BlueOval charging questions

MetrowestZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
California AWD
Country flag
Going on my longest trip so wanted to activate BlueOval to use my free 250kwh and I have two questions:

1) Is it really true that if the charger is in the BlueOval network that I drive up and plug in and I have to do nothing else?! That sounds too good to be true.

2) I have signed up for EA and ChargePoint over the last few months (maybe even EVGo). Do I need to turn them off or otherwise deactivate them so they are not used instead of BluOval?

3) I lied, I had another question. It says my activation is pending. How long does that take?

Edit: it activated almost right away didnā€™t see the email

thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Once you activate Blue Oval, you can drive up to an EA charger and plug in without using the charger screen or EA app at all. It will show a charging cost, but afterwards you'll get an email from Ford saying how many kWh were deducted from your remaining balance.

OP
OP

MetrowestZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
California AWD
Country flag
Once you activate Blue Oval, you can drive up to an EA charger and plug in without using the charger screen or EA app at all. It will show a charging cost, but afterwards you'll get an email from Ford saying how many kWh were deducted from your remaining balance.
That sounds great. So no additional settings I need to do with ā€˜plug and chargeā€™ settings?

LNFitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Saddle Fitterā€¦and yes, have worked with Mustangs
Country flag
Going on my longest trip so wanted to activate BlueOval to use my free 250kwh and I have two questions:

1) Is it really true that if the charger is in the BlueOval network that I drive up and plug in and I have to do nothing else?! That sounds too good to be true.

2) I have signed up for EA and ChargePoint over the last few months (maybe even EVGo). Do I need to turn them off or otherwise deactivate them so they are not used instead of BluOval?

3) I lied, I had another question. It says my activation is pending. How long does that take?

thanks!
Some stations are a little quirky and plug & charge does not work. Try to get comfortable with using phone app to charge.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
I had no issues plugging into an EA station. It immediately started charging and decremented my free 500KwH

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Wait you don't have to touch the screen with plug and charge at EA? I thought you had to click thru the menu to start charging.

flapjake314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Not if you enable P&C.
i think you might both be right.

if i remember correctly you might need to press "start" and then plug in.

and then it shows you the spinning wheel while it says "connecting". after it successfully connects it wants you to hit "continue", but the continue button has a countdown timer on it, i believe it'll just continue if you don't press it for 10 seconds, but i've always pressed it...

FYI if it doesn't connect like someone else said, you can call EA and they can activate it for you and you'll end up getting a free session. only downside is the call probably takes 15-20 minutes.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
i think you might both be right.

if i remember correctly you might need to press "start" and then plug in.

and then it shows you the spinning wheel while it says "connecting". after it successfully connects it wants you to hit "continue", but the continue button has a countdown timer on it, i believe it'll just continue if you don't press it for 10 seconds, but i've always pressed it...

FYI if it doesn't connect like someone else said, you can call EA and they can activate it for you and you'll end up getting a free session. only downside is the call probably takes 15-20 minutes.
No, you don't.

OP
OP

MetrowestZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
California AWD
Country flag
Not if you enable P&C.
How do I know that P&C is enabled? Under Ford Connected Services it mentions it but it doesnā€™t clearly say ā€˜activeā€™ or ā€˜inactiveā€™

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

thanks!
1) I've used P&C at EA only. Works fine. Note that your free 250kWh are only at EA. Not anywhere in the Blue Oval network.

If P&C fails for some reason, unplug, and open FordPass and go to Charging, Blue Oval Network, View Chargers. Select the location, then the charger, and hit Select. Then plug in.

2) If you use any app, it overrides P&C. Once you use your free hours, you may want to use the apps to obtain discounts, like EA's Pass+.

3) Hours, worse case overnight.

Note that in many states EA charges by the kWh, but in about 10 states they charge by the minute. By the minute is about 1/2 the cost of by the kWh. If you're going to do lots of traveling and want to maximize your free hours, don't use them in by kWh states. Use EA Pass+ in those states (activate charger via EA app, then plug in).

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do I know that P&C is enabled? Under Ford Connected Services it mentions it but it doesnā€™t clearly say ā€˜activeā€™ or ā€˜inactiveā€™
Go to the app, click on Plug & Charge. Toggle should be to the RIGHT.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Ah, ok, now I see it. Not sure if the ford pass needed to update in the App Store or just needed some time.
Everything seems to take awhile to update in FP.
Sponsored