John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I'm personally ok with the performance. It is just an extension of the ACC system for all those times where you're driving and thinking "man this road is pretty simple, I wish I could take my hands off the wheel"
Today, i'll keep a finger or two on the wheel, or be annoyed when my hand is on the wheel but it still yells at me. This is a solution for all those times. It has never been advertised as self driving.

Look at your Cruise Control now. Nothing Changes except there is no more hand nanny when the road is simple.
Does it change lanes? No, but neither does the existing CC.
Does it take exit ramps? No, but neither does the existing CC.
Does it flip off other drivers? No, but now YOU can!
This is the FIRST STEP toward those features. Calm down people. Its not like its disengaging and crashing around corners, its just alerting you to put your hands back on the wheel while it still navigates the turn, just in case. you're supposed to be paying attention to the road anyways because of the eye nanny, what's the harm in lifting your hand for 5 seconds?

Now, do I wish I didn't have to? Sure. Did I think that was the whole purpose of mapping out the roads in the first place? Absolutely. Will I still pay only 600 bucks in order to remove the hand nanny? Definitely.
Yup. Me too. One of my frequent drives is down to my two oldest children's college. Round trip, it's within range of one charge, but it's 85 miles of bone straight road each way, and it looks like it's almost entirely covered end-to-end by BlueCruise. Just for that drive alone, being able to go hands-free 90% of it is worth it to me just to spare the elbow and shoulder fatigue. (Don't get older. It sucks.)

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
Here's my thinking: I bought the Mach E to, you know, actually drive the car myself. If I wanted to sleep, eat, play video games while driving, there's this radical mode of transpiration called taxis, Uber, and trains :)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Just for a bit of context, the ever controversial Sandy from the Munro Live YouTube channel tried out BlueCruise. Watch Here

In this video it was revealed that in it's current state if a curve is deemed "too tight" the system makes you put your hands on anyway. (In the video it really didn't look like a tight curve at all) This is not something Tesla FSD Does. As far as I know GM's super cruise doesn't do that either.

Being the pot-stirrer that I am I think we need to draw the attention of @Ford Motor Company to this. We don't want to be paying $600 for a "hands free" feature that's not even hands free.

As soon as the software rolls out we know there are going to be at least 5 threads full of people complaining about this. So we might as well get ahead of the curve and tell Ford this needs to be addressed before it's an issue.. right?

Like I said... Pot stirrer ?
To be frank, your thread title is full of crap. Do you work for The National Enquirer by day? I'll remember in the future that you are one of the unreliable drama queens that frequent boards more to seek attention than to be helpful.

BlueCruise is going to be launched with 130,000 miles of mapped roads. Apparently, when it first comes out it will have some points of some roads (but maybe only at some speeds) when it will determine it cannot yet travel that curve safely in hands-free but instead will ask the driver to take the wheel. If that is your definition of useless, feel free to take a pass on buying it until it is more to your liking.

Ford has told us many times its systems will be learning though time. I'll bet it reports back each and every incident where it requires the driver to take over and the team uses that to improve the system. How does it do that? Through lots of driver miles and improvement.

Yep, there is no question that BlueCruise needs improvement. What initial release doesn't? I'm surprised those curves were too sharp for BlueCruise to handle but it may have had something to do with Sandy doing 79 on that interstate.

I for one am looking forward to getting ahold of BlueCruise and seeing where these issues crop up in my normal routes. I'm also looking forward to seeing the system improve.

If you plan to continue to toss out terms like useless so freely, I'll be sure to expand my ignore list.

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
To be frank, your thread title is full of crap. Do you work for The National Enquirer by day? I'll remember in the future that you are one of the unreliable drama queens that frequent boards more to seek attention than to be helpful.

BlueCruise is going to be launched with 130,000 miles of mapped roads. Apparently, when it first comes out it will have some points of some roads (but maybe only at some speeds) when it will determine it cannot yet travel that curve safely in hands-free but instead will ask the driver to take the wheel. If that is your definition of useless, feel free to take a pass on buying it until it is more to your liking.

Ford has told us many times its systems will be learning though time. I'll bet it reports back each and every incident where it requires the driver to take over and the team uses that to improve the system. How does it do that? Through lots of driver miles and improvement.

Yep, there is no question that BlueCruise needs improvement. What initial release doesn't? I'm surprised those curves were too sharp for BlueCruise to handle but it may have had something to do with Sandy doing 79 on that interstate.

I for one am looking forward to getting ahold of BlueCruise and seeing where these issues crop up in my normal routes. I'm also looking forward to seeing the system improve.

If you plan to continue to toss out terms like useless so freely, I'll be sure to expand my ignore list.
Ok then ?. Clearly you disagree with what I have to say. If you choose to block me as a result, you can do that. That's up to you ☺.

That being said, I do feel like I could've made my point in a better way.

You're right. This is Ford's first attempt. It's not going to be perfect. And they have promised future improvements (taking curves being one of them). My disappointment I suppose is more with the marketing. No promises were made, true, but the marketing around BlueCruise led us to believe it's on par with Tesla autosteer, GM super cruise, etc. But now it's become apparent that's not the case. They have some catching up to do. Again that's ok. The marketing up to this point was misleading. And it is what it is.

Will I still buy BlueCruise? Yes! Because I want to show my support for further development of the technology.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
No promises were made, true, but the marketing around BlueCruise led us to believe it's on par with Tesla autosteer, GM super cruise, etc. But now it's become apparent that's not the case.
There are enough threads on here and a NHTSA investigation that show Tesla's Autopilot has serious issues. As for GM, a quick google search yields:
"Over 380 miles on I-95, Super Cruise drove for 346. It also canceled 25 times ... at one point, there were four cancelations within 10.2 miles. Sometimes Super Cruise would cancel and then turn right back on, other times it would refuse to engage for a few miles.", etc.
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/a36118292/super-cruises-biggest-problem-is-us/

Will I still buy BlueCruise? Yes! Because I want to show my support for further development of the technology.
You consider it useless and yet you're going to buy it?

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Perhaps a bit of hyperbole in the title then?

Fyi, hyperbole is LITERALLY, the worst thing ever, literally!
LOL! Yes it might have been a bit hyperbolic. ?

I will concede, that it is not in fact totally useless haha! That being said I very much look forward to the day when the "hands-free" system is actually hands-free.

Misleading marketing really gets my goat! Maybe for now we should call it a "less handsy system"

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My disappointment I suppose is more with the marketing. No promises were made, true, but the marketing around BlueCruise led us to believe it's on par with Tesla autosteer, GM super cruise, etc. But now it's become apparent that's not the case.
Misleading marketing really gets my goat! Maybe for now we should call it a "less handsy system"
You saw a 5 minute video of a guy using an as-yet-unreleased piece of software.

Perhaps you should wait until you actually TRY IT YOURSELF before deciding who lied about what, and how useful it is when it actually hits the market? I also invite you to look into the archives to see how error-free supercruise and autopilot were when they first hit the market to decide if your conclusions might be harsher than they ought to be for ver 1.0. Hell, Fake Self Driving is at rev 9.2 and the CEO says it still isn't very good - but he promises the NEXT version will be awesome. No really, this time he MEANS it.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
What does the "self-driving" misnomer have to do with EVs? I'd think people buy an EV over other vehicles because of: 1. Cost of fuel, 2. Incentives, and/or 3. Environmental considerations.

The driver assistance features are a differentiator for ALL cars, regardless of fuel source. Some people will pay more for a slightly better feature, some won't... But it isn't EV exclusive.
exactly, self driving or l2 or whatever has nothing to do with evs. Most of waymos actually fully autonomous taxis are ice vehicles

RussellL

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Tesla Volvo
I'm surprised those curves were too sharp for BlueCruise to handle but it may have had something to do with Sandy doing 79 on that interstate.
Sandy was only doing 72 when the car balked at the curve.

The Ford representative never said the disengagement was due to driving too fast, he said it was due to the "sharp curve".

Ford Mustang Mach-E Blue Cruise is useless if it can't take a curve Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 10.49.58 PM

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Sandy was only doing 72 when the car balked at the curve.

The Ford representative never said the disengagement was due to driving too fast, he said it was due to the "sharp curve".

Ford Mustang Mach-E Blue Cruise is useless if it can't take a curve Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 10.49.58 PM
Note that the video was a beta version last August. Someone should test that curve now and report back. I’ll bet BC takes it fine now.