Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Agreed on that point. As Tesla drivers have shown us, you give them an inch and they’ll take a yard when it comes to driver assistance systems. I think Ford (and most other manufacturers) are on the right track with the eye tracking technology.
I'm still not sold on the placement of the eye nanny cameras.

Last edited:

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I don't think that I'll spring for this since I suspect that at most 5 miles of my daily commute will be covered, but I can certainly see the value in it. Have you ever had a terrible night of sleep and then drove to work? Or work a 14 hr day and then drive home? Have a knock down drag out fight with a significant other/family member/coworker? I guarantee you weren't 100% attentive the whole drive after any one of those. Just because you didn't crash doesn't mean you didn't make a mistake.

I suspect that these systems will overall improve road safety. But I also know that the first accident that happens when this is in use will get a whole lot more attention than the 100s of accidents that never happened because of it. Logically, that is an overall benefit to society, but I bet there were some pretty heated cost/benefit discussion because of it.

How much of that $600 subscription do you think is going to the legal fund?
I assume you meant to reply to someone else. I agree with you.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
CNET: “It will function if the driver is wearing eithersunglasses or a mask, but it won't operate if both are worn simultaneously, as the camera doesn't have much face left to track at that point.”

Everybody got that? You’re gonna have to choose between wearing a mask or sunglasses while driving.
What if my mask has sunglasses on it? ??‍♂

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Oh my God man; take out those hearing aids when your in the car with the wife. Do you know how many of us wish we couldn't hear our wife in the car.
There is a joke that ends with a policeman pulling over a driver to let him know he left his wife back at the rest stop and the husband/driver saying, “Thank God. I thought I went deaf.”

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I do not. My reference was to other folks - in this thread and elsewhere - who find driver assistance causes them to feel more "relaxed" and less "stress". Why do they feel less stress? Because they are less alert, less focused on the driving task, at least part of the time. That can be dangerous. Maybe not often, but once is enough.
One example I think you might understand is stop and go low speed traffic when traffic is backed up for miles due to an accident or construction or toll booth.

Can I manage to not hit the car in front of me as we accordion along approaching the cause of the delay. Yes. 45 years of experience without an incident.

Have there been moments I needed to hit the brakes harder than I would have preferred? Certainly. More than once. We humans are more fallible than a sensor & computer measuring the distance between cars along with our relative speeds a hundred times a second.

Many vehicles, not just EVs, offer stop and go adaptive cruise control. With the car handling acceleration and braking and maintaining lane position while the driver monitors its performance along with the surrounding drivers, even white knuckles should see the advantage of surrendering that monotonous repetitive aspect. I now have five years of experience with such a system and the MME is the second vehicle in the stable with the capability.

I was nervous at first, as is to be expected. My foot hovered over the brake. Slowly it has moved to a more comfortable position. Similar to my transition to cruise control. In short order you will learn the limits of the systems and learn to trust it.

If someone has experienced it and still says ”not for me” that would be one thing, but for those conjecturing I say be prepared to eat crow.

Last edited:

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
Been using it for almost 6 years and it definitely reduces driver fatigue, especially in stop and go traffic
Edit: I do look forward to the IR camera in the Mach-e so that it is truly hands-free. My S has the first AP software and thus can never be FSD. The nags weren't so often in the beginning, but as we've seen, people abused it and now they are too often and quite annoying. Even if I have both hands on the wheel, sometimes I'm not applying enough torque to the wheel and it nags me to "move the wheel" a little bit. But I have free supercharging for "life" and Tesla's infrastructure is far superior to any other at the moment.

Last edited:

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
I don't really see how this is much different than what I already have with ACC. My Accord can almost drive itself to work, I can remove my hands for 15 seconds or so, and it can handle light corners. In fact, I'd be afraid that the hand's off could cause me to zone out after a lunch.

I think it's a nice to have but hardly a need to have.
I have a Honda. And I can tell you that even the base version lane keeping built into the Mach-E is far better than what Honda is offering. For me, it is a huge improvement. For my wife, who loves driving and views driver automation as a dangerous distraction it is an annoyance.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I'm very much looking forward to it. Just made a 2 day round trip, TN - MD - TN. I'll say the IACC made the trip much easier than in our old ICE, even tho it had cruise control too. Was very relaxed and did not get any nagging keep you hands on the well warnings. If Blues Clues can make it even more relaxing that IACC.......I'm in.

Disclaimer..........I am not looking to take a nap while in the drivers seat, but it sure wold be nice to not have to baby sit the steering wheel ALL the time.

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I'm jumping on this thread late, but like others have said, I don't see the incremental benefit to BlueCruise over adaptive cruise control with lane centering. I was expecting more. For $600.00, I'll just keep my hands on the wheel -- where they belong.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I do not. My reference was to other folks - in this thread and elsewhere - who find driver assistance causes them to feel more "relaxed" and less "stress". Why do they feel less stress? Because they are less alert, less focused on the driving task, at least part of the time. That can be dangerous. Maybe not often, but once is enough.
I'm one of those people who said that. For me, it's because I anticipate less shoulder and elbow pain from holding my arms up on the wheel for my daily commuting (when it resumes), because most of it is jet-straight divided highways.

I'm jumping on this thread late, but like others have said, I don't see the incremental benefit to BlueCruise over adaptive cruise control with lane centering. I was expecting more. For $600.00, I'll just keep my hands on the wheel -- where they belong.
...which is why it's fantastic being an option. If you see no need for it, you are able to keep the $600 in your pocket. For people who have the need for a lot of driving time in the seat, on BlueCruise-able highways, it will be a real win--especially for those with a lot of traffic conditions. Options are like salad bars. Take what you want and leave the rest.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Options are like salad bars. Take what you want and leave the rest.
Definitely emphasis on the want. I've actually seen a person not use the plate, but the whole tray at a salad bar to put the food on. It was disgusting.
Sponsored