Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Uh, I am very aware of it. But I was commenting on BlueCruise, not on whether it could be turned off or not. What I do not know, however, is why you constantly need to be snarky and condescending to almost everyone on this forum on such a regular basis. Would you like to enlighten us on that?
I see what you’re saying about eye Nannie’s when you rest your hand on top of steering wheel while in lane centering. I usually just keep my one arm on the door armrest with a finger or two touching the steering wheel for the feedback it needs to stay on, or my hand resting on the bottom of steering wheel. The F150 seems to have fixed that issue with the IR camera placement being on the a-pillar and next to the screen.

And the man is probably on the spectrum, 90+% of his responses are like that… most people just have to disregard.
Sponsored

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
We were driving north at 70mph on I-15 through Las Vegas (by Strip) last evening and set the BlueCruise. All was great until we got past Tropicana. Apparently, some dumbass had recently driven in this lane and dumped a 3-mile long spill of white paint. It was very subtle, but got more noticeable as we kept going.

They must have either been in a hurry or very drunk. I say this because at one point, the paint line severely turned to the left. We were fine until we reached that point, and the car nearly drove us right into the Jersey wall highway divider.
Full collision warnings, lights, buzzers, etc.
I have always kept my hands and attention “on guard” while BlueCruise driving, but this really shocked and scared me. It really scared the crap out of everyone else in the car.

I now know a few things;

1. If going north through Las Vegas, don’t drive with BlueCruise on while in the carpool lane, at least not in the near future. The paint should eventually fade.

2. I had thought that streets were “pre-mapped” to be part of BlueCruise, which meant they don’t just rely on cameras on the car. That’s clearly not true, and you really should not trust this system yet.

3. (ATTN: FORD) I now wish there was a place to post alerts in real time to warn other BlueCruise drivers regarding active road hazards, such as paint spills that could wreck your car.

I really want to trust self-driving systems, but they just aren’t ready for prime-time yet. Please be safe and don’t ever take your hands off the wheel.
I understand that many of you on this forum will disagree with me, but only until a scare like this happens to you.

IF YOU HAVE TO USE BC, PLEASE STAY ON GUARD AT ALL TIMES!
My personal rule with driving assistance (ADAS) is that it's not a very good idea in urban freeways with lots of traffic. Best to stay engaged and be ready for the unexpected. ADAS is better suited for long-distance interstate travel; long stretches of lower traffic between cities. Urban freeways have tighter horizontal curves, require regular lane changes, and have more anxious/angry/drunk/distracted drivers. I may use it occasionally on my commute into Detroit, but usually only on stretches where the traffic is calm.

Last edited:

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
I have also noticed that carpool lanes are not particularly BC friendly. Sometimes they become too wide, sometimes the wall is too close, sometimes the marks are confusing, etc. I never felt comfortable using BC on carpool lanes. Therefore I haven't even ordered CA carpool stickers.

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
My personal rule with driving assistance (ADAS) is that it's not a very good idea in urban freeways with lots of traffic. Best to stay engaged and be ready for the unexpected. ADAS is better suited for long-distance interstate travel; long stretches of lower traffic between cities. Urban freeways have tighter horizontal curves, require regular lane changes, and have more anxious/angry/drunk/distracted drivers. I may use it occasionally on my commute into Detroit, but usually only on stretches where the traffic is calm.
still it is better to be alert and take control if needed then do ALL the work.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The speed sign recognition system lost certainly DOES recognize speed limit signs (I drive on roads with electronic variable speed limits).
Yes it uses cameras, but will also time out and use GPS maps. I went three months without the gps getting lost, then on Saturday it did it again. BC hands free would not engage for me, then when I exited to a different freeway the gps position had me driving in a parking lot and the speed sign on the driver display went to 5mph. Cruise control then dropped out completely.

minjaep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 California Route 1 eAWD
Country flag
My experisence kinda related to this: I found on some roads, lanes are drawn with lines (old) and marks (new). It is actually very confusing even to me, as people decided to increase the width while drawing the new one. The old lines have not faded at all, so basically there are two lanes, and I believe the old ones should look more legit for my Mach-e. So I immediately turned the BC off, but then the lane centering system (which also nudges me) keeps alerting me with red that I step on the old lines which should be ignored.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
And your sources backing up your stance that it’s only cameras programmed by a middle schooler? Don’t worry I already checked for you, there aren’t any. Tesla was the only mfg that switched to vision only for a while and failed and reverted back to vision plus radar.

Unfortunately the tech used is proprietary and sources are lacking that are available on the internet, but it absolutely includes multiple sensors.

Your cameras probably aren’t calibrated correctly from the factory if your lane centering isn’t working well. Mine has been fantastic, with zero issues. Might be worth warranty claim before you run out of warranty coverage.
You made an assertion, I merely wanted to see the information that assertion was based on.
Sponsored