az-paco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Prius, '21 MME Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I'll wait till I get my GT delivered to pay for it.
If your GT is equipped with the hardware, then BlueCruise is included in the MSRP. The renewal after 3 years may be optional, but BlueCruise is included in the price for all properly equipped MMEs ordered on or after April 28, 2021.
Sponsored

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Car guy on Leo Laporte radio show tested GM cruise and Blue Cruise. He felt the GM cruise had better notifications and handled curves better. GM would predict the curve and slow the car down while BC would just turn off in a big turn.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think they are supposed to be adding in the feature where the car will read speed signs for "curves" on offramps and such at some point. Should be pretty easy as it already reads white speed signs now.

If its truly mapped out, Ford should know the limitations of the car and it should know if it needs to adjust speed for "curves". That said, if you are in the fast lane doing 75-80mph and taking a "curve" that every other car on the road, including the 80yr old grandmother in her Prius, is taking at 80mph and you all the sudden decelerate to 65mph because Ford sees that as the safe speed. That is going to cause some problems. Dunno what the solution would be outside of making BC better.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
This is very underwhelming so far. I’m really confused as to what functionality BC adds to CP360 except for swapping an eye nanny for the hand nanny. Where is the evidence that BC keeps its lane any more reliably than base CP360? Where is the evidence that this “mapping” of the highways plays any role other than geofencing where BC can be used?

It’s also now a near certainty that the Early Access Program will not be used to evaluate BC - Ford is just using the program to promote and sell $600 BC subscriptions. EAP was a great idea, but has been a total dud to date. Only one “enhancement” has rolled to EAP so far: that idiotic “intelligent charging.” But Ford has decided to leverage EAP to sell BC.

Last edited:

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
If your GT is equipped with the hardware, then BlueCruise is included in the MSRP. The renewal after 3 years may be optional, but BlueCruise is included in the price for all properly equipped MMEs ordered on or after April 28, 2021.
oh...ordered 4/29.. so close, yet so far..

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Seen @hybrid2bev's post in another thread for other future enhancements.
Sure, there may be future enhancements at some point. But what's rolling out initially and has been demonstrated is just the hands-free feature. So I'm not sure why people are confused or looking for evidence that it does anything else.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sure, there may be future enhancements at some point. But what's rolling out initially and has been demonstrated is just the hands-free feature. So I'm not sure why people are confused or looking for evidence that it does anything else.
Here is why I am confused. A great many people on this forum have told us that BlueCruise is using mapped highway data to make the hands free driving **more reliable and safer.** That’s supposedly why this is a subscription service - because the highways are constantly being remapped.

Except that I haven’t actually seen any evidence that this is going to be the case. I am concerned that the highway mapping is only to create a geofence where the hands free can be used, but the mapping data doesn’t actual enhance the accuracy of the system. That’s a BIG DIFFERENCE.

In fact, this seems rather implausible. How massive would the download need to be to install meter-by-meter detailed mapping data of these hundreds of thousands of kilometers of highway on each car?

Ford needs to tell us more about how BC actually works. And it needs to give us a try-it-before-you-buy-it period. Even a week.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Here is why I am confused. A great many people on this forum have told us that BlueCruise is using mapped highway data to make the hands free driving **more reliable and safer.**
Did Ford say that? Hands-free means you won't have to use your hands. Not sure I would consider that more reliable or safer. I guess that's why I'm not confused.

I am concerned that the highway mapping is only to create a geofence where the hands free can be used
I think that's exactly what the mapping is being used for. Has Ford said differently?

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Here is why I am confused. A great many people on this forum have told us that BlueCruise is using mapped highway data to make the hands free driving **more reliable and safer.** That’s supposedly why this is a subscription service - because the highways are constantly being remapped.

Except that I haven’t actually seen any evidence that this is going to be the case. I am concerned that the highway mapping is only to create a geofence where the hands free can be used, but the mapping data doesn’t actual enhance the accuracy of the system. That’s a BIG DIFFERENCE.

In fact, this sees rather implausible. How massive would the download need to be to install meter-by-meter detailed mapping data of these hundreds of thousands of kilometers of highway on each car?
I can confirm this is the case (mapped highways). While at an event where Ford was a sponsor... they had one of the "mapping" cars on display (I should have snapped a photo).

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
In fact, this sees rather implausible. How massive would the download need to be to install meter-by-meter detailed mapping data of these hundreds of thousands of kilometers of highway on each car?
Just speculation but I would think the download would not be very big for a cloud connected vehicle. I would think it would only need a detailed map within your range bubble to be onboard. Since you can't use the whole map all at once anyways, it's outside of your range, it would not make sense to require a super large file. The map could update in real time as you drive.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can confirm this is the case (mapped highways). While at an event where Ford was a sponsor... they had one of the "mapping" cars on display (I should have snapped a photo).
So again, the question isn’t whether highways are being mapped. We know they are. The question is how that mapping is being used. Is it being used only to create a geofence, or is it being used to enhance the accuracy and safety of the system?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just speculation but I would think the download would not be very big for a cloud connected vehicle. I would think it would only need a detailed map within your range bubble to be onboard. Since you can't use the whole map all at once anyways, it's outside of your range, it would not make sense to require a super large file. The map could update in real time as you drive.
Maybe. It’s an interesting idea. Seems like it would work in theory, but also be pretty vulnerable to outages. I’d like Ford to publicly verify that.
Sponsored