Bt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mazda 3
Country flag
As pretty much everyone is aware in the Midwest, we're in a blizzard. It's a lot less snow than most of us hoped for, but it's been subzero temps and pretty nasty winds of sustained 20+mph with gusts up to 50+mph.

I've had COVID for the past 9 days and since I'm finally feeling better, I'm dropping off my PCR sample to our state testing facility (because it's free and gets me out of the house). I live in eastern Iowa in between a couple of larger towns and most of my driving is around I80 and county roads to get to a highway.

Today's trip we have -4 to -8f, 25mph winds sustained, and hefty gusts. This was about 30 mi round trip, mix of country road, county roads, and high way.

TLDR: auto mode at 78 with preconditioning means you're gonna have a great time.

I will say, don't drive in a blizzard if you can avoid it. Don't tailgate. Don't speed. Try to be like a grandma on the road. You'll probably not total your car.

Setup:
- preconditioning with departure of "warm" with car plugged in.
- SOC 100%, why not.
- MachE is in a garage. Its not heated, but it's attached. About 60s in there.
- seat warmer to 1 (3 is kinda too hot with layers)
- heated steering wheel on
- It's an extended battery eAWD 2022 CR1.

Durning the drive:
- HVAC set to auto at 72, bumped up to 78 about 10 min in. This made a huge difference. With stopping frost. Don't try to set your own settings. Use Auto set to 3.
- AC was off. I tried turning it on, but it didn't seem to make too much of a difference.
- Running lights on (it's a blizzard and I want people to see my white car)
- Cruise control was off for in town and county roads. On the highway, I did use bluecruise because it was well plowed and sanded. 10/10 Iowa DOT. It worked really well given the snow moving across and kept my distance to a maximum setting
- Wind seemed hardly noticable. I was really impressed with how well traction worked. I kept one pedal driving on, although it really should be off because it's a bit aggressive on breaking with unbridled mode.
- I had a few white out conditions leaving town because most of our farmers along the highway don't have tree lines beyond their houses and a derecho a few years ago killed what treeline was left near us.
- When I got to my destination, I didn't turn off my car. I've found if I do that in the cold, the HVAC struggles to keep up again. Plus we're in the Midwest. Who's gonna try to grab my car when we're all here for the same drop off?
- The drive back was just as easy. HVAC stayed toasty. Had to take off layers because it was so warm.

End of the trip:
About 30 mi round trip. 2.0 mi/kw but not sure I believe that. Exterior temp usage was 10%. I'm not sure what the new HVAC update did, but that seems amazing compared to earlier when it was in the 40s and ate up more. HVAC took about 30% which is pretty good given it's -8f. I only used about 10% battery, which would be 9.1kw so pretty good over all.

I'll attach some photos from the drive, but great vehicle for "in town" car living out in the sticks. Hopefully my test is negative and I can see some family for the holidays. Stay safe and warm out there and great job Ford. It's a pretty solid car. All the F150s in the ditch seemed sad as I drove by. 😅

Ford Mustang Mach-E Blizzard driving (30 mi) from rural Iowa to civilization PXL_20221223_154659456
Ford Mustang Mach-E Blizzard driving (30 mi) from rural Iowa to civilization PXL_20221223_154358346.MP
Ford Mustang Mach-E Blizzard driving (30 mi) from rural Iowa to civilization PXL_20221223_151944817
Ford Mustang Mach-E Blizzard driving (30 mi) from rural Iowa to civilization PXL_20221223_150123922
Ford Mustang Mach-E Blizzard driving (30 mi) from rural Iowa to civilization PXL_20221223_151258571
Ford Mustang Mach-E Blizzard driving (30 mi) from rural Iowa to civilization PXL_20221223_153300741

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Hi, Fellow Iowegan!

Taking my 4X Premium to the grocery store soon. Not much snow in SW IA but I fishtailed yesterday running errands. I attribute it to the incredible torque off the line. Just too easy to go fast when starting out. Be safe out there and hope you’re recovered.

• Love
Reactions: Bt3
OP
OP

Bt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mazda 3
Country flag
Hi, Fellow Iowegan!

Taking my 4X Premium to the grocery store soon. Not much snow in SW IA but I fishtailed yesterday running errands. I attribute it to the incredible torque off the line. Just too easy to go fast when starting out. Be safe out there and hope you’re recovered.
Yeah. I saw a few people say to switch to whisper mode and turn off one peddle to avoid a bit of that. Stay safe out there! Avoid the N/S roads. It was brutal!

UnforAll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E 4x Premium IB; '13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Occupation
Grad Student
Country flag
As pretty much everyone is aware in the Midwest, we're in a blizzard. It's a lot less snow than most of us hoped for, but it's been subzero temps and pretty nasty winds of sustained 20+mph with gusts up to 50+mph.

I've had COVID for the past 9 days and since I'm finally feeling better, I'm dropping off my PCR sample to our state testing facility (because it's free and gets me out of the house). I live in eastern Iowa in between a couple of larger towns and most of my driving is around I80 and county roads to get to a highway.

Today's trip we have -4 to -8f, 25mph winds sustained, and hefty gusts. This was about 30 mi round trip, mix of country road, county roads, and high way.

TLDR: auto mode at 78 with preconditioning means you're gonna have a great time.

I will say, don't drive in a blizzard if you can avoid it. Don't tailgate. Don't speed. Try to be like a grandma on the road. You'll probably not total your car.

Setup:
- preconditioning with departure of "warm" with car plugged in.
- SOC 100%, why not.
- MachE is in a garage. Its not heated, but it's attached. About 60s in there.
- seat warmer to 1 (3 is kinda too hot with layers)
- heated steering wheel on
- It's an extended battery eAWD 2022 CR1.

Durning the drive:
- HVAC set to auto at 72, bumped up to 78 about 10 min in. This made a huge difference. With stopping frost. Don't try to set your own settings. Use Auto set to 3.
- AC was off. I tried turning it on, but it didn't seem to make too much of a difference.
- Running lights on (it's a blizzard and I want people to see my white car)
- Cruise control was off for in town and county roads. On the highway, I did use bluecruise because it was well plowed and sanded. 10/10 Iowa DOT. It worked really well given the snow moving across and kept my distance to a maximum setting
- Wind seemed hardly noticable. I was really impressed with how well traction worked. I kept one pedal driving on, although it really should be off because it's a bit aggressive on breaking with unbridled mode.
- I had a few white out conditions leaving town because most of our farmers along the highway don't have tree lines beyond their houses and a derecho a few years ago killed what treeline was left near us.
- When I got to my destination, I didn't turn off my car. I've found if I do that in the cold, the HVAC struggles to keep up again. Plus we're in the Midwest. Who's gonna try to grab my car when we're all here for the same drop off?
- The drive back was just as easy. HVAC stayed toasty. Had to take off layers because it was so warm.

End of the trip:
About 30 mi round trip. 2.0 mi/kw but not sure I believe that. Exterior temp usage was 10%. I'm not sure what the new HVAC update did, but that seems amazing compared to earlier when it was in the 40s and ate up more. HVAC took about 30% which is pretty good given it's -8f. I only used about 10% battery, which would be 9.1kw so pretty good over all.

I'll attach some photos from the drive, but great vehicle for "in town" car living out in the sticks. Hopefully my test is negative and I can see some family for the holidays. Stay safe and warm out there and great job Ford. It's a pretty solid car. All the F150s in the ditch seemed sad as I drove by. 😅

Ford Mustang Mach-E Blizzard driving (30 mi) from rural Iowa to civilization PXL_20221223_153302486.TS
Ford Mustang Mach-E Blizzard driving (30 mi) from rural Iowa to civilization PXL_20221223_153302486.TS

And the car looks great in the snow!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Just to clarify what appears to be unclear.

- No one can drive that car away without the fob, or PaaK.
- You can hit 7/8 9/0 on the keypad to lock it while running.

Therefore, no one can grab it whether you leave it running or not - unless you leave the fob / phone inside and don't lock it.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Therefore, no one can grab it whether you leave it running or not - unless you leave the fob / phone inside and don't lock it.
If I leave the car running, exit with the key fob, and hit the lock button on my way out do the doors lock? I always am coming back with the fob so haven’t had a chance to check whether the fob has unlocked it or if it never locked. I don’t want anyone to steal my Yeti cooler from the back as I usually leave it in the car for warehouse runs.

OP
OP

Bt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mazda 3
Country flag

I forgot about the 7/8 9/0 lock trick. I usually just take the fob and phone with me and the car stays on. It's like 3 minutes in and out I'm doing. But I'll have to remember that for next time! Unfortunately I have a pixel 7 pro, so I'm lucky if I can get PaaK to work consistently. 😑

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
If I leave the car running, exit with the key fob, and hit the lock button on my way out do the doors lock? I always am coming back with the fob so haven’t had a chance to check whether the fob has unlocked it or if it never locked. I don’t want anyone to steal my Yeti cooler from the back as I usually leave it in the car for warehouse runs.
I believe you must close the door and hit the 7/8 9/0 to lock it while running, but haven't tested the interior button doing it. That does NOT work if you leave the fob in the car, I know that.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I believe you must close the door and hit the 7/8 9/0 to lock it while running, but haven't tested the interior button doing it. That does NOT work if you leave the fob in the car, I know that.
Yeah the interior button is a bit hit or miss it seems, at least on my F-150 if I hit interior lock with the truck running and even taking the fob, I have heard it unlock when I close the door. But if I use the exterior buttons all is well.

But... I have only done that when on a roadtrip and the family is in the car and the more I think about it, it may have been unlocking because it detected my wife's FOB or something. So yeah, maybe still uncertain on that end. But the exterior buttons have always taken no matter if she is there or not so I just got used to doing that.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Get better!

Exact same conditions out here west of Toronto, but only -11c. Ran out ostensibly to pick up some last minute gifts, but to be honest the real reason was to drive the Mach-E in the snow :)

AWD + snow tires worked as I expected. The roads were pretty dismal, I think the cold temps and blowing snow made it hard to keep up with the salting - it was essentially frozen slush.

We had rain this morning followed by dropping temps which iced the car over a bit, so it was nice to see the doors open with enough force to break the ice. No preconditioning, no cabin heating, just got in and turned it on. Snow & ice on the front window began melting very quickly, unlike waiting 15 minutes in a frozen ICE car.

Had I been driving a longer distance I would have been a bit more judicious with internal temps, but still only had it set to 20c. Toasty.

Stay safe out there...

Last edited:

Steph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 MME PREMIUM AWD ER
Country flag
Fellow Iowan here. I was curious how it would do in this weather, but 2.0 mi/kWh is better than I expected. I’ve seen 1.8 over a short, but fast (80 mph), drive in cold weather without snow/rain. I sacrificed nothing to stay warm and keep the defrost on as well. Thanks for sharing and hope you’re feeling better!

Reactions: Bt3

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
Hi, Fellow Iowegan!

Yes, the aggressive torque is sometimes a problem in snowy or rainy conditions. Putting the car in Whisper mode in those conditions makes a big difference for me.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, the aggressive torque is sometimes a problem in snowy or rainy conditions. Putting the car in Whisper mode in those conditions makes a big difference for me.
I did that right after I fishtailed. It has made the driving on snow easier to control.

Maverick_Grabber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Volvo S60
Country flag
So what if the windows are

So to be crystal clear, if the car is running, locked via the keypad and the key fob is not inside:
They break the window and open the door from the inside. Besides hearing the alarm, they can't drive away in the car?
Too cool for school...

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
So what if the windows are

So to be crystal clear, if the car is running, locked via the keypad and the key fob is not inside:
They break the window and open the door from the inside. Besides hearing the alarm, they can't drive away in the car?
Too cool for school...
Yeah, but won’t be able to make it far, I think. Call to 911, check ford pass for location, shut car down with call to Ford, and you know where they are. Also, can turn car off from Ford Pass.
Sponsored