Bought 2023 MME prior (1/1) to recent price cuts & IRS reclassification? Let's unite!!

67mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'67 Mustang, '14 SVT Raptor, '23 Mach-E GT
Country flag
I took delivery of a MME 2023 Premium Extended Range on December 26, 2022 (Merry Christmas to me)! The purpose of this thread should be for the owners who took possession of 2023 MME's before January 1, 2023. People telling us that we shouldn't complain are not helping. I for one am also kind of pissed off at the price drops. To be honest I have some buyers remorse on getting this MME. I love the car but the $1100/Month Payment makes me sick since the previous high payment for me was for a Chevy Tahoe for less than $700/Month. I feel like Ford was taking advantage of the situation when they raised the price of the MME's considerably back in September (I ordered my MME in August). I am also interested in what other Prior to 1/1/2023 MME Owners think and if they plan to do anything.

If you're sick over a $1100 car payment, then maybe you shouldn't have bought the car. The only person who signed you up for that payment is you, no one forced you to buy the car or took advantage of you. It was a choice you made because 1) you didn't want to wait to purchase the car, you wanted it now or 2) didn't want to buy a used one that would have cost less. If you're having buyers remorse after buying the car after a month it is sounding like you made a rash decision to get one instead of waiting. You knew the price of the car and you knew what the payments on that price would be like, there's no reason to feel "sick" over it unless you took on a payment you can't really afford.

Sorry, but it's hard to have sympathy when you should know what you're getting yourself into buying a $60k+ vehicle.
Sponsored

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
My ‘23 GT was delivered on 12/22/22 AND since I ordered back in April, I received the private offer of $8500. Now I also get the $7500 tax credit!

So no, I’m not going to complain about my ‘23 Mach E GT purchase given it’s ‘22 price plus the tax credit.

Probably not going to order my Lightning though as Ford sadly isn’t providing private offers on those early reservations.
I ran out and bought a '21 prem with 24K on the clock for more than you paid for your GT (*after discounts/credit) just weeks ago. Talk salty? I'm salty. If I could find a GT on a lot and they'd give me good money for my 21 I'd jump on it. (Quick scan through CL and Autotrader and there's still lots of selects and std range over $50k, The 1 GT on a lot being $72k. I'm only pretzel salty. The large rock salt size but only a few on it.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
MME_USA

MME_USA

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
Well said!

When we bought our house at the peak of buying frenzy pandemic year 2021:
  1. we paid a premium,
  2. did not get any lender points credit,
  3. no purchase conditions,
  4. waived everything,
  5. didn't hold the seller to any repairs, etc...
Now the prices have dropped $60K - should I ask for a refund too ???

There are no price guarantees for a home or vehicle.

For my incoming MME, it's now more stressful because I did not get delivery of my December built 2022 when it was more ideal with less restrictions and guaranteed PCO.

2023, I have to deal with the silly MSRP caps, income caps, and in March battery rules that the IRS will set.

Plus I don't know if I will buy it or walk away if it arrives after the IRS ruling.

At least folks that bought it in 2022 have a solid deal w/ PCO and tax refund next month!
Not apples to apples comparison here. See below statement from Ford. Increased production and streamlined costs don't occur overnight. They had a hefty margin after increasing 2023 prices (read-greed) and as a result of IRA. Also, I'm only talking about 2023 model prices and folks who purchased less than 30 days prior to the price change.

"Ford is significantly increasing production of the Mustang Mach-E this year to help reduce customer wait times and to take advantage of streamlined costs to reduce prices across the board, making Mustang Mach-E even more accessible to customers".

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
I'm sure I would feel the same as those who are upset/angry/disappointed/frustrated, you name it. However, this is how it goes in a free market system. It's not fair and it's not right, but they are doing what companies do in our system. As consumers, sometimes we win and sometimes we lose as a result.

Anytime we buy something there is always the possibility it drops in price after the fact. It happened to me this winter with an expensive coat I bought. Lucky for me I stumbled across this fact in time and was able to get a price adjustment, but that was just a coat. You don't expect that from a car purchase, but it was always a possibility nevertheless.

I'm sorry this happened to those of you who bought before January 1, 2023, but you can always see your dealer. The worst that can happen is that they say "sorry, can't do it."

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Not apples to apples comparison here. See below statement from Ford. Increased production and streamlined costs don't occur overnight. They had a hefty margin after increasing 2023 prices (read-greed) and as a result of IRA. Also, I'm only talking about 2023 model prices and folks who purchased less than 30 days prior to the price change.

"Ford is significantly increasing production of the Mustang Mach-E this year to help reduce customer wait times and to take advantage of streamlined costs to reduce prices across the board, making Mustang Mach-E even more accessible to customers".
Well that's funny!
Q: If Ford is actually producing more then where is mine ?
A: Sitting in Mexico since December when it was built.

Q: How does Ford count sales ?
A: When it marks sold by the dealer.

If I had a choice, I'd rather have my '23 delivered in 2022, get my full tax credit to file now, and be fine with not getting a price adjustment - instead I am stressing out over the stupid battery tax rules going into effect in March....

I'd trade you anyday!

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I took delivery of a MME 2023 Premium Extended Range on December 26, 2022 (Merry Christmas to me)! The purpose of this thread should be for the owners who took possession of 2023 MME's before January 1, 2023. People telling us that we shouldn't complain are not helping. I for one am also kind of pissed off at the price drops. To be honest I have some buyers remorse on getting this MME. I love the car but the $1100/Month Payment makes me sick since the previous high payment for me was for a Chevy Tahoe for less than $700/Month. I feel like Ford was taking advantage of the situation when they raised the price of the MME's considerably back in September (I ordered my MME in August). I am also interested in what other Prior to 1/1/2023 MME Owners think and if they plan to do anything.
Ford raised prices because they were losing money per MME. They have acknowledged that the price cuts will have them losing money again. However, it’s a competitive business. Tesla dropped prices at a time when Ford was increasing production capability of the MME. They are now hoping to have the increased production lower the per vehicle cost. They are betting billions on EVs and need it to pay off. I got my 22 GT at a lower price than a friend payed for a Premium ER RWD. In prior days one buyer might haggle a price 5-10,000 less than another buyer. That wasn’t fraud. This affects buyer of a 23 delivered the last 6 weeks of the year, plus or minus a few days. Maybe Ford will do something, maybe they won’t, maybe they can’t. Don’t blame anyone for hoping, but lowering prices due to market conditions based upon a competitor’s drastic price drop isn’t fraud, it’s business. They didn’t start the year thinking about dropping prices and I’m sure it wasn’t on their minds when they started delivering the 23s. Unintended consequences of external events.

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT
Country flag
I ran out and bought a '21 prem with 24K on the clock for more than you paid for your GT (*after discounts/credit) just weeks ago. Talk salty? I'm salty. If I could find a GT on a lot and they'd give me good money for my 21 I'd jump on it. (Quick scan through CL and Autotrader and there's still lots of selects and std range over $50k, The 1 GT on a lot being $72k. I'm only pretzel salty. The large rock salt size but only a few on it.)
Suggest cars.com as your first search source going forward. Much more content and geographical coverage.

njb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red 2023 GT
Country flag
Yes, Ford increased price only because people would pay that price. Just like dealers added ADM and were reluctant to negotiate it for awhile. Neither is in it to sell you a car at a "fair" price. They are trying to make money and they will take every cent you will pay.

Those that paid at the peak so far (whether MSRP or +ADM) are at least aware of what their tax situation is and have a car in their possession. The majority of those that are getting an adjustment either are waiting on a car (which we all know can be frustrating) and/or have much more restrictive tax credit qualifications.

Those that took delivery in 12/22 know how awful it was to see your date slipping towards 2023 and know that you would lose $7500 at the stroke of midnight. This is no different. It always feels bad when you think you've missed out on something but almost everyone is missing out on something (no car, no tax credit, etc...). The few that "won" this round have taken delivery or will take delivery in 2023 prior to the battery decisions and know they qualify for the tax credit in those three months. That's a very small subset.

And even though EVs are going through an adjustment period with pricing I'm 100% positive that the price of the MME will trend up through the model years. So you can walk on the car you ordered, you could wait and see if incentives change though possibly pay even more but in turn maybe get better technology, or you can drive the car now if it's really what you want.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Yes, Ford increased price only because people would pay that price. Just like dealers added ADM and were reluctant to negotiate it for awhile. Neither is in it to sell you a car at a "fair" price. They are trying to make money and they will take every cent you will pay.

Those that paid at the peak so far (whether MSRP or +ADM) are at least aware of what their tax situation is and have a car in their possession. The majority of those that are getting an adjustment either are waiting on a car (which we all know can be frustrating) and/or have much more restrictive tax credit qualifications.

Those that took delivery in 12/22 know how awful it was to see your date slipping towards 2023 and know that you would lose $7500 at the stroke of midnight. This is no different. It always feels bad when you think you've missed out on something but almost everyone is missing out on something (no car, no tax credit, etc...). The few that "won" this round have taken delivery or will take delivery in 2023 prior to the battery decisions and know they qualify for the tax credit in those three months. That's a very small subset.

And even though EVs are going through an adjustment period with pricing I'm 100% positive that the price of the MME will trend up through the model years. So you can walk on the car you ordered, you could wait and see if incentives change though possibly pay even more but in turn maybe get better technology, or you can drive the car now if it's really what you want.
Well said and agree.

From someone waiting for their order 10 months (originally ordered April 2022), I would have preferred to have taken delivery in December '22 when it was built.

If I took possession in 2022 and give up on the notion of a price drop check from Ford that the OP is demanding; I would get the full tax credit without the income cap, MSRP cap, battery credit cut, and no IRS paperwork to send with my tax return in 2024.

Easily worth giving up on the '23 price drop check!

Instead, my transitional order is looming stuck in Mexico and the March deadline where the IRS rules on the battery is coming up.

Some say the tax credit after the IRS rules will be half, others say none.

That would put a huge dent (middle income, government employee) in capturing the $7500.

So hats off to those lucky ones that got their '23 in 2022!

DomiinUS

First Name
Dominik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mustang 2.3
Country flag
man you are insane how much you complain....
you will (most likely, as you talk about paperwork for taxes 2024, thus I assume income limit is not an issue for you) get AT LEAST half the IRS tax refund, you get the price cut (I remember you had a premium, thus 4000$), you get the PCO for the 2022 prices
--> you are even 250$ ahead of a end 2022 delivery

IF you get it before March (material rules from IRS, while actually nobody knows yet if these are really put in effect in 2023) you are even 4000$ ahead the end 2022 delivery

well, as I said before: at least your dog is cute!

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Did people in the past have these kind of reaction when a manufacturer gives incentives or rebates to move cars? Some of the incentives in the past could be in the thousands, more than the price reduction we see here.

njb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red 2023 GT
Country flag
Yeah, the new IRS ruling does not make me happy with the price reduction. Ford had to have known that the IRS was considering this. They should now refund all 2023 MY for the price reduction. But they won't. What I said still stands, but oh well...

OP
OP
MME_USA

MME_USA

First Name
Sye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
Yeah, the new IRS ruling does not make me happy with the price reduction. Ford had to have known that the IRS was considering this. They should now refund all 2023 MY for the price reduction. But they won't. What I said still stands, but oh well...
There is absolutely nothing wrong in demanding. Ignore the haters. It's more about Ford brand and if they want to do the right thing as a 100-year-old company.
@Ford Motor Company
Sponsored

Last edited: