BMW iX EV test drive at UDE event - compare to MME, PHEV ?

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Got to finally test drive a couple of BMWs at a corporate event in So Cal yesterday.

Since the dealers never have had any to test drive, I was curious as I had been a loyal BMW customer for over 20 years.

iX M50 - not impressed - for $85K, 320 mile range it drove like a plain EV with lots of tech, overweight feel, heavy regen like my Lightning, and a strange 5 sided steering wheel was unnerving.
i4 Premium - not impressed - tiny car (3 series) and drove like a Bolt EV - worst design for $60K.
X5 PHEV - drove the best for $65K it was the most sporty of them all. Only 30 mile EV range, but the sporty BMW tradition was there.

Only the X5 is eligible for tax credit (what ever that is in 2023), all 3 for a state rebate, and most importantly all 3 can get the HOV carpool exemption (yellow stickers) which is more valuable than the car itself....

My wife who initially does not want the incoming MME, really loved the X5 PHEV.

Since she currently drives a PHEV (Honda Clarity), and loves the convenience of fast fueling and quick 2 hour charge (L2) in the house garage, she is stuck on those features.

So now we are looking at ordering the X5 PHEV and trading in the Clarity.

I am looking forward to the MME that is coming in - will see when it arrives at the dealer....

Ford Mustang Mach-E BMW iX EV test drive at UDE event - compare to MME, PHEV ? IMG_5768 (1)

Ford Mustang Mach-E BMW iX EV test drive at UDE event - compare to MME, PHEV ? IMG_9784.JPG

Ford Mustang Mach-E BMW iX EV test drive at UDE event - compare to MME, PHEV ? IMG_5759

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
My Wife loves her MME but due to charging infrastructure concerns we are starting to think maybe we would have been better off getting a PHEV instead. She is also interested in the X5 PHEV! However getting one with all of the options she wants would run over $80K!

OP
OP
4sallypat

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
My Wife loves her MME but due to charging infrastructure concerns we are starting to think maybe we would have been better off getting a PHEV instead. She is also interested in the X5 PHEV! However getting one with all of the options she wants would run over $80K!
Exactly my wife's concern!

When we took a road trip from LA to Vegas in my Lightning EV, on the way back, we hit a number of fast charger issues (mainly not working), waiting around and slower than normal charge rates.

Her MME order ('22 -> '23) is being built next month but she said she does not want the MME anymore.

Guess she prefers what she is comfortable with: PHEV..

Here she was with an iX M60 but not impressed with the $100K price tag!

Ford Mustang Mach-E BMW iX EV test drive at UDE event - compare to MME, PHEV ? IMG_9783.JPG

Here I am with an X5 PHEV with a 4.4L V8 at $160,000:
Ford Mustang Mach-E BMW iX EV test drive at UDE event - compare to MME, PHEV ? IMG_5759 (1)

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
None of the BMW dealers in our area even have one available for a test drive. Maybe we will get to see one at the Orlando Auto show in December?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I test drove an iX M60, M340i xDrive, 430i GC, 530e, and autocrossed the i4 M50 this past weekend at an UDE event.

I have to say the iX M60 air suspension was glorious. Angels were raining down and singing praises. Yes, the acceleration was wicked and yes the 30-speaker system was ungodly too... but that suspension. The roads around the event were horrific so the 430i was bouncing all over the place with the firm suspension. A day later I test drove a 2022 Model S with air + yoke and that suspension is no better than the i4 rear air suspension.

My favorite car of the day was the M340i. So light. So nimble. 100% opposite to EVs which are fat and overweight.

I've test driven the i4 M50 (and iX 50) before but on city streets and a short highway section with tons of traffic. These UDE events where they give you the keys and allow you to drive wherever... are the best experiences IMO.

OP
OP
4sallypat

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
I test drove an iX M60, M340i xDrive, 430i GC, 530e, and autocrossed the i4 M50 this past weekend at an UDE event.

I have to say the iX M60 air suspension was glorious. Angels were raining down and singing praises. Yes, the acceleration was wicked and yes the 30-speaker system was ungodly too... but that suspension. The roads around the event were horrific so the 430i was bouncing all over the place with the firm suspension. A day later I test drove a 2022 Model S with air + yoke and that suspension is no better than the i4 rear air suspension.

My favorite car of the day was the M340i. So light. So nimble. 100% opposite to EVs which are fat and overweight.

I've test driven the i4 M50 (and iX 50) before but on city streets and a short highway section with tons of traffic. These UDE events where they give you the keys and allow you to drive wherever... are the best experiences IMO.
That's exactly how I felt when I drove the EV vs ICE (PHEV) !

The EV was very heavily bogged down = not sporty / not BMW tradition.
ICE/PHEV was much lighter and felt more traditional BMW.
Sponsored