Blue Cruise - No Going Back

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Just something interesting I've noted with blue cruise. Should you be in a situation where you want to go back to normal "hands on" lane centering... You basically can't.

In the driver assist menu you can have lane centering with hands free turned on or off. There's no option for Hands on.

On the connected services page it says "To disable Ford BlueCruise, go to your in-vehicle Connectivity Settings." But there is no toggle for Blue Cruise specifically. So the only way is to turn off ALL vehicle connected services

I'm not really interested in going back to hands on mode myself... But just kind of interesting to note
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Or you could just keep your hands on the wheel when "hands free mode" is on. The car isn't going to yell at you "hey get your stinkin paws off the wheel!!!"

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
You don't HAVE to take your hands off the wheel when it engages. Its just there ready to go if you do decide to take your hands off. Its just lane centering without the keep hands on wheel nags.

I still think their end goal is to just have all things cruise control be called "BlueCruise" but haven't updated all the documentation so its kind of all over the place.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
What about when the trial period ends and someone chooses not to renew?

Does it revert to to hands-on lane centering (like before Blue Cruise was launched)?

Or do you only keep adaptive cruise w/ lane centering? (i.e. no blue bubble)

I think the new naming convention seems to be calling the blue bubble "Blue Cruise", and there are two modes : hands-on, and hands-off.

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Ha ha ha ok well yes. You obviously can just put your hands on the wheel anyway... I guess I was just speculating that someone might get tired of the eye nanny.

But TBH I'm sure sure why I thought of that since I'm not in that boat. Guess I just like stirring the pot? 😬😬🤣🤣

OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
What about when the trial period ends and someone chooses not to renew?

Does it revert to to hands-on lane centering (like before Blue Cruise was launched)?

Or do you only keep adaptive cruise w/ lane centering? (i.e. no blue bubble)

I think the new naming convention seems to be calling the blue bubble "Blue Cruise", and there are two modes : hands-on, and hands-off.
I guess we'll see when they start expiring but I suspect it'll just do hands on mode

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ha ha ha ok well yes. You obviously can just put your hands on the wheel anyway... I guess I was just speculating that someone might get tired of the eye nanny.

But TBH I'm sure sure why I thought of that since I'm not in that boat. Guess I just like stirring the pot? 😬😬🤣🤣
I kind of have a feeling that the eye nanny isn't going away no matter what you do. lol

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag

You’re right, I hate the eye nanny so much that I’ve disabled BlueCruise at times. I literally have my hands on the steering wheel and it’s going off like crazy. The positioning of the sensors means you can’t drive with your hand at 12 o’clock on the wheel, which is where I like to keep my hand when I’m just cruising on the highway. I know most people on here don’t seem to think it’s as much of an issue as I do, but I bet there’s a lot of people who are frustrated with it. The dang car will brake-check even when I have both hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road. Sure, I could simply take my hands off the steering wheel altogether, but even if there wasn’t the horrible ping-pong effect in the lane, driving without your hands on the wheel simply isn’t ever as safe as having them on the wheel. Ford’s horrific placement of the sensors encourages less safe driving habits as a result. If nothing else, there should at least be a software update where the eye nanny is inactive when cruise control is engaged in a non-BlueCruise section of road.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
You’re right, I hate the eye nanny so much that I’ve disabled BlueCruise at times. I literally have my hands on the steering wheel and it’s going off like crazy. The positioning of the sensors means you can’t drive with your hand at 12 o’clock on the wheel, which is where I like to keep my hand when I’m just cruising on the highway. I know most people on here don’t seem to think it’s as much of an issue as I do, but I bet there’s a lot of people who are frustrated with it. The dang car will brake-check even when I have both hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road. Sure, I could simply take my hands off the steering wheel altogether, but even if there wasn’t the horrible ping-pong effect in the lane, driving without your hands on the wheel simply isn’t ever as safe as having them on the wheel. Ford’s horrific placement of the sensors encourages less safe driving habits as a result. If nothing else, there should at least be a software update where the eye nanny is inactive when cruise control is engaged in a non-BlueCruise section of road.
Yep, I've noticed the same with the 12 o clock position when I'm doing Hands-On cruise control. It's pretty annoying. Also, if the sun is anywhere near in front of me, my polarized sunglasses make the eye nanny throw a fit. I sometimes have to lift my glasses up so it can see my eyeballs

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I kind of have a feeling that the eye nanny isn't going away no matter what you do. lol
There are no Blue Zones near me. I also have BlueCruise via the EA OTA. If I engage ACC the car will turn on the hands on bubble along with a message reminding me to keep my hands on. All well and fine. It seems to track the center of the lane better now as well (For me. YMMV). If, however, I drive with my left hand on top of the steering wheel with the wrist and forearm blocking the eye nanny, it will complain. While I don’t drive like that often, I do upon occasion. Perhaps stretching my right arm or doing something on the main screen. Good news is that as soon as you unblock the IR camera it goes back to normal and stops bitching at you. I suspect what I have is what it’s going to be like when BC subscriptions drop off for some.

In the MD-11 we called the aural warnings Bitchin Betty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mpshizzle

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I wonder how many of these issues are mitigated with F-150s sensor placement

Murse-In-Airy