Boom - damage...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Heading out to pickup stuff at the library, and then pizza. Dark out, driving 45mph, all of a sudden there's a black shape and boom. Seemed to also go under the vehicle. Pulled over, turned around, went back. Nothing there.

Pulled into a lighted area, and the painted port for the battery cables was hanging down (went back in just fine). The radiator control shutter, i.e. the gray/black area with shutters and front sensors, is broken. Looks like that's a $700+ list part. No idea what else, car drives fine. Will have to look in the morning.

As I continued my drive, there was a large deer laying on the side of the road. Glad I didn't hit that.

#ExpensivePizza
Sponsored

Last edited:

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Heading out to pickup stuff at the library, and then pizza. Dark out, driving 45mph, all of a sudden there's a black shape and boom. Seemed to also go under the vehicle. Pulled over, turned around, went back. Nothing there.

Pulled into a lighted area, and the painted port for the battery cables was hanging down (went back in just fine). The radiator control shutter, i.e. the gray/black area with shutters and front sensors, is broken. Looks like that's a $700+ list part. No idea what else, car drives fine. Will have to look in the morning.

As I continued my drive, there was a large deer laying on the side of the road. Glad I didn't here that.

#ExpensivePizza
So as far as borrowing the '67....... It just got a lot less likely ?

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Contacted my dealer, 3/4ths of the body shop is out due to Covid protocols. GM is just getting over it... They can't get me an estimate for a while.

Anyway, I confirmed that grill is just under $500 and available. Now I have to figure out how hard it would be to replace. Anyone have a service manual? Looks like I take off the black bottom piece, then the painted piece, then this? All accessible when I remove the bottom diaper?

Wonder how you test the shutters if you're not high speed charging in hot weather?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Contacted my dealer, 3/4ths of the body shop is out due to Covid protocols. GM is just getting over it... They can't get me an estimate for a while.

Anyway, I confirmed that grill is just under $500 and available. Now I have to figure out how hard it would be to replace. Anyone have a service manual? Looks like I take off the black bottom piece, then the painted piece, then this? All accessible when I remove the bottom diaper?

Wonder how you test the shutters if you're not high speed charging in hot weather?
When you hit wildlife or unexpected items out of your control, aren't they covered under comprehensive insurance? Or all moving accidents fall under collision? I had a tree branch fall while driving on my Mercedes and it fell under comprehensive, rate didn't go up since it was comprehensive and doesn't count against you.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Rate won't go up.
$250 500 deductible.
Loss of claim free discount for 3 years (2 since we had 1 in 2019).

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
When you hit wildlife or unexpected items out of your control, aren't they covered under comprehensive insurance? Or all moving accidents fall under collision? I had a tree branch fall while driving on my Mercedes and it fell under comprehensive, rate didn't go up since it was comprehensive and doesn't count against you.
Should indeed be comp.

Rate won't go up.
$500 deductible.
Loss of claim free discount for 3 years (2 since we had 1 in 2019).
My insurance discount is called “accident free”, not claim free. Collision claims are the only ding against that. Comp claim has no effect.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

The shutters can be commanded open or closed via competent scan tool. The actuator is probably okay. I've looked at the replacement procedure a while back for someone else. I think it says to remove the front bumper cover and once that is off then the rest of fairly straight forward.

I will get the procedure for you.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Boom - damage... PXL_20211111_133421862
Ford Mustang Mach-E Boom - damage... PXL_20211111_133428052

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, to clarify, yes an impact with an animal is a comprehensive claim. I have a $250 deductible on that, not $500 (corrected post). My discount is about 3%, and is based on the previous 3 years. If I make a claim this policy year, I lose the discount for the next 3 years. And, it doesn't matter if it's a collision or a comprehensive claim.

My current policy is around $3,000 for 2 vehicles (Michigan is the 2nd highest state for vehicle insurance in the country, used to be 1st). 3% is $90. Loss of that for 3 years is around $270. We made our last claim in 2019, so that hits 2020, 2021, and 2022. This claim will hit 2022, 2023, and 2024, therefore we only lose 2/3 of the discount since we're already losing a year.

$800+ claim - $250 deductible - $180 loss of claim free discount = $370+ paid for by insurance company.

And yes, it's a "claim-free" discount, not an "accident-free" discount, and comp does count.

While part could be replaced by a knowledgeable person (and costs around $500), camera needs to be recalibrated, sensors too, and there are hundreds of fasteners. Wheels need to be removed, and a whole bunch of bumper parts. So I can pay out of pocket $500 for the part (and do hours of labor and maybe find other things broken), or I can pay $430 ($250+180) for the insurance company to pay for it.

Therefore, making this claim is a no-brainer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Insurance company approved the $1,985 estimate today. I have yet to see it and why it jumped so much.

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bottom spoiler got a crack also, on the underside. Despite nothing needing to be painted, the removal requires the frunk cover being removed, fender liners, front wheels, and hundreds of fasteners. Nearly 8 hours of labor.

Also, the parts are at full retail. Shutter assembly is $740.52, but they sell it online at the dealer for $488.74. The bottom molding is $706.40, it's sold online by them for $466.22. That's a total of $491.96 more just on parts vs. buying it yourself.

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Good luck! I hope they fix it without any issues!

OP
OP
RickMachE

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good luck! I hope they fix it without any issues!
Thx. They should, it's nearly all plastic connectors. And the body shop manager knows I am very particular. It will also get the big module update.
Sponsored