Bluecruise 1.2 updating coming to 21/22 model years in a few weeks according to the internet

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Here's the difference: if your iPhone crashes or behaves badly it does not potentially become a 5000 pound wrecking ball moving at 75 miles an hour. Not being able to watch tiktoc videos has a lot fewer consequences than swerving all over a busy highway.

In reality BC is damn fine software for what it has to do, but Ford has learned over 120 years that caution is the better part of valor. There's a reason they have a plethora of lawyers.
So, you decided to ignore the fact that I said the exact same damn thing just so you could argue with me? Maybe go read the very next sentence after the one you cherrypicked.

If the software is stable enough to put on ANY cars, it is stable enough to put on all of them.
Sponsored

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Your expectations seem unreasonable. They put features into new cars. Then, they work on incorporating those features into existing cars, which have totally different software on them. So, they upgraded us to the new UI, and now have sent two updates after that. They stopped all BlueCruise updates at dealers (I suspect to level set for giving us 1.2).

If we get it by say end of April, to me that's great. If it takes until end of June, that's ok, but slow. Past that is too long.
"which have totally different software on them"

Source on this? I don't believe that at all.
They have to all be running the same stack for the most part.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
"which have totally different software on them"

Source on this? I don't believe that at all.
They have to all be running the same stack for the most part.
What he means is the that older cars are running a different software version, not entirely different software.

The process to update a module is different than flashing it from blank. That process has to be developed separately from the software that is being installed on new 2023s.

If you had a 2021 J1 you would be familiar with this process. We all went through it last year when Blue Cruise 1.0 was shipping on new cars, but it took Ford 8 months to roll out the OTA update for our cars. They have a better handle on the OTA process now so I donā€™t expect it to be that long of a wait, but Iā€™d still say 6 months.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If the software is stable enough to put on ANY cars, it is stable enough to put on all of them.
Firstly, you said: "Yes, a bricked car is orders of magnitude more annoying than a bricked phone" - which is a far cry different than an out of control 5000 pound car on the highway. Blue cruise is a self driving automation system for limited access highways - bugs will manifest in that environment NOT parked in your driveway.

Secondly you didn't understand MY post: it's ALL about risk management. Think about it as a "clinical trial" before getting FDA approval. If they dump the same version to everyone all at once AND there is a reasonable chance of serious failure then they have hundreds of potential lawsuits and potentially criminal liability. If they release it slowly then they may even be able to recognize and fix the problem before a serious or fatal accident. Right now the 23's are the trial subjects for 1.2.

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Well, to a mostly uninformed outsider like me, it appears that the 4.2.x series of updates was a reissuance of 4.1.x designed to fix some sort of flaw or bug in the 4.1.x updates. That could very well mean they stopped rolling out 4.1.x, at least temporarily, and these EA members were left standing in the wings. Just mostly my speculation though.
Sounds reasonable, but why isnā€™t 4.2.X rolling to all EA members at a minimum? Iā€™m definitely not on the vanguard of EA rollouts and Iā€™ve gotten 4.2.1 and 4.2.2.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Here's the difference: if your iPhone crashes or behaves badly it does not potentially become a 5000 pound wrecking ball moving at 75 miles an hour. Not being able to watch tiktoc videos has a lot fewer consequences than swerving all over a busy highway.

In reality BC is damn fine software for what it has to do, but Ford has learned over 120 years that caution is the better part of valor. There's a reason they have a plethora of lawyers.
I just fully used the nav and BC on a long trip and the nav software is really good, many options that let you customize your route and it has all the info you need, Iā€™m really preferring it for long trips

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Firstly, you said: "Yes, a bricked car is orders of magnitude more annoying than a bricked phone" - which is a far cry different than an out of control 5000 pound car on the highway. Blue cruise is a self driving automation system for limited access highways - bugs will manifest in that environment NOT parked in your driveway.

Secondly you didn't understand MY post: it's ALL about risk management. Think about it as a "clinical trial" before getting FDA approval. If they dump the same version to everyone all at once AND there is a reasonable chance of serious failure then they have hundreds of potential lawsuits and potentially criminal liability. If they release it slowly then they may even be able to recognize and fix the problem before a serious or fatal accident. Right now the 23's are the trial subjects for 1.2.
If there is a chance of ā€œan out of control 5000 pound car on the highwayā€ due to this software, it shouldnā€™t be installed on ANY vehicles. Your argument is bull feces.

As for the clinical trial metaphor... clinical trials donā€™t include 20% or more of the population. Again, bull feces.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If there is a chance of ā€œan out of control 5000 pound car on the highwayā€ due to this software, it shouldnā€™t be installed on ANY vehicles. Your argument is bull feces.

As for the clinical trial metaphor... clinical trials donā€™t include 20% or more of the population. Again, bull feces.
I submit that your username is apt.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
If you had a 2021 J1 you would be familiar with this process. We all went through it last year when Blue Cruise 1.0 was shipping on new cars, but it took Ford 8 months to roll out the OTA update for our cars. They have a better handle on the OTA process now so I donā€™t expect it to be that long of a wait, but Iā€™d still say 6 months.
BC1.0 started pushing OTA to 2021s in late March 2022, a little less than 6mos after it came preinstalled on the 2022s. Best case scenario, BC1.2 will possibly arrive OTA 9-12mos after coming preinstalled on the 2023s. We seem to be moving in the opposite direction.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
BC1.0 started pushing OTA to 2021s in late March 2022, a little less than 6mos after it came preinstalled on the 2022s. Best case scenario, BC1.2 will possibly arrive OTA 9-12mos after coming preinstalled on the 2023s. We seem to be moving in the opposite direction.
Ehh your numbers are a little off. BC 1.0 came out to early access people in March, 8 months after cars came shipped with it. BC 1.0 didnā€™t come to my non-ea car until June, so 11 months after cars came shipped with it. If ford is targeting Q3 for delivery to non-ea cars then that would be 9 months later. Not great, but still better than 1.0. Also donā€™t forget witj 1.9 they were still developing the OTA process and up until that time hadnā€™t done a powertrain update OTA, now they've done that a few times.

Hopefully it will happen faster this time, ultimately it all comes down to incentive. What incentive do they have to update older cars, money. So the incentive to update older cars will depend on if older cars keep subscribing or not.

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
That has to be false, the CSPs don't know what they're talking about. Everyone should be getting the new UI, and if you haven't, it's because your software is messed up and doesn't meet prereqs for the 4.x OTAs. I was told the same until I fixed the software on my car and BOOM got the OTA a few days later.
Hey there, @Mach-Lee . You said you "fixed the software on my car...". How did you fix the software?

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I submit that your username is apt.
I submit that you are wrong. Hereā€™s whyā€¦ THEY ALREADY HAVE THAT SOFTWARE RUNNING ON THE ROAD!!!! If it was going to fail and send a car out of control, they wouldnā€™t have it on the 23ā€™s yet either. What do you not understand about that?

The only legitimate risk is that a car could get bricked while it is updating. Parked. Where it poses no physical danger to anyone. That they are saying it is coming to 21ā€™s and 22ā€™s means that the hardware is capable. They have stable software (so 23 models getting and using it). They have the ability to deliver this upgrade to all vehicles.. they need to do that. There is absolutely no reason not to.

perhaps I should relinquish my screen name so you can use it.. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø