BlueCruise dead zones?

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Have any users with BlueCruise operational found that there are dead zones on interstates where you would expect BlueCruise to be functional?

For me, it's I-66 between Washington DC and the Beltway. It simply will not turn hands free until I approach VA-267. And yet, it will go hands-free on other roads, like the GW Parkway, which is honestly kind of surprising.

How about you?
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
It cuts in and out on curves. I have a theory it has to do with lidar mapping data they used, areas that have gaps in scanning coverage it will cut out on. Or when it thinks you are close to potential obstacles. I feel like the presence or absence of a guard rail might make a difference sometimes. Not sure if it works in tunnels.

There's this one curve on my drive that's fairly sharp, it will do the curve until the overpass, then it cuts out. Other curves that are more gradual it also cuts out on, the difference is there's a guardrail on the left side of the road a few feet from the lane.

Either way I feel like the dead spots are due to curve radius or because of LIDAR data.

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
There are also places where there was construction when the mapping happened. So BlueCruise won’t work where there WAS a construction. Several small sections of that on I90 because this time last year they were putting up toll tag readers.

OP
OP
dml105

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
I wish Ford would hurry up with that comprehensive BlueCruise map that was promised. I’d at least like the peace of mind that it is functioning correctly, and that there just is no hands-free operation on that stretch of road since i traverse it daily.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I wish Ford would hurry up with that comprehensive BlueCruise map that was promised. I’d at least like the peace of mind that it is functioning correctly, and that there just is no hands-free operation on that stretch of road since i traverse it daily.
I agree, it would be fantastic to have an actual map that Ford consistently updates which we could look at.

evpony

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Have any users with BlueCruise operational found that there are dead zones on interstates where you would expect BlueCruise to be functional?

For me, it's I-66 between Washington DC and the Beltway. It simply will not turn hands free until I approach VA-267. And yet, it will go hands-free on other roads, like the GW Parkway, which is honestly kind of surprising.

How about you?
I live in N. Virginia and have never been able to get BlueCruise to work on any of the highways in this area. I had the dealer install the software in May when I had the glass recall work done and it has never once activated for me. I wish there was a detailed map showing which roads are in the BC zone.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I can confirm it does not work in tunnels. We have a tunnel in Phoenix, I-10, and it turns off.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I agree, it would be fantastic to have an actual map that Ford consistently updates which we could look at.
I think I am the hold up on that map. Any road that my car is on is a BC dead zone. Sorry about that guys....

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

How about you?
It cuts in and out on curves. I have a theory it has to do with lidar mapping data they used, areas that have gaps in scanning coverage it will cut out on. Or when it thinks you are close to potential obstacles. I feel like the presence or absence of a guard rail might make a difference sometimes. Not sure if it works in tunnels.

There's this one curve on my drive that's fairly sharp, it will do the curve until the overpass, then it cuts out. Other curves that are more gradual it also cuts out on, the difference is there's a guardrail on the left side of the road a few feet from the lane.

Either way I feel like the dead spots are due to curve radius or because of LIDAR data.
In my experience in NorCal, it toggles off hands-free on sharp(ish) curves, but it still provides lane-centering assistance. Typically once out of the curve it re-enables. On much rarer occasion it is canceled entirely for no obvious reason. I suspect the cancelations are due to a sudden loss of the ability to "see" the lanes properly, but there are likely other causes as well.

Valkyrie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Occupation
Future Prediction
Country flag
Multiple overpasses, steep mountain passes, and narrow lanes cut off bluecruise from my experiences.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
On one stretch of highway that I travel frequently, Bluecruise disengages at the same two uninteresting quarter-mile stretches of highway, every time. For anyone in the Boston area and driving I-95 North, maybe you've noticed. One is just after the cloverleaf with I-93, and the other is a few miles further up. Neither of these short sections of road have any special characteristics (that I can see anyway). Maybe there was construction when they mapped this section of road?
Sponsored