BlueCruise almost here... are you in or out?

kwailau

First Name
Kwai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Just got an email this morning about Ford BlueCruise. It's almost here and I am on the fence about this feature. I'm not a long commuter and don't really see the need for a self driving car. How about you guys?
Ford Mustang Mach-E BlueCruise almost here... are you in or out? Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.11.08 AM
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Just got an email this morning about Ford BlueCruise. It's almost here and I am on the fence about this feature. I'm not a long commuter and don't really see the need for a self driving car. How about you guys?
Ford Mustang Mach-E BlueCruise almost here... are you in or out? Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.11.08 AM
Fall starts September 22 and ends December 21. Just a reminder. :)

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I'm gonna be giving a shot. Figure I'll buy the 3 year pass or w/e and then re-evaluate.

I doubt I'll use it that much because I don't take too many long trips. I do have a 1k mile trip coming up at the end of the month (NC - PA - NY and back) and it'd be nice to have for that. I won't hold my breath though.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
As long as it doesnā€™t display a propensity for driving full speed into parked emergency vehicles (we see you Tesla) Iā€™d probably give it a try for the novelty factor. But, I will not be ā€œusingā€ it.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Interesting how the email pitches the way in which people might use BlueCruise: "Equipped with a series of highā€‘tech cameras, the BlueCruise handsā€‘free highway driving experience allows your Ford vehicle to stay centered in your lane while handling stopā€‘andā€‘go traffic with confidence and comfort."

Usually the focus with these driver assistance features seems to be long-haul highway cruising. But I think stop-and-go traffic is the safer use because if BlueCruise hits a section where it disconnects, it would be safer at slow speeds because the driver would have a lot more time to react.

Also, at least personally, stop-and-go traffic is the most draining type of driving. I don't mind hours of highway cruising on an open road without traffic nearly as much.

Normal adaptive cruise control already basically takes care of stop-and-go traffic in terms of giving your legs a rest. But add handsfree to that, and I think it may be safe to fiddle around with your phone, coffee, etc., in the car with BlueCruise on at low, stop-and-go speeds.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Interesting how the email pitches the way in which people might use BlueCruise: "Equipped with a series of highā€‘tech cameras, the BlueCruise handsā€‘free highway driving experience allows your Ford vehicle to stay centered in your lane while handling stopā€‘andā€‘go traffic with confidence and comfort."

Usually the focus with these driver assistance features seems to be long-haul highway cruising. But I think stop-and-go traffic is the safer use because if BlueCruise hits a section where it disconnects, it would be safer at slow speeds because the driver would have a lot more time to react.

Also, at least personally, stop-and-go traffic is the most draining type of driving. I don't mind hours of highway cruising on an open road without traffic nearly as much.

Normal adaptive cruise control already basically takes care of stop-and-go traffic in terms of giving your legs a rest. But add handsfree to that, and I think it may be safe to fiddle around with your phone, coffee, etc., in the car with BlueCruise on at low, stop-and-go speeds.
Stop and go traffic is a less safe use than open road long distance cruising because of the greater number of external factors present, i.e., other cars, and the reduced reaction time an attentive or non-attentive driver would have to react to a potential situation. Its proximity to other cars rather than just speed. Your comment about having time to fiddle with a phone etc. also illustrates a worry I have: that in stop n go traffic an inattentive driver isnā€™t going to have time to regain situational awareness in order to avoid a potential collision or road hazard.

My imperfect analogy would be flying. Flying at cruise altitude allows a pilot and f.o. a much greater time to react to whatever problem pops up, whereas in the take off or landing phases reaction time and situational awareness are absolutely critical. Stop and go traffic is the TO and Landing phase.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I am not in. Two reasons:

1. I donā€™t yet have an MME.
2. The hardware to support BlueCruise isnā€™t available in my trim level with a metal roof.

Obviously, #1 trumps all.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Ford originally said Summer... if they aren't careful, they will make Elon look almost accurate.
Did they say summer for the OTA or summer for BlueCruise? If it's the latter they made it already. If it's the former, yeah, based on the email they seem to think it's going to be a few more weeks..

As far as the initial question. I'm in, still in, patiently waiting, but freaking out when I saw the email subject, not frantically logging in to my Ford account, just patiently waiting.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
I'm in.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I am out.
Not ready to trust my life to cameras and software.
If I am going to keep my hand on the wheel anyway......then I don't see the benefit of having Blue Cruise.
Sponsored