on your car. Both of my mach e's have had no issues with the paint. My star white f350 also has had no issues with the paint.
Good to know. Hopefully it is just a factory defect. Will keep you posted.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Yikes. Looks like Ford owes you a repainted fender. Haven't had any concerns with my paint.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
What psi pressure washer and how close did you get? Pressure washers will take off even the best paint if you get too close with it...especially if you are using gas with the wrong nozzle.

OP
OP

Rocket

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT standard
Country flag
What psi pressure washer and how close did you get? Pressure washers will take off even the best paint if you get too close with it...especially if you are using gas with the wrong nozzle.
I was at a hand car wash. Yes the pressure was high. I've owned many cars and have had to get the pressure wash close to get some small spots off. Never seen anything like this. The paint came off like Teflon tape.

OP
OP

Rocket

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT standard
Country flag
If you started off thinking it was on the paint but was actually a chip, the pressure washer will do that. Even on the best paint.
Was definitely not a chip. I tried to get it off with my fingernail. I have been pretty good at checking my car all around see it is new.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I was at a hand car wash. Yes the pressure was high. I've owned many cars and have had to get the pressure wash close to get some small spots off. Never seen anything like this. The paint came off like Teflon tape.
You've gotten lucky with your other vehicles if you have done this often. You're gambling getting close with a pressure washer especially on plastic as the paint has a tougher time naturally adhering to it.

I would count your lucky stars if Ford agrees to fix this.

MotownMachdoc

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
Hi, this is my first post. I just got my GT standard edition 1.5 weeks ago. Let me start by saying I love it! However, I did notice some small black marks on my star white paint from the dealer. I thought they would come off with a good wash. I tried carefully scraping the small spots with my fingernail and some came off, some did not. Most are on the painted tire fenders. I took it for a hand spray wash today and got the pressure wash close to the fender and l to my horror, a piece a paint flew right off. I called up my rep at the dealer and he is going to look at it in a few days when I bring it in. I'm worried about the quality of the paint especially on the plastic fenders. Hopefully there will be a recall if there is a problem with the paint.

Ford Mustang Mach-E BEWARE  of the paint on the GT 20211115_142330

Pressure washer on new car paint is asking for trouble. There are better safer products to use on tar and bugs that won’t strip or chip the paint.

dkmatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE on order
Country flag

20211115_142321.jpg

20211115_142326.jpg

20211115_142330.jpg
Welcome to the wonderful world of water based paints, brought to you by the EPA , unfortunately this can happen on any mass produced auto

Last edited:

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Welcome to the wonderful world of water based paints, brought to you by the EPA , unfortunately this can happen on any mass produced auto
This… don’t worry your clear coat will be gone in 5-10 years as well lol. Although, in your case it was definitely accelerated by a chip in the paint.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This… don’t worry your clear coat will be gone in 5-10 years as well lol. Although, in your case it was definitely accelerated by a chip in the paint.
Did some digging and while many manufacturers switched to waterborne paints a couple of decades ago, seems Ford went the other direction and starting in 2007 and expanding in 2013 a solvent based paint system that's allowing for application of all 3 layers (primer, color, clear) while still wet.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...by-50-percent-globally-in-2013-201176181.html

I found the paint to be hard when I polished it out on my car which means it should be more durable and scratch resistant than many other types of paint (waterborne), but hardness comes at a cost with respect to resistance to rock chips. (less flex)

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I would never take a power washer to my plastic painted parts.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
The plastic painted parts are no where near as durable as the metal painted. Having my shiny black bumper touched up toady, and it is shockingly thin paint compared to the metal paint.
Sponsored