Bought Demo Car & Dealer Wants me to Assign (Give) it Ford’s $7500 Incentive One Month After Sale with Backdated Signature

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
plus pocket another $7,500 tax credit that the government intended for the buyer.
The dealer can't get the federal tax credit because they became the first owner with the intent to resell it. That disqualifies them.
Sponsored

MMXX500

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GT500 2021 MACH-E GT/PE
Occupation
Dosser
Country flag
The dealer can't get the federal tax credit because they became the first owner with the intent to resell it. That disqualifies them.
I'm on the fence on this one because the dealer intent at their time of purchase should not be for resale but for in-service use as a loaner car. The dealership can usually qualify by purchasing and registering but I don't remember if there is an in-service time requirement.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
I'd wager based on the amount of mileage and time Ford required the courtesy cars to have, plus that their original purpose was for education and in-service/loaner none of them will lose sleep at night claiming the credit. The car I bought had 2,000 miles plus four months of service, which I think were the minimums required by Ford before it could be sold.

I do understand the point you are making though, I'm just guessing they won't have any trouble with it... but I'm just a guy on the Internet and definitely not a tax professional!

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I'd wager based on the amount of mileage and time Ford required the courtesy cars to have, plus that their original purpose was for education and in-service/loaner none of them will lose sleep at night claiming the credit. The car I bought had 2,000 miles plus four months of service, which I think were the minimums required by Ford before it could be sold.

I do understand the point you are making though, I'm just guessing they won't have any trouble with it... but I'm just a guy on the Internet and definitely not a tax professional!
This is the correct answer. I'm not sure why so many people are saying it is illegal for dealers to claim the credit; they're buying the car as a demo or loaner vehicle. And then there are further guidelines for how long they have to keep the car time or mileage wise before they can resell it. Some states just allow them to sell loaners/demos as new, like California, and the dealer never gets the federal rebate, the "first buyer" does even though it seems used.

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If the car was truly a “demo”. it Is a car that was an Unregistered and unsold wholesale purchase that was authorized for use as a demonstration vehicle which could be drive on the highway for such purpose using special license plates.

you Are the first Registered retail owner and the person intended for the incentive. The fraudulent request for the backdating of the document indicates that the dealer intends to register the car at a prior date and show you as a second purchaser.
Retail Ford dealers are not “titled owners “of their sales merchandise. No title is issued by the state until the vehicle is sold to a retail buyer. Demonstrators have no titles associated with them. The come from the Manufacture with a certificate of production which does not confer ownership, only certifies that the car exists.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Retail Ford dealers are not “titled owners “of their sales merchandise. No title is issued by the state until the vehicle is sold to a retail buyer. Demonstrators have no titles associated with them.
You can't make that blanket statement. Some states require demo vehicles to be titled by the dealer if it's not actively available for sale. Hence this whole discussion.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
How much discounts did they give you for mileage? Does seem fair if they already gave you $7600 in discount to sign. If not, then they should at least give you the difference if you sign.

MMXX500

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GT500 2021 MACH-E GT/PE
Occupation
Dosser
Country flag
Retail Ford dealers are not “titled owners “of their sales merchandise. No title is issued by the state until the vehicle is sold to a retail buyer. Demonstrators have no titles associated with them. The come from the Manufacture with a certificate of production which does not confer ownership, only certifies that the car exists.
Case in point is not a dealer demonstrator. It is a CVTP vehicle ( courtesy vehicle transportation program, shuttle ) These cars are sold to the dealer by the dealer ( sales dept to service dept ) and contracted by the dealer, registered and titled by DMV - in most states at least. These vehicles are usually put into service several cars at a time and the finance manager on duty does the paperwork the same way they would for a customer purchase. Fun to watch because the finance manager will be ranting and raving about making no money and working for free as the dealership will not purchase any optional extras!

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You can't make that blanket statement. Some states require demo vehicles to be titled by the dealer if it's not actively available for sale. Hence this whole discussion
You can't make that blanket statement. Some states require demo vehicles to be titled by the dealer if it's not actively available for sale. Hence this whole discussion.
You’re right. Somehow I got it in my head hat this was a California dealer. Assuming facts not in evidence. My bad.
Sponsored