Blue Cruise is useless if it can't take a curve

CyanLite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD ER
Country flag
L2 self-driving on highways is the killer app for electric cars. EV sales are going to drop for Ford if they don't solve this right away. I've personally decided to delay my order and will wait to see what Hyundai's Ioniq 5 can do and others in regards to self-driving.
Sponsored

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
People talks about EV as smart car. By smart it really means software + "self-driving". More looking forward, new generations want the smart car that's why Tesla becomes a "model" or benchmark. New generations can bear with the build quality as long as the car works as a car, but they will not choose the product which looks and feels antique. At the current phase, I feel the competition around EV is not really about the battery tech or powertrain where all vendors are roughly at the same level and you can achieve the range with the bigger battery for example, but with the software capability to make the car "smart". After-all, ppl has been using smart phones for almost 2 decades and they know how to define the "laggy", "buggy", and lack of content. Building a robust driving machine will still attract lots of buyers now, however, you don't want to lose the newer generations who looks at and weights more on software capability. They want "smart" product not just a car and Tesla has been very successful on leading the young ppls that way. Ford has to make car smarter, it is not only a car.

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
From what I've seen though, Tesla's are actually doing all of the things they listed. There's plenty of recent videos that have shown all of those things. Yes they call it "Full Self Driving Computer" but they clearly list and deliver the features advertised while even promising MORE to come based on development and regulatory approval.
Uh huh ? One of my best friends from college, who has a PhD in computer science and is an AI researcher, is always flooding my inbox with all those YouTube videos too. I’d also add that he believes Elon so much that he bought a boatload of TSLA years ago. Curiously though, he has never purchased a single Tesla vehicle. He keeps purchasing Honda’s and Nissan SUVs that run on Dino juice. All while berating me and all his other friends for not being “green” and getting on the electric vehicle (and in his mind Tesla is synonymous with green and EV) bandwagon ?

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Seems to me that on a straight highway Lane Keeping and Adaptive Cruise Control already do the lion's share of the work.

What will Blue Cruise add to that for $600.00?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
People talks about EV as smart car. By smart it really means software + "self-driving". More looking forward, new generations want the smart car that's why Tesla becomes a "model" or benchmark. New generations can bear with the build quality as long as the car works as a car, but they will not choose the product which looks and feels antique. At the current phase, I feel the competition around EV is not really about the battery tech or powertrain where all vendors are roughly at the same level and you can achieve the range with the bigger battery for example, but with the software to make the car "smart". After-all, ppl has been using smart phones for almost 2 decades and they know how to define the "laggy", "buggy", and lack of content. Building a robust driving machine will still attract lots of buyers now, however, you don't want to lose the newer generations who looks at and weights more on software capability. They want "smart" product not just a car and Tesla has been very successful on leading the young ppls that way. Ford has to make car smarter, it is not only a car.
I’m not sure you’re exactly right. I think Steve Jobs was much closer to the mark and that’s one of the reasons why Tesla is a mess. Here’s what I mean: if I had a nickel for every time someone has stopped me to compliment me on the looks of my car, then ask me about it and get into a conversation about it, I’d have it paid off. Tesla’s have the inspired styling of a 92 Taurus. Would you really flag down a model 3 owner to tell them how cool their car looks? Be honest. Everyone tries to compare Tesla to Apple and it’s a false comparison. Apple is as much about design and experience as it is about software. Steve would never let anything Tesla has produced see the light of day. In fact, I wonder if Steve would let anyone from Tesla work at Apple (other than the talented technical people, and then, only under close supervision).
I’m NOT comparing Ford to Apple at all! I am saying that people care about more than just a piece of software. The Mustang Mach E meets that need for something that is attractive that people WANT. Not just some amorphous blob that people need to get from point A to point B.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
From what I've seen though, Tesla's are actually doing all of the things they listed. There's plenty of recent videos that have shown all of those things. Yes they call it "Full Self Driving Computer" but they clearly list and deliver the features advertised while even promising MORE to come based on development and regulatory approval.
yeah, but Tesla is living out on the beta tech edge, alone more or less. it remains to be seen if anyone follows their path in that regard..

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Seems to me that on a straight highway Lane Keeping and Adaptive Cruise Control already do the lion's share of the work.

What will Blue Cruise add to that for $600.00?
The ability to remove your hands from the steering wheel for significant portions of time.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
L2 self-driving on highways is the killer app for electric cars. EV sales are going to drop for Ford if they don't solve this right away. I've personally decided to delay my order and will wait to see what Hyundai's Ioniq 5 can do and others in regards to self-driving.
What does the "self-driving" misnomer have to do with EVs? I'd think people buy an EV over other vehicles because of: 1. Cost of fuel, 2. Incentives, and/or 3. Environmental considerations.

The driver assistance features are a differentiator for ALL cars, regardless of fuel source. Some people will pay more for a slightly better feature, some won't... But it isn't EV exclusive.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Just for a bit of context, the ever controversial Sandy from the Munro Live YouTube channel tried out BlueCruise. Watch Here

In this video it was revealed that in it's current state if a curve is deemed "too tight" the system makes you put your hands on anyway. (In the video it really didn't look like a tight curve at all) This is not something Tesla FSD Does. As far as I know GM's super cruise doesn't do that either.

Being the pot-stirrer that I am I think we need to draw the attention of @Ford Motor Company to this. We don't want to be paying $600 for a "hands free" feature that's not even hands free.

As soon as the software rolls out we know there are going to be at least 5 threads full of people complaining about this. So we might as well get ahead of the curve and tell Ford this needs to be addressed before it's an issue.. right?

Like I said... Pot stirrer ?
I'd rather the car ask me to take back control than take a chance it may work on its own. Little baby steps are fine. Its worth it to me just to not have the safety nannies bug me every 10 seconds. If the car system judges it best I put my hand on the wheel for a curve or two, then OK by me.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
The ability to remove your hands from the steering wheel for significant portions of time.
Oh, I can take up knitting!!!! I've never found the time before.

Yea, na.... I'd rather drive.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
yeah, but Tesla is living out on the beta tech edge, alone more or less. it remains to be seen if anyone follows their path in that regard..
Mercedes Benz also has driver assistance features comparable to Tesla.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
True. But as Chairman and CEO he doesn't have to purchase the vehicle.

Not true. He's spotted often driving the X or the CyberTruck.
I was referring to my college friend ?

jwhamlin244

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium
Country flag
I'm personally ok with the performance. It is just an extension of the ACC system for all those times where you're driving and thinking "man this road is pretty simple, I wish I could take my hands off the wheel"
Today, i'll keep a finger or two on the wheel, or be annoyed when my hand is on the wheel but it still yells at me. This is a solution for all those times. It has never been advertised as self driving.

Look at your Cruise Control now. Nothing Changes except there is no more hand nanny when the road is simple.
Does it change lanes? No, but neither does the existing CC.
Does it take exit ramps? No, but neither does the existing CC.
Does it flip off other drivers? No, but now YOU can!
This is the FIRST STEP toward those features. Calm down people. Its not like its disengaging and crashing around corners, its just alerting you to put your hands back on the wheel while it still navigates the turn, just in case. you're supposed to be paying attention to the road anyways because of the eye nanny, what's the harm in lifting your hand for 5 seconds?

Now, do I wish I didn't have to? Sure. Did I think that was the whole purpose of mapping out the roads in the first place? Absolutely. Will I still pay only 600 bucks in order to remove the hand nanny? Definitely.
Sponsored