scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I would never take a power washer to my plastic painted parts.
As others have pointed out, it does depend on the psi of the power washer and how close you place it.

When I use a power washer at home with a foam attachment for soap, I'm only using the white lowest power tip and standing 3 feet away.

It sounds here that the OP might have been using a far more powerful jet of water at a public sprayer bay, standing very close to the car and the plastic fender, and the fender may have already had a paint chip or paint adherence issue. All of this might have caused or contributed to the problem.
Sponsored

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Did some digging and while many manufacturers switched to waterborne paints a couple of decades ago, seems Ford went the other direction and starting in 2007 and expanding in 2013 a solvent based paint system that's allowing for application of all 3 layers (primer, color, clear) while still wet.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...by-50-percent-globally-in-2013-201176181.html

I found the paint to be hard when I polished it out on my car which means it should be more durable and scratch resistant than many other types of paint (waterborne), but hardness comes at a cost with respect to resistance to rock chips. (less flex)
Maybe but my employers fleet of f-150s and focus’ disagree. They all peel just looking at them. White seems to be the worse by far though.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I would defiantly not mention the power washer part....

Should never bring a pressure washer close to your paint. They make stuff to remove tar, bug guts, and all types of stuff for a reason. I forget the stuff I use at home, but I just spray the front down with it then foam up rest of the car then come back to the front. Never have any bugs, just washes right off with the foam.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I would defiantly not mention the power washer part....

Should never bring a pressure washer close to your paint. They make stuff to remove tar, bug guts, and all types of stuff for a reason. I forget the stuff I use at home, but I just spray the front down with it then foam up rest of the car then come back to the front. Never have any bugs, just washes right off with the foam.
If you remember, please let us know. I've been looking for a good bug removal product.

As far as painted plastic goes, are the black pieces above the wheels on the Premium painted or just black plastic?

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
If you remember, please let us know. I've been looking for a good bug removal product.

As far as painted plastic goes, are the black pieces above the wheels on the Premium painted or just black plastic?
Anyone care to chime in on either of my questions?

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Shit, I forgot to check when I got home yesterday. I'll try to remember to check tonight.

dwee415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber blue Mach E GT non-performance
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
This forum has made me scared of automatic car washes as they can cause damage to the paint. Now this thread has made me scared of washing my own car as I can cause damage to the paint.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This forum has made me scared of automatic car washes as they can cause damage to the paint. Now this thread has made me scared of washing my own car as I can cause damage to the paint.
Just don't put a pressure washer an inch away from your paint and you will be fine. Oh, and don't use the pressure washer around the emblems cause it will rip them off. Oh, also don't use it too close to where the top of the windshield and pano roof meet. Also don't use it too close to the back as it likes to leak water on some cars..

On second thought, maybe you should be scared :D

Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 mach 2004 Cobra 2007 GT500
Country flag
I would try using a Mothers clay bar kit to remove specks in the clearcoat/paint.

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I will keep my eyes open for that on my gray GT. If I member correctly the premium model and the standard model both have shiny fender flares I wonder if they forgot to prep those fender flares to except the paint properly hence it just peeled off.

Nomation

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Country flag
Hi, this is my first post. I just got my GT standard edition 1.5 weeks ago. Let me start by saying I love it! However, I did notice some small black marks on my star white paint from the dealer. I thought they would come off with a good wash. I tried carefully scraping the small spots with my fingernail and some came off, some did not. Most are on the painted tire fenders. I took it for a hand spray wash today and got the pressure wash close to the fender and l to my horror, a piece a paint flew right off. I called up my rep at the dealer and he is going to look at it in a few days when I bring it in. I'm worried about the quality of the paint especially on the plastic fenders. Hopefully there will be a recall if there is a problem with the paint.

20211115_142321.jpg

20211115_142326.jpg

20211115_142330.jpg
Just found this on my GT-PE, happening under both headlights

paint issues 2.jpg

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
This is the exact reason I would never pressure wash my car. Hand wash only for me with a regular hose. Although on my 22 Grabber Blue, that particular area on the fender is a strip black trim for me.

Nomation

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Country flag
This is the exact reason I would never pressure wash my car. Hand wash only for me with a regular hose. Although on my 22 Grabber Blue, that particular area on the fender is a strip black trim for me.
Can you send a photo? My 21 GTPE does not have a seal around the headlights.

20220524_082232.jpg

20220524_082155.jpg

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
Does Ford sell touch up paint for our cars? Any 3rd party touch up paint anyone recommends?

I have a few spots on my front fender where rocks have chipped the paint

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Does Ford sell touch up paint for our cars? Any 3rd party touch up paint anyone recommends?

I have a few spots on my front fender where rocks have chipped the paint
Yes, they sell Ford touchup paint. I've never found a car dealer that didn't.
Sponsored