pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Hallo all! I can't find an exact answer to this question, so here goes: has a solution for carrying bikes or other cargo been published or disclosed anywhere?

A truck/hatch mount style rack seems to be out of the question (based on owner manual seemingly prohibiting this)

Hitch mount is questionable, given no towing in the US and no aftermarket hitch options currently presenting themselves.

Roof Rack system - Also questionable. I saw the prototype at the Portland Autoshow earlier this year and the roof didn't seem to have mounting points, and certainly didn't have rails. Anyone see if aftermarket companies are working on a roof edge/door sill mounts?

I have a First Edition on order that goes into production in next couple weeks, for what I assume means early January delivery. And watching all the videos lately I'm really excited and really want to go through with this order. Maybe not popular on this site, but I just can't see going through with this purchase if there isn't a definite solution on the near horizon for a option to carry cargo/bike other than what I can stuff in the back.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Aftermarket roof mount bike racks design specifically for the MME won't appear until the cars are delivered to customers. The aftermarket companies need an actual vehicle to measure first.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I suspect there will be a 3rd party hitch option once the manufacturers get ahold of a car to prototype one, but of course that depends on space behind the rear bumper and will not be available until at least a few months after the demos arrive at the dealers.

The seasuckers are pretty slick, albeit pricy.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I currently have cross bars on my VW but they howl in the wind. I'm hoping I can get a set of seasuckers, like already mentioned in this thread, to tote my bikes around with. I just need to get over the price of them. Lot of money for a couple of suction cups

OP
OP
pdxzzr

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
OP
OP
pdxzzr

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Aftermarket roof mount bike racks design specifically for the MME won't appear until the cars are delivered to customers. The aftermarket companies need an actual vehicle to measure first.
I think this is often true, but sometimes not. Subaru comes to mind in that there are often aftermarket roof racks available a model launch. Also, Yakima has already announced roof rack availability for the new Ford Bronco at launch, but don't seem to have anything similar so far for the MME.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Yeah, I have been talking about this for months. It's about the only thing I am upset with Ford about regarding the Mach E that they would not give us the hitch option in the US. I have a Saris hitch mount rack on my Escape that I just love and hate that I will lose that unless there is an aftermarket hitch solution. On the other hand, I don't want to "Frankenstein" my Mach E with something that is Jerry rigged to it.
I may just have to borrow the Escape from my daughter for my half dozen times I haul my bike to a trail to ride.
I think if I used one of those suction cup things I would constantly be looking up to make sure my bike had not flown off.

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Jaguar XK, Peugeot Bipper Tepee
Occupation
Semi retired management consultant
Country flag
Yeah, I have been talking about this for months. It's about the only thing I am upset with Ford about regarding the Mach E that they would not give us the hitch option in the US. I have a Saris hitch mount rack on my Escape that I just love and hate that I will lose that unless there is an aftermarket hitch solution. On the other hand, I don't want to "Frankenstein" my Mach E with something that is Jerry rigged to it.
I may just have to borrow the Escape from my daughter for my half dozen times I haul my bike to a trail to ride.
I think if I used one of those suction cup things I would constantly be looking up to make sure my bike had not flown off.
In the UK we may not be getting our cars any time soon. But oh boy when we do —————-
Ford Mustang Mach-E Bike Rack Solution? 028186BB-DD6C-42AF-874E-EF8E8C9093E8

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I bought a seasucker 2-bike mount on Black Friday.

I also have a Saris Bones rack I may put on for additional bikes if needed. I don't see an issue with using one of these racks to secure on the trunk; you just have to remove it before you operate the trunk (which I believe is the reason for the warning in the manual).

stroszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 92x
Country flag
I like the look of seasuckers but I'm paranoid about damaging the glass roof. Also I'd be using it to carry a canoe and while they mention in passing that you can use the crossbar version for that I can't find anyone online who actually uses it for that purpose.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I like the look of seasuckers but I'm paranoid about damaging the glass roof. Also I'd be using it to carry a canoe and while they mention in passing that you can use the crossbar version for that I can't find anyone online who actually uses it for that purpose.
Yeah fair point. A canoe is likely heavier than a couple bikes (weight limit for bikes is 45 lbs each).

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I bought a seasucker 2-bike mount on Black Friday.

I also have a Saris Bones rack I may put on for additional bikes if needed. I don't see an issue with using one of these racks to secure on the trunk; you just have to remove it before you operate the trunk (which I believe is the reason for the warning in the manual).
I was taking a bike off my Saris Bones rack off the back of my Escape and had the fob in my pocket. My foot went under the tailgate, and the hatch started to lift with that strap holder in the roofline. Made a bend on one side of my roof. Next week bought the hitch mount.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Citroën Berlingo 2009
Country flag
Ford Norway has said from the start that they will have a tow hitch option to be mounted at their dealer workshops. It won‘t just be a bicycle rack hitch, it will be able to tow a trailer as well, just like a Model X

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I would be willing to bet that we in the states will be able to tap the market and get a “euro” hitch ordered somewhere. The VW scene orders German spec OEM equipment all the time for things we don’t get in the US. One of those hitch bike racks would be ideal. I had a very embarrassing moment with my roof rack and backed my bike into the house because I forgot it was up there after driving home an hour. I would prefer not to go roof rack again. That was a costly mistake
Sponsored