Bought 2023 MME prior (1/1) to recent price cuts & IRS reclassification? Let's unite!!

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Now with the IRS ruling on battery chemistry in March puts my '23 at risk of half or no credit depending on how IRS rules.
The IRS has a rule in place that if a taxpayer relies on IRS guidance, they're not supposed to be penalized by rule changes in the middle of the year. I.e you relied on preliminary guidance that was more lax, and then they finalized rules that resulted in a stricter rule. You should still be able to claim the full amount of the tax credit for purchases up until they release actual preliminary guidance sometime in March.
Sponsored

KwhPony

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME GT, 20 Acura RDX, 23 Tesla MY ordered
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, well...I would think the ""line in the sand" here, in this situation, would not be the date of "MM/DD/YYYY" (01/01/2023) but the actual model year of the car - 2023. Any model year before that would not qualify for the rebate, for the simple reason that people who bought 2023 should get the 2023 price, whatever (and whenever?) that is.
That makes good sense.

That said, it did feel a bit unsettling to me when I took delivery of my 2022 model year on 2/7/23. My MSRP price was $1,400 more than the same 2023 model, with the then current prices. After waiting 10 months from placing my order I was exhausted and didn’t quibble about this.

There could be a smallish batch of similarly situated 2022 buyers. But I guess they/we should be content to have received our vehicles. Even at a time when the newer model year was less expensive.

I suppose I could have tried to push my down payment to a 2023 model and placed a new order at the lower price. But after my last build/delivery experience I was in no mood for that. And the economic hit for me isn’t nearly as bad as for 2023 models purchased before 1/1/23.

pimperial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company any thoughts on if the Customer Satisfaction Offer can be extended to prior to 1/1 MY 23 deliveries? Feeling pretty hosed as theres no material difference between our purchases and 1/1-1/30 purchases given the IRS reclassification.

choson

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT, Honda Odyssey
Country flag
I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, but this is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company. Congrats on your new 2023 Mustang Mach-E purchase. The Mustang Mach-E is an excellent choice as you will surely save money that would otherwise be spent at the gas pump. We understand you reached out about the goodwill offer for 2023 Mustang Mach-E’s. We are happy to respond.

We apologize but the goodwill offer is only for those 2023 Mustang Mach-E customers who transacted after January 1, 2023. We are specifically looking after our customers who were ineligible for the tax credit available in 2022 and may have already ordered or taken delivery of their vehicle before this price adjustment. We are sorry but offers cannot be generated upon request. We do appreciate your feedback as it helps us get better at what we do.

OP
OP
MME_USA

MME_USA

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask, but this is the response I got:
This doesn't make sense after the IRS reclassification. At least they should provide a well-cooked reason.
" We are specifically looking after our customers who were ineligible for the tax credit available in 2022 and may have already ordered or taken delivery of their vehicle before this price adjustment "

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2022 Mach E select AWD
Country flag
This doesn't make sense after the IRS reclassification. At least they should provide a well-cooked reason.
" We are specifically looking after our customers who were ineligible for the tax credit available in 2022 and may have already ordered or taken delivery of their vehicle before this price adjustment "
People that took delivery with high incomes in January don't get the tax credit while people that took delivery in '22 get it so it's not apples to apples completely. Ford already half assed the refund by tying up half of it to worthless ford points and made the time to claim the refund extremely short by industry standards. They clearly won't extend this to thousands of other people especially after they are having a disaster of a first quarter. Sadly the writing is on the wall
Sponsored