Boise , Portland, Cloverdale CA, Reno NV, back to Boise. Notes on Range and Electrify America!~!

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, replacing a 1999 Chevy Metro LOL!
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
First big trip in the Mach e RT1 and first time using DC fast charging. I'll try not to make this a novella.

Started trip 7/30/22 and ended 8/5/22

Weather was in the high 90s to low 100s all week.

First leg Boise to Portland. (430miles traveling 75 to 80mph)
Tried using ABRP as I drove but found very soon that I couldn't stay to the plan and the app lagged when using for directions so just starting planning to the next Electrify America and used Google Maps for directions. Ended up using ABRP for making general plans.
Made the first charge stop at the Hermiston, OR Electrify America Station (77522 OR-207, Hermiston, OR 97838)
Of the 4 chargers only one was capable of 150kW and was in use at the time. I charged at 30kW until the other car left. Not good EA!
Second charge was at an EA in Portland. Mach E was at 15% state of charge. Cooler temps but still not fully operational. I needed to charge before seeing relatives because they only had a 110v outlet.

Second Leg Portland to Cloverdale CA (594 miles traveling 75 to 80mph)
ABRP planned the shortest route but longer time. Fine with me because I traveled Route 101 most of the way vs. Interstate 5. Got to see the ocean and redwoods.
Charged in Eugene OR, Grants Pass OR, and Eureka CA. All EA network. All stations still having operational problems due to the heat? Not cool EA! At all charge stations I was able to get to 150kW after other cars moved on, or if I was the only car there sometimes it took some trial and error to find a 150kW station.
Made it to Cloverdale with 11% battery and used 110v for 24hr+ to bring the car up to over 130 miles of range. My parents were baffled that it took so long to charge. LOL

Third Leg Donner Pass, Cloverdale to Truckee in one Charge! Then on to Reno. (228 miles traveling 55 to 80mph)
Well I didn't consider the elevation gain when planning this leg from 300ft to 7000ft! At the end I thought I may get stuck like the Donner Party of yore! Each time I looked at the Guess-O-Meter I lost a little more buffer till I only had 5 miles over what it took to get to Truckee. Luckily, once I got over the pass the regenerative braking kicked in and I was able to gain some miles back. I was sweating it though! Was able to get 150kW in Truckee EA.

Last leg the Winnemucca Gap! Reno to Boise through Winnemucca via US 95. (442 miles traveling 55-70mph)
This is the leg I feared most because Winnemucca is the last EA till Boise (256 miles). There are Shell Recharge Stations at Orovada NV and McDermitt NV but both stations have been reported as having issues. After calling the stations I was notified that the McDermitt charger was completely dead so I planned to top off at Orovada. To be safe I charged to 99% at Winnemucca. I was able to top off to 97% at Orovada before the charger errored out. On this leg is where I found out it pays to drive below 60 mph. From Oravada to when I hit I84 in Nampa, ID the highest speed I traveled was 60mph. Yes, even truckers passed me since the road has a speed limit of 70mph, but I made it to Boise with 110 miles left on the Guess-O-meter.

Only once did the Mach e give me an issue when for no reason at all the touch screen went blank and rebooted while I was driving. Weird!

All in all it was a great experience.
Sponsored

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It’s mostly downhill from McDermott to Boise as you come out of the Owyhees. Bummer that the route planning had you stressed sometimes. With more stations coming soon, this hyper-detailed trip planning should become a thing of the past.

side note: EA has taken a noticeable dive in availability this summer. I’m seeing stations down to a single working charger or even zero. Hermiston, OR was completely offline for two weeks recently.

OP
OP
Zapata

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
With more stations coming soon, this hyper-detailed trip planning should become a thing of the past.
My aunt was being a bit critical about how much planning I had to do and said she was just too old to understand. I told her it was kind of like planning a long trip in 1975 with a 1969 Chevelle! Talk about range anxiety, not to mention breakdown anxiety! LOL

Last edited:

Toy_collector

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Tesla model Y Chevy bolt
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Do you have any idea about what your average miles/KWH was on some of the flatter sections?

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Do you have any idea about what your average miles/KWH was on some of the flatter sections?
I did a trip Phoenix to San Diego recently in my CR1. The first leg to the charging stop (230 miles) was relatively flat and 70-75mph, I arrived with 24% battery left and got 3.4mile/kwh.

OP
OP
Zapata

Zapata

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Orovada to Boise 3.5 miles per kWh (60mph)

When I drove from Orovada NV to Boise ID I kept my speed no higher than 60 for most of the way (except for the last 20 miles when I knew I would make it home). The road is not flat. I did have to go over the Owyhee mountains.

Basically, if you need range go slow!

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
One thing that may help with the heat is to wrap a wet towel around the charge handle. They have temperature sensors in them and will throttle if they are too hot. I have to do that at a particular charger because it just bakes in the sun. No overhang. I actually burn my hand on the handle.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
My aunt was being a bit critical about how much planning I had to do and said she was just too old to understand. I told her it was kind of like planning a long trip in 1975 with a 1969 Chevelle! Talk about range anxiety, not to mention breakdown anxiety! LOL
I remember being sure to inventory my tools and spare parts before road-trips in the 70s. And don’t forget to bring a quart or 2 of oil.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I told her it was kind of like planning a long trip in 1975 with a 1969 Chevelle! Talk about range anxiety, not to mention breakdown anxiety! LOL
This pretty much what I tell people who bitch about having to plan as well. Also an Idaho Native here. I remember Boise to San Diego trips. You planned where you could get gas and even if you had 3/4 tank you stopped to fill up when you saw a gas station. The Rand McNally got pretty dog eared seeing how many miles to the next town big enough to have a gas station. I live in the east now and these people don’t have a concept of long lonely roads.

Toy_collector

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Tesla model Y Chevy bolt
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I did a trip Phoenix to San Diego recently in my CR1. The first leg to the charging stop (230 miles) was relatively flat and 70-75mph, I arrived with 24% battery left and got 3.4mile/kwh.
That's really good! thanks for the update.
Sponsored