BlueCruise - Why?

Skip Towne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4x Premium
Country flag
My MEe Premium is equipped and ready for the BlueCruise OTA. I understand it will arrive right after the Great Pumpkin shows up in Linus' pumpkin patch.

I hear great anticipation for its arrival in this and other forums and it makes me wonder what we get with it? I find the adaptive cruise control to be a nice advancement over my older cars so I wonder what more is there?

I see the ads for GM Cruise (whatever they call their hands-free cruise control) They seem to focus on the option for playing paddy cake or doing an endless version of slap,slap, clap to that Queen song. That'll make the miles melt away on a long road trip. ;-))

Is hands-free the best part of BlueCruise? Why? What better place do YOU have for your hands while in the car?

What am I missing here?
Sponsored

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I dunno. I don't even use lane keeping. This old-schooler prefers to drive if I'm going to drive.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
My MEe Premium is equipped and ready for the BlueCruise OTA. I understand it will arrive right after the Great Pumpkin shows up in Linus' pumpkin patch.

I hear great anticipation for its arrival in this and other forums and it makes me wonder what we get with it? I find the adaptive cruise control to be a nice advancement over my older cars so I wonder what more is there?

I see the ads for GM Cruise (whatever they call their hands-free cruise control) They seem to focus on the option for playing paddy cake or doing an endless version of slap,slap, clap to that Queen song. That'll make the miles melt away on a long road trip. ;-))

Is hands-free the best part of BlueCruise? Why? What better place do YOU have for your hands while in the car?

What am I missing here?
I sort of agree -- The only advantage is being able to take your hands off the wheel. I don't see the benefit. Then again, I haven't tried it yet. ?‍♂

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Excellent question. My car is supposed to have it, but it looks like it is not activated. I know I don't need it, but at the same time I want it to work so I can prove to myself that I don't need it :p

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

What am I missing here?
Not much, really. It’s mainly for people who don’t like to drive. I’ve used it a couple times in our 4X just to try it and I’m just not a fan of relinquishing control of my vehicle. It seems to work ok but my experiences have been a few miles of it at most.

As someone who has studied human factors and situational awareness/readiness I just feel like the majority of drivers are going to be unprepared to take back control when necessary if BlueCruise shits the bed.

michaelmmegt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
I love Blue Cruise. For long drives it's nice to reduce fatigue from having raised arms for hours at a time. It also means you don't have to try to provide just the right amount of torque to the wheel to make it know you are there.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Wait until you try it. I am sold. 240 miles and only touching the wheel to exit and pass. It’s impressive, but may not be everyone’s cup of tea. It works well. Just get ready for a bunch of “watch the road “ warnings, even when using the lane centering.

29656644-C3BF-4C38-9EE1-FE23DE6756B2.jpeg

DF6EB373-397C-4FCD-A591-9705BC171E83.jpeg

3EFDB754-C0EC-484A-B4BE-04ABCD5AE857.jpeg

2BCB000D-10A7-4127-84EE-AB59584157B5.png

jglor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Dark Matter Gray RWD Mach-E
Country flag
Just get ready for a bunch of “watch the road “ warnings, even when using the lane centering.
Yeah. The "Watch the road" warnings are a little aggressive. You can barely check your side mirrors to make a lane change before it starts yelling at you.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I’m with you, it’s a total gimmick in its current stage. It’s really just the next step up to gather more data for the eventual self driving.
I got the base model select and it drives itself down the freeway just fine with the regular cruise control, even in thick fog the car still saw the lanes when I couldn’t. I’m glad I didn’t fork over more money for no reason.

ahg

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I’m with you, it’s a total gimmick in its current stage. It’s really just the next step up to gather more data for the eventual self driving.
I got the base model select and it drives itself down the freeway just fine with the regular cruise control, even in thick fog the car still saw the lanes when I couldn’t. I’m glad I didn’t fork over more money for no reason.
I hope you mean adaptive cruise control rather than regular cruise control. With regular cruise control the car will keep in the lane while it runs into the stopped car in the fog.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag

What am I missing here?
The ability to get on the highway and not touch anything until you need to get off. For longer drives it will greatly reduce fatigue.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The ability to get on the highway and not touch anything until you need to get off. For longer drives it will greatly reduce fatigue.
The problem is that the car only carries enough fuel to go 2-1/2 - 3 hours anyhow. You then have to stop and refuel (charge), which breaks up the fatigue. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to be able to purchase all of the extra cameras and such. I just didn't want the glass roof, so I opted to get my GT-PE without Co-Pilot 360/Active 2.0. In 4 or 5 years I might go searching for a wrecked Premium for all of the camera goodies and whatever physical modules are necessary to make 'em work. ?‍♂?

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Yeah. The "Watch the road" warnings are a little aggressive. You can barely check your side mirrors to make a lane change before it starts yelling at you.
Yes that is true, once you upgrade to it, you cannot tone it down either. I cannot look at CarPlay without the warning.

Jim Guthry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
My favorite usecase for it has been ~30 miles of stop and go traffic. I don't care about "driving" when I'm in that and it actually feels a lot less stressful when you mentally and physically detach from the misery of variable 0mph => 10mph for an hour in a 460hp car.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

What am I missing here?
Something that hasn’t been mentioned yet is safety.

If it does it’s job, it’s safer than you driving by yourself.

All these things are meant to be driver “aids” not take the place of the driver.
Sponsored