Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I had BlueCruise install via OTA update a month ago. In the beginning it would work 95% of the time. By that I mean when I would get on an approved Blue Zone highway and turn on lane centering and then cruise control, the screen would go blue and say hands free. Occasionally it would not go blue and stay with the old adaptive cruise with lane centering, usually on the next drive it would back to BlueCruise though.

The last week or so the average has dropped for about 50/50. Half the time when I turn on cruise control it goes blue, the other half of the time it makes the old adaptive cruise. When it does this nothing I can do will get it to go blue. Not turning cruise off and back on, not restarting the car, restarting sync. It just wonā€™t work for that drive. The car GPS has at the correct location on the blue zone highway. Adaptive cruise with lane centering and hands free is turned on all the time, and the about sync page shows I have valid maps until October.

Does anyone else have this happen to them? I waited a year for this update and now I feel like it only works half the time. ā˜¹
Sponsored

michaelmmegt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
How fast are you driving? Hands free won't turn on driving over 80.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
When it's not working, are you staying in lane centering mode with the blue bubble, or are you stuck in basic lane assist with the green lines?

You must be in a BlueZone, lane centering needs a lock on visible lines, and your lane position needs to be stable for several seconds before BlueCruise will engage. If the camera is dirty or sun is shining in it, it might not work. The sometimes not working thing seems to be tied more to the earlier release software.

Like everything else, you probably need software updates. Mine seems to work every time it should, but I have everything 100% up to date.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When it's not working, are you staying in lane centering mode with the blue bubble, or are you stuck in basic lane assist with the green lines?
When it doesnā€™t work it stays in lane centering mode (blue bubble)

You must be in a BlueZone, lane centering needs a lock on visible lines, and your lane position needs to be stable for several seconds before BlueCruise will engage.
I am in a blue zone. I activate lane centering first and wait for it to have green lines before I turn on cruise control. Most of the time the cluster will immediately go blue and Iā€™m good. However if when I turn on cruise I get the white pop up that says blue cruise is active it will never go blue/hands free.

If the camera is dirty or sun is shining in it, it might not work. The sometimes not working thing seems to be tied more to the earlier release software.

Like everything else, you probably need software updates. Mine seems to work every time it should, but I have everything 100% up to date.
I am on the latest software and there are no updates pertaining to blue cruise available. The windshield is clean and it doesnā€™t seem to matter the time of day or sun position as to whether it activates or not. The lane centering always works, so that makes me think the camera is fine. It just doesnā€™t go blue/hands free sometimes.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Have you happened to have the native navigation open when it's happened? Have you noticed location get screwy? I've seen a bunch of posts lately where people have seen that and I wonder if it's related

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you happened to have the native navigation open when it's happened? Have you noticed location get screwy? I've seen a bunch of posts lately where people have seen that and I wonder if it's related
That was a theory, but today blue cruise would not activate and the native nav had me exactly where I was supposed to be. So unless that can be right and whatever BlueCruise uses can be off I donā€™t think itā€™s that. I even tried setting a route in the native nav today and it still would not activate.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Drove home from work a few nights ago and made one stop near the highway. After returning to the highway (same one I use every day on my commute), BlueCruise didn't activate until about 5 miles or so later than it should have. Once it activated, it was fine from then on.

I checked the map that whole time and it looked great.

I'm not refuting the innacurate vehicle location suspicion -- I certainly share that, too, since I've seen the location go wonky on at least a few occasions. But I think there could be at least one other cause.

Wind and visibility were both fine. If I recall, it was after technically after sunset but before nighttime, and I was heading east.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Drove home from work a few nights ago and made one stop near the highway. After returning to the highway (same one I use every day on my commute), BlueCruise didn't activate until about 5 miles or so later than it should have. Once it activated, it was fine from then on.

I'm not refuting the innacurate vehicle location suspicion -- I certainly share that, too, since I've seen the location go wonky on at least a few occasions. But I think there could be at least one other cause.

Wind and visibility were both fine. If I recall, it was after technically after sunset but before nighttime, and I was heading east.
Thatā€™s good to know it happens to someone else. For me though when it doesnā€™t activate right away it never kicks in the whole (20 minute) drive.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Yeah there's a LONG list of prerequisites that have to be perfect for it to activate. And I have my suspicions, like you, that there are at least one or two other things happening.

But having seen a bunch of posts about GPS errors and a bunch of posts about blue cruise not enabling when it should, I was curious if anyone had checked navigation to see if it was acting up at the same time. You just confirmed that is not the sole root cause. So thank you. Sincerely.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That was a theory, but today blue cruise would not activate and the native nav had me exactly where I was supposed to be. So unless that can be right and whatever BlueCruise uses can be off I donā€™t think itā€™s that. I even tried setting a route in the native nav today and it still would not activate.
So that is a good point, GPS can completely lose signal and navigation will still work. For a bit. It uses inertial positioning to go off last good data. That's how you still have active navigation when you go through a tunnel. However, I don't think that can't really explain this situation and it does seem that GPS was not the issue

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
When it doesnā€™t work it stays in lane centering mode (blue bubble)

I am in a blue zone. I activate lane centering first and wait for it to have green lines before I turn on cruise control. Most of the time the cluster will immediately go blue and Iā€™m good. However if when I turn on cruise I get the white pop up that says blue cruise is active it will never go blue/hands free.

I am on the latest software and there are no updates pertaining to blue cruise available. The windshield is clean and it doesnā€™t seem to matter the time of day or sun position as to whether it activates or not. The lane centering always works, so that makes me think the camera is fine. It just doesnā€™t go blue/hands free sometimes.
Hmm. IDK, could be a GPS issue, you should check if your position is accurate on the Nav screen.

Looks like a communications problem where the IPMA isn't talking to everything it should sometimes. It might not know it's in a BlueZone if it wasn't told. Since everything with the hardware is up to date, the engineers might have to get involved. There might be later APIM software that isn't available yet for your car.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmm. IDK, could be a GPS issue, you should check if your position is accurate on the Nav screen.

Looks like a communications problem where the IPMA isn't talking to everything it should sometimes. It might not know it's in a BlueZone if it wasn't told. Since everything with the hardware is up to date, the engineers might have to get involved. There might be later APIM software that isn't available yet for your car.
I think it doesnā€™t know itā€™s in a blue zone, but why that is, I donā€™t know. The nav clearly knows where the car is. It could be that the gps info isnā€™t making it to the module that controls blue cruise. My APIM version, at least sync version, is the latest that everyone else has so I donā€™t think itā€™s that.
Iā€™m not sure, I just know I DO NOT want to bring it to a dealer for this. They will just break it.