Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I think I missed something. Are you saying that the eye nanny will nag you even if youā€™re not in a Blue Zone? Why would this be a good thing?
Safety

Isnā€™t that the whole point of all these systems?

Yes, they can be annoying. On my last car the lane departure warning would beep at you so I turned it off.

Then I read a story about someone whose life it saved on the forum. I turned all the Nannieā€™s back on.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Am I foolish for looking to buy a car this technologically advanced with no intention of using any of these driver assist features?

I don't even use cruise control on my current car.
Yes. You're spending thousands of dollars on technology with this car. It's loaded with these features, and you're paying for them. If you're either not going to use them, or more importantly UNCOMFORTABLE using them, this may not be the car for you. Without technology, the Mach-E is just a really fast EV. There are plenty of less-expensive EVs on the market.

OP
OP
Boselka

Boselka

First Name
Jason & Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vibedigital.marketing
Vehicles
'16 CMaxEnergi|'17 FocusElectric|'21 Mustang MachE
Occupation
Website Design, Development, and Digital Marketing
Country flag
Watching all the way through is actually helpful, one of the hosts was not a fan, but as they discussed how you approach the system and your expectations really impact your satisfaction with the system. If you come to BlueCruise expecting it to be a self driving system that will take over for you it probably sets you up for disappointment. If instead you look at it as a driving assistance system with limited capability to allow hands free operation then I think people would be more satisfied with the system.
On a road by itself without any objects around it yes I believe you are correct the single camera, combined with probably some GPS data from the pre-mapped routes via LIDAR for blue cruise roads are what help the vehicle maintain where it is on the road (although this has never been fully documented) however from what I have seen when other vehicles come into play around you it is also using the other sensors to maintain some distance or prevent collision.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Am I foolish for looking to buy a car this technologically advanced with no intention of using any of these driver assist features?

I don't even use cruise control on my current car.
Only you can make that determination. I hardly ever used cruise controls until I had adaptive cruise control a few years ago, because except when driving on highways with light traffic I would have to speed up or slow down frequently to go with the flow anyway. Even though ACC in my van is half baked (it only operates above 25 mph and thus is useless in stop-and-go traffic) and its lane keeping assistance requires steering input except on highways that are nearly straight, I use them extensively on the 1,000+ mile drives to Florida via I-95.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Safety

Isnā€™t that the whole point of all these systems?

Yes, they can be annoying. On my last car the lane departure warning would beep at you so I turned it off.

Then I read a story about someone whose life it saved on the forum. I turned all the Nannieā€™s back on.
ā€œSafetyā€ is entirely relative. You could also make a car that refuses to shift out of park if your seatbelt isnā€™t engaged, or a car with a top speed of 65mph, or require mandatory breathalyzer interlocks. Thereā€™s all kinds of things you could do for more safety, but you also have to ask ā€œwill this be a pain in the assā€ and then balance the two.

Applying this balancing to the issue at hand (ha!), the hand-nanny is already kind of a pain in my ass. It nags me even though my hand is on the wheel. Adding an eye-nanny to likewise bitch at me when the hand-nanny is already operative would seem to tip the scales much more from safety to PITA.

In fact, I donā€™t really get the counter-argument. Is it ā€œwell, this prevents somebody from slapping an ankle-weight on the wheelā€? Yeah people can drive drunk, too, or do all kinds of stupid things. Safety versus pain in the ass.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ā€œSafetyā€ is entirely relative. You could also make a car that refuses to shift out of park if your seatbelt isnā€™t engaged, or a car with a top speed of 65mph, or require mandatory breathalyzer interlocks. Thereā€™s all kinds of things you could do for more safety, but you also have to ask ā€œwill this be a pain in the assā€ and then balance the two.

Applying this balancing to the issue at hand (ha!), the hand-nanny is already kind of a pain in my ass. It nags me even though my hand is on the wheel. Adding an eye-nanny to likewise bitch at me when the hand-nanny is already operative would seem to tip the scales much more from safety to PITA.

In fact, I donā€™t really get the counter-argument. Is it ā€œwell, this prevents somebody from slapping an ankle-weight on the wheelā€? Yeah people can drive drunk, too, or do all kinds of stupid things. Safety versus pain in the ass.
No need to compare to other tech, letā€™s just talk about the eye monitor.

Knowing what Bluecruise is and isnā€™t (it is not full autonomous driving), what suggestions do you have to prevent some idiot from treating it like it is and taking a nap?

I also donā€™t know that the government would let Bluecruise exist without a nannie.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Alright, I understand the interweb is no place for sissies. But some insults are just beyond the pale!
Youā€™re right I did cross the line

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On a road by itself without any objects around it yes I believe you are correct the single camera, combined with probably some GPS data from the pre-mapped routes via LIDAR for blue cruise roads are what help the vehicle maintain where it is on the road (although this has never been fully documented)
There is no evidence of this, and Ford has never confirmed it. I highly doubt the highway mapping is anywhere near detailed enough to do anything other than provide a geofence for where it may be enabled. Enough precision to aid with LC would require gobs and gobs of data - not to mention be at the mercy of roadwork, etc.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No need to compare to other tech, letā€™s just talk about the eye monitor.

Knowing what Bluecruise is and isnā€™t (it is not full autonomous driving), what suggestions do you have to prevent some idiot from treating it like it is and taking a nap?

I also donā€™t know that the government would let Bluecruise exist without a nannie.
Iā€¦. didnā€™t say anything of the sort. Iā€™m fine with BC ā€œhands freeā€ requiring an eye nanny. I read @macchiaz-o and you as saying you are glad that the eye-nanny stays active even when the hand-nanny is engaged outside Blue Zones. And while that is arguably marginally safer, it is in my opinion not a good balance between safety and PITA. As I said, there are any manner of things we could do for more safety, but we donā€™t, because we are balancing interests. If I misunderstood, then my apologies.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Iā€¦. didnā€™t say anything of the sort. Iā€™m fine with BC ā€œhands freeā€ requiring an eye nanny. I read @macchiaz-o and you as saying you are glad that the eye-nanny stays active even when the hand-nanny is engaged outside Blue Zones. And while that is arguably marginally safer, it is in my opinion not a good balance between safety and PITA. As I said, there are any manner of things we could do for more safety, but we donā€™t, because we are balancing interests. If I misunderstood, then my apologies.
Understood.

If you havenā€™t used it yet, I think you may change your mind when you do. Itā€™s really not very intrusive.

OP
OP
Boselka

Boselka

First Name
Jason & Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vibedigital.marketing
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
There is no evidence of this, and Ford has never confirmed it. I highly doubt the highway mapping is anywhere near detailed enough to do anything other than provide a geofence for where it may be enabled. Enough precision to aid with LC would require gobs and gobs of data - not to mention be at the mercy of roadwork, etc.
I agree that Ford has never published anything about what the ā€œpre-mapped Blue Cruise eligible roadsā€ provide in terms of data for the vehicle. What we do know is that these pre-mapped roads allow for potential hands free driving because Ford (or a vendor of Ford) pre-mapped the roads using specialized vehicles with LiDAR and more precise GPS hardware. What I can also add after using Blue Cruise across 8,000 miles in 7 different states is that in some construction areas where the road has been moved (i.e. when you have to merge over to the other side of a divided highway for construction of a bridge that is closed for one direction of the highway) blue cruise has stayed enabled and in hands free mode (although I was not comfortable with that so I put my hands on the wheel). However in other instances as soon as the merge started hands free disabled automatically.

Anyway, I donā€™t disagree that this may or may not provide any data in terms of lane keeping. However I believe, with the expense they went through to pre-map these roads with expensive equipment they must provide more than just a geo-fence.

OP
OP
Boselka

Boselka

First Name
Jason & Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vibedigital.marketing
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Consumer Reports has just released a new video talking about Driver Monitoring and how it will now impact scores of ADAS for their ratings and IIHS.

Sponsored