Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Consumer Reports just did another comparison of driver's assistance systems and Ford's BlueCruise came out on top. Make sure you read the article to get all the details, but one thing to note is that they include the whole system. Ford (and GM) do really well in making sure the driver is engaged. A lot of the other systems (like Tesla), lose a lot of points for failing to have an effective driver monitoring system.

Complete rankings:
1 - Ford
2 - GM
3 - Mercedes
4 - BMW
5 - Toyota
6 - VW
7 - Tesla
8 - Rivian
9 - Nissan
10 - Honda
11 - Volvo/Polestar
12 - Hyundai

Here's the article:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car...riving-assistance-systems-review-a2103632203/

And here a video we did on BlueCruise highlighting some of the features including the driver tracking:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
yeah..... CR values things that I care much less about and under weights things I care a lot about.

The most important thing to me is how well it actually drives.
  • Are there breaks in the map for no clear reason - Yes
  • Does it adjust speed for curves - No (I am told BC 1.2 does, but what I have doesn't)
  • Can it change lanes - No (again 1.0 doesn't)
  • Does it use capacitive touch instead of torque to know I am here - No and without a hardware change this is not going to be different.

Really looking forward to 1.2

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
yeah..... CR values things that I care much less about and under weights things I care a lot about.

The most important thing to me is how well it actually drives.
  • Are there breaks in the map for no clear reason - Yes
  • Does it adjust speed for curves - No (I am told BC 1.2 does, but what I have doesn't)
  • Can it change lanes - No (again 1.0 doesn't)
  • Does it use capacitive touch instead of torque to know I am here - No and without a hardware change this is not going to be different.

Really looking forward to 1.2
I really kept thinking I was missing something with BC. The first day of ownership in May 2022 I used it driving going from Dallas the Austin (I-35) and I observed all the above and then the constant side to side movement that drove me crazy. I waited until the holidays this past November and December and used it dozens of times traveling and it was horrible. Nothing had changed also adding in weird notifications when I sneezed or coughed while engaged.
I am also looking forward to BC 1.2 that is if our 22 Premium can get it.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I really kept thinking I was missing something with BC. The first day of ownership in May 2022 I used it driving going from Dallas the Austin (I-35) and I observed all the above and then the constant side to side movement that drove me crazy. I waited until the holidays this past November and December and used it dozens of times traveling and it was horrible. Nothing had changed also adding in weird notifications when I sneezed or coughed while engaged.
Literally never experienced any of this 🤷‍♂️ I find it weird how some vehicles are inconsistent, maybe it's the markings on the roads? But I use BC all the time and it's so good around here.

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Literally never experienced any of this 🤷‍♂️ I find it weird how some vehicles are inconsistent, maybe it's the markings on the roads? But I use BC all the time and it's so good around here.
Here is the map straight from Ford showing Texas
Major highways I-35 from Dallas to Austin, I-35 Austin to San Antonio and I-37 San Antonio to Corpus Christi. All interstate highways. All at least 4 lanes and many sections have 6 lanes with everything well marked. Some areas of construction but I disengaged during slower construction areas. All traveled in good weather with zero rain or snow with light to no winds. Perfect traveling conditions every time and it made the trip harder IMO. After New Year weekend trip I told my wife I will not use until we get a new version. I would NOT pay for it today based on my experience.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Consumer Reports ranks BlueCruise as #1 driver assistance system Ford Blue Cruise Texas

Golfer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang GT, i3
Country flag
Rankings were just released....

Ford’s BlueCruise Ousts GM’s Super Cruise as CR’s Top-Rated Active Driving Assistance System

Tesla Autopilot falls to midpack as other high-tech systems improve

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...riving-assistance-systems-review-a2103632203/

January 25, 2023

How We Rated the Systems
The 12 active driving assistance systems we tested were put through their paces around the track at our 327-acre Auto Test Center in Connecticut and on a 50-mile loop on public roads between September and December 2022. Each system was rated for its performance in 40 separate tests, such as steering the car, controlling the speed, and keeping the driver safe and engaged with the act of driving. Additional features such as automatic lane changes or reacting for traffic lights were not evaluated in this test.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Consumer Reports ranks BlueCruise as #1 driver assistance system Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 8.55.03 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Consumer Reports ranks BlueCruise as #1 driver assistance system Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 8.55.19 AM

Ford Mustang Mach-E Consumer Reports ranks BlueCruise as #1 driver assistance system Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 8.55.27 AM

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is the map straight from Ford showing Texas
Major highways I-35 from Dallas to Austin, I-35 Austin to San Antonio and I-37 San Antonio to Corpus Christi. All interstate highways. All at least 4 lanes and many sections have 6 lanes with everything well marked. Some areas of construction but I disengaged during slower construction areas. All traveled in good weather with zero rain or snow with light to no winds. Perfect traveling conditions every time and it made the trip harder IMO. After New Year weeks end trip I told my wife I will not use until we get a new version. I would NOT pay for it today based on my experience.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Consumer Reports ranks BlueCruise as #1 driver assistance system Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 8.55.27 AM
Yeah weird, I'll definitely be subscribing to keep it, it's been a relief on long trips. Maybe we just have different tolerances for technology, to each their own!

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
After using just the Intelligent Cruise Control with Lane Centering for months, I didn't think I'd care about BlueCruise with Hands Off. But, I found that I actually like it a lot and use it way more than any other "cruise control" that I've ever had.

I also think it has gotten better over time -- many curves are smoother and it isn't hugging the right line as much. There are still some occasionally stretches of road where it gets confused every time. For example, there is a stretch of I5 near me that has some odd lane markings -- they are white with an orange outline. It works for maybe a 1/4 mile but then just shuts off completely.

reeflife

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Banking
Country flag
Where they driving version 1 or 2?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After using just the Intelligent Cruise Control with Lane Centering for months, I didn't think I'd care about BlueCruise with Hands Off. But, I found that I actually like it a lot and use it way more than any other "cruise control" that I've ever had.

I also think it has gotten better over time -- many curves are smoother and it isn't hugging the right line as much. There are still some occasionally stretches of road where it gets confused every time. For example, there is a stretch of I5 near me that has some odd lane markings -- they are white with an orange outline. It works for maybe a 1/4 mile but then just shuts off completely.
I've been surprised at the curves it takes here in Tampa/Orlando that it doesn't shut off. It takes them really well.

flapjake314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
i'm surprised that BC capabilities was a 9/10 given it just stays in lane, leans a bit, etc. i know 1.2 has lane change, maybe they based on that (though given the timing seems unlikely)

what does mercedes have that makes it 10/10? would be interested to know that too

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE, 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I live in the Austin area and have driven multiple times to Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio using BlueCruise most of the way, as well as using it regularly on my ~60 mile round trip commute (that I thankfully only have to do once a week), in both our old 22 GT and new 23 GTPE. Outside of a bit of right side hugging and occasional lane bounce in the 22, I haven't experienced any of what you describe. I'd unscientifically estimate that our 22 was smooth about 95% of the time and our 23 is even better than that.

It almost sounds to me like there might be something wrong with one or more sensors/cameras in your vehicle.

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Complete rankings:
1 - Ford
2 - GM
3 - Mercedes
4 - BMW
5 - Toyota
6 - VW
7 - Tesla
8 - Rivian
9 - Nissan
10 - Honda
11 - Volvo/Polestar
12 - Hyundai
I am surprised to see in that order.
When car shopping early last year we tested a few models and talked with friends and neighbors who owned various brands.
2 GM we test drove and have neighbor who loves it and it was pretty good.
3 Mercedes our neighbor told us it works okay but they had a 2020 model so maybe newer models are more advanced
5 Owned Toyota and tested and it wasn't impressive
6 VW ditto not impressive
7 Tesla drove and several neighbors allowed us to drive with both Autopilot and Advanced Autopilot and it worked as expected. Compared with GM. We didn't test FSD and we didn't want to test it.
8 Rivian Neighbor has one and said it work pretty well never drove one to test
11 Volvo test drove and it worked as expected
Haven't tested or talked with anyone about other brands

I was excited to have it in the MME and it hasn't expressed me. It wasn't a must have so not a deal breaker.
I think GM and Tesla have the best but they are still not "great"
A lot of people confuse Tesla Autopilot with FSD and think that is why it gets a bad rap IMO.

I think Ford it trying real hard and is really delivering OTA updates and improving software and considering the competition that's impressive by itself.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I am surprised to see in that order.
When car shopping early last year we tested a few models and talked with friends and neighbors who owned various brands.
2 GM we test drove and have neighbor who loves it and it was pretty good.
3 Mercedes our neighbor told us it works okay but they had a 2020 model so maybe newer models are more advanced
5 Owned Toyota and tested and it wasn't impressive
6 VW ditto not impressive
7 Tesla drove and several neighbors allowed us to drive with both Autopilot and Advanced Autopilot and it worked as expected. Compared with GM. We didn't test FSD and we didn't want to test it.
8 Rivian Neighbor has one and said it work pretty well never drove one to test
11 Volvo test drove and it worked as expected
Haven't tested or talked with anyone about other brands

I was excited to have it in the MME and it hasn't expressed me. It wasn't a must have so not a deal breaker.
I think GM and Tesla have the best but they are still not "great"
A lot of people confuse Tesla Autopilot with FSD and think that is why it gets a bad rap IMO.

I think Ford it trying real hard and is really delivering OTA updates and improving software and considering the competition that's impressive by itself.
The rankings not only consider technical functionality but stuff like driver monitoring and communication with the driver. That's where Ford really got a lot of points that separates it from the pack.

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I live in the Austin area and have driven multiple times to Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio using BlueCruise most of the way, as well as using it regularly on my ~60 mile round trip commute (that I thankfully only have to do once a week), in both our old 22 GT and new 23 GTPE. Outside of a bit of right side hugging and occasional lane bounce in the 22, I haven't experienced any of what you describe. I'd unscientifically estimate that our 22 was smooth about 95% of the time and our 23 is even better than that.

It almost sounds to me like there might be something wrong with one or more sensors/cameras in your vehicle.
It's good to hear that you've used it on some of the same roads so maybe we have some hope.
We live in SW Austin and travel at least once a month to all of those cities and on curves and the side to side movement makes it not usable IMO. It's not smooth at all.
Maybe we do have something wrong with the calibration
Sponsored