Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e
Occupation
District service manager with 50 plus years in the field
Country flag
My Blue cruise has recently started wandering. It never did this before.
When it is engaged, if I keep my hands on the wheel, it will constantly fight me and pull to the right. If I take my hands off the wheel, it will jerk to the right out of the lane and give the departure warning. Once I get it back centered and let go of the wheel, it will ping pong.
This is new it never did this before. Is this a known issue? Is it an update issue?
I am afraid to take my hands off the wheel. I used to love it for heavy stop and go low speed traffic.
Sponsored

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The scenario where hands-free BC goes so far to the right that it leaves the lane and then the car gives a lane departure alert has happened to me a few times (over several thousand miles of usage). It's definitely weird that this can happen, and seems like a pretty bad bug for a system that demands a level of trust.

The ping-ponging, hugging the right lane, and jumping to the far right side of the lane when its first engaged has been my experience from the beginning. For me it's inconsistent. Sometimes it behaves pretty well, and other times it's so bad that I need to turn off Bluecruise.

Rumors are that BC version 1.2 solves these problems and 2021/2022 cars are getting it this year. I sure hope so, because it's pretty half-baked in its current form IMHO.

OP
OP

Jim622

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e
Occupation
Country flag
Ford should escalate this is a safety problem. This has the potential to cause an accident and or injury/fatality

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Ford should escalate this is a safety problem. This has the potential to cause an accident and or injury/fatality
Agreed. But Ford doesn't seem to care enough to even acknowledge things like this. They also have the widespread "drive mode not available" bug that unexpectedly switches the drive mode (including steering, throttle response, regen braking behavior) while you're driving. No acknowledgement, no idea if/when it'll be fixed.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
My '21 (BC 1.0) often wants to pull to the right. I have to let it start to cross the line, then it will give the lane departure warning (as if I did it) and move back into the lane. I've made the comment that if the police were following me, I'd probably get pulled over and checked for sobriety. But I often can not get it to center into the lane unless I let it depart the lane.

It doesn't _always_ do it, but it is fairly common.

My '23 (BC 1.2) doesn't seem to do this anymore.

Deleted member 16048

The ping ponging is part of 1.0 It's just how it behaves and is normal behavior as the software is 1.0. I would advise not to try and correct it from pulling to the right when you first engage it. This will make the condition worse. Instead, wait until the right lane is clear and then engage it, and let it do its dance. It will be happy after that with slight ping ponging but not as drastic.

JustBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE, Impala, Santa Fe
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Mine always wants to pull to the right. I try to get to the far right before letting go of the wheel. Usually will correct itself before crossing the line. After the initial release of the wheel it holds pretty well (no ping ponging). Still seems to ride just right of centered.

ScottMcCool

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Premium AWD ER MME
Country flag
My blue cruise stopped offering hands free on roads that used to always be hands free. I assume I need to take it in to the dealer.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The ping ponging is part of 1.0 It's just how it behaves and is normal behavior as the software is 1.0. I would advise not to try and correct it from pulling to the right when you first engage it. This will make the condition worse. Instead, wait until the right lane is clear and then engage it, and let it do its dance. It will be happy after that with slight ping ponging but not as drastic.
The good news is it seems like the latest power steering module (PSCM) update some vehicles got seems to have fixed this "torque windup" effect in the pull-drift compensation even with BlueCruise 1.0. It no longer fights you or wants to shoot into the adjacent lane if you let go.

Hopefully this PSCM update can be released for all vehicles soon.

There is still some lane drift and pingponging at times, but this is mostly due to the IPMA software at this point rather than the steering torque reaction.

Markguyver

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Select
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
While I do not have Bluecruise, I use the lane centering regularly and seems to have the same issue. It drives me bananas that it favors the right side of the lane to the point where cars on my right side get spooked. I suspect it's programming that is designed around two-lane roads and not multi-lane highways. Seems like it should know. It also ping-pongs a bit which I chalk up to how much of the road it's reading at a time. Also something it should be able to do better.

OP
OP

Jim622

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e
Occupation
Country flag
I hope this comes soon. I can't wait to try it.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Mine has started giving error messages and telling to resume control when I already have my hands on the wheel. It cuts off and then back on. it was fine before and these pop up messages started around the time 4.2.6 loaded, give or take

EV Enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My Blue cruise has recently started wandering. It never did this before.
When it is engaged, if I keep my hands on the wheel, it will constantly fight me and pull to the right. If I take my hands off the wheel, it will jerk to the right out of the lane and give the departure warning. Once I get it back centered and let go of the wheel, it will ping pong.
This is new it never did this before. Is this a known issue? Is it an update issue?
I am afraid to take my hands off the wheel. I used to love it for heavy stop and go low speed traffic.

EV Enthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I recently used Blue Cruise and it worked intermittently. Does anyone know if there is a maximum speed limit whereby Blue Cruise won't work? It seemed to disengage when I exceeded 80 MPH.
Sponsored