mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I liked my 2017 Bolt, but I like the Mach-E even more :) I had the Premier version and I do miss the rear-view camera though. That was one of the best features that car had. I'm sad that the Mach-E didn't try to include that. The rear window on this car is so small.
Sponsored

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt 2017, Mustang Mach E FE Grabber Blue
Country flag
Once we receive our MME FE by March, we will be selling our 2017 Chevy Bolt. Great car, just too small to be our main car.

Reactions: DBC

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt 2017, Mustang Mach E FE Grabber Blue
Country flag
Yes! I forgot about that. It's definitely gonna feel like a step backwards there. I've gotten so used to the rear view camera...it's so great to have.
Yes. I agree. Really like the rear view mirror camera mode in our Bolt. It is so great. That is the one feature all cars should have. Especially when passengers are in back seat.

OP
OP
FPLiptak

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Still leasing the Bolt but doesn't change the fact that the rearview camera is awesome. Gives you a very wide angle so it's fantastic when merging onto the freeway.
I'm Glad that some people love the Rear View Mirror Camera.

I tried it a few times and could not get used to the lack of depth perception when compared to the mirror.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
My concern is whether you are able to claim the Federal tax credit twice in the same tax year. If not, the be Bolt EUV will likely be the route I go. Or, if you can claim two tax credits in one year and the new administration gives Tesla and Chevy more access to the credits, I'll probably go with the Bolt as well (she may want the Tesla MY if she finds out, but I doubt she will and I don't want to go the Tesla route since they don't need the help selling EVs).
Yes, you can claim multiple credits in a single year, provided you have the tax liability to offset it. I was actually planning to do just that last year, but we know how that ended up. As you said, you'd really need some help from the Feds to make it worth your while on a Bolt.

One additional advantage here in WA is that you get state sales tax relief on cars listed under $45K. Advantage Bolt, my MME FE didn't qualify :(.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I tried it a few times and could not get used to the lack of depth perception when compared to the mirror.
Can be an issue. I didn't need to adjust. I was fine with it after the first minute or so. My wife loves it but says she needed to adjust. The only thing odd is that headlights from other vehicles during daylight can flicker -- the camera isn't refreshing fast enough.

As you said, you'd really need some help from the Feds to make it worth your while on a Bolt.
No help. GM ran out of credits long ago.

Or, if you can claim two tax credits in one year and the new administration gives Tesla and Chevy more access to the credits, I'll probably go with the Bolt as well (she may want the Tesla MY if she finds out, but I doubt she will and I don't want to go the Tesla route since they don't need the help selling EVs).

I'm a little nervous about going full BEV on my wife's car since we Street Park, so the Mach E will be a good litmus test. If I think it'll be too difficult we'll go with a PHEV. Long winded way of saying I'm happy to hear such positive feedback on the Bolt lolol
For city driving I'd take the Bolt over the MME in a heartbeat. It's small and nimble. On the highway no comparison -- the MME wins hands down.

For a Bolt or MME to work with street parking I'd think you'd need convenient DC charging, and even then it might be a PITA. The reality is that PHEVs will probably drive as many electric miles as a full BEV. The problem is that their small batteries are going to preclude DC charging. So you need AC charging available somewhere convenient like work.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
My Bolt doesn't have the rear-view cam and I can't use one.

Prior to purchasing the Bolt we rented (Turo'd) one on vacation. That one was a premier and had the rear-view cam. The problem with that is....I'm old (ok not that old: 50s) and need reading glasses. Thus the perspective shift from infinite viewing out the front to near focus of the rear view cam is too jarring and I find I can't focus on it enough in time. I ended up turning off the rear view cam even though I liked the wide aspect of it; it just turned out to be too distracting while driving as it took me 3-4 extra seconds to focus on it than a simple glance in the mirror (where my eye focus didn't have to change).

Of course that could be adjusted with a lens on the monitor forcing you to keep your eyes at "infinite" than close up but....

Thus it doesn't make a difference to me that the Mach-E doesn't have it..
Give progressive lenses a try. I do not require corrective lenses for reading, but do require them for everything else. I started using the progressive lenses while teaching. It was a hassle taking glasses on and off. I could leave them on while reading with a student w/o breaking or misplacing them. I have no problems with my Bolt and anticipate none with the MME. I started with glasses in early grammar school, so they are just part of me.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Can be an issue. I didn't need to adjust. I was fine with it after the first minute or so. My wife loves it but says she needed to adjust. The only thing odd is that headlights from other vehicles during daylight can flicker -- the camera isn't refreshing fast enough.

No help. GM ran out of credits long ago.

For city driving I'd take the Bolt over the MME in a heartbeat. It's small and nimble. On the highway no comparison -- the MME wins hands down.

For a Bolt or MME to work with street parking I'd think you'd need convenient DC charging, and even then it might be a PITA. The reality is that PHEVs will probably drive as many electric miles as a full BEV. The problem is that their small batteries are going to preclude DC charging. So you need AC charging available somewhere convenient like work.
These days I probably do about 75% highway, 25% City, primarily due to ordering most of our groceries, and taking Lyft if we go to restaurants (the Parklets popping up all over SF are awesome, but they've taken up all the street parking lol).

My plan is to use the level 2 chargers near my house and office for at least a few hours daily, and then find DC for the longer drives. I'm hoping that works out, but as they say, "no plan survives contact with the enemy" lol

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
My first electric was a 2012 Volt. Amazing. Still own it. Will trade it in or sell it to Carmax assuming we purchase the MME.

Leased a 2015 C-Max Energi for 24 months. Interior was much nicer, but range at 21 miles was just too low. And the battery pack in the rear cargo area was just sad.

Leased a 2017 Bolt Premier. We liked the exterior, which many hated. Interior was just not up to par for a car of that price range in 2017. But it was the best EV choice for us at that time. We both loved driving it! Rear camera mirror - I used it all the time. Wife would turn it off.... We never had the complaint about the front seats, that so many did. We averaged 4.2 miles per kWh, in SE Florida running the AC almost all the time. Had GM made any type of offer to make a reasonable purchase of it, we would have bought it. But they would not budge on the buyout. So it was turned in in January. I am sure it has sold for much less than the lease purchase price in our contract.

I have very high hopes for the MME, if I ever get to see or drive one. My car is "in transit" somewhere from the factory with a an expected delivery in early April. But today I received the dreaded weirdly worded email so who knows when I will see it. My agreement to purchase is based on a successful test drive. So all we are doing now is waiting.

And my dealer's demo MME was produced in Nov, didn't ship until early Feb, and is sitting in Kansas City. FMC has some work to do to fix this launch.....

Jim

Ructtel

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR RWD, Chevy Bolt, Subaru Outback
Country flag
I had to turn in my leased 2017 Bolt last August. I really liked the Bolt and it made me never want to go back to a gas car again. But my Mach-E is a big step up in almost every way. The Mach-E is more comfortable, has better performance, better tech, better sound system, its quieter, has a frunk, has power seats w/ memory, charges faster, has more safety features, etc. etc. I only miss two things about the Bolt - the little paddle to add more regen and the $179 lease payment.

Last edited:

D’Roc

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E SR eAWD
Occupation
Program Manager
Country flag
I just sold my Cadillac ELR (Volt twin) and am awaiting delivery of my MME.
Keeping the 2013 Volt for my kids to use.

3C6C2E98-CBB0-423C-8049-0A9005FFE3C7.jpeg

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I just sold my Cadillac ELR (Volt twin) and am awaiting delivery of my MME.
Keeping the 2013 Volt for my kids to use.

3C6C2E98-CBB0-423C-8049-0A9005FFE3C7.jpeg

Good thing you're getting rid of that junk.

D’Roc

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E SR eAWD
Occupation
Program Manager
Country flag

Good thing you're getting rid of that junk.
The AT&T Exec that convinced GM they could sell this for $76K was obviously not a “car guy”.
But I bought mine CPO for $29K and it was a great deal. I occasionally got 40+ Miles of Electric Range and, as Dan said in his review, it drove and road well and looked outstanding.
And to sell it to a Dealership 36K miles later for $20.5K, depreciation was a minimum.
That said, driving the MME RWD, the 5.8 second 0-60 is noticeably faster than the ELRs 8.0 seconds.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I miss my regen paddle. I still grab for it when I might otherwise need to use the friction brakes.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Yes, you can claim multiple credits in a single year, provided you have the tax liability to offset it. I was actually planning to do just that last year, but we know how that ended up. As you said, you'd really need some help from the Feds to make it worth your while on a Bolt.

One additional advantage here in WA is that you get state sales tax relief on cars listed under $45K. Advantage Bolt, my MME FE didn't qualify :(.
I did claim 2 credits in 2018 when I bought both a Volt and a Clarity, like you said you just need to have enough tax liability. I used it to pay off the Clarity.
Sponsored