Bought Demo Car & Dealer Wants me to Assign (Give) it Ford’s $7500 Incentive One Month After Sale with Backdated Signature

OP
OP

Machemich83

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Premium
Occupation
Lawyer
Country flag
i was not given $7500 discount at time of sale. Just discount based on mileage. I asked about the incentive because I had read about it online and no one knew what I was talking about.

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Unless you talked about it and agreed to it, I'd tell them to pound sand. I'd also mention that you're really looking forward to the post-sale Ford survey if they want to push the issue.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP

Machemich83

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Premium
Occupation
Lawyer
Country flag
Unless you talked about it and agreed to it, I'd tell them to pound sand. I'd also mention that you're really looking forward to the post-sale Ford survey if they want to push the issue.
they waited until after I completed the survey to send this. ?

ManInBlack

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prem. Mach E SR AWD; Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Do not sign anything that has to be “backdated” that is complete fraud. In fact, I’d reach out to corporate Ford and the BBB. Why would you ever give 7500 additional to the dealer a month after purchasing?

jjhenry

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT, '69 Chevy C20, '99 Rodeo, '09 Vespa
Occupation
IT
Country flag
If the dealership was the first titled owner of the car, they would qualify for $7500 off of their tax liability from the government. AFAIK, there is no $7500 from Ford. They should not be coming after you for the money.

If you are the first legal owner, that tax credit is yours, and I'd tell the dealer to pound sand.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
i was not given $7500 discount at time of sale. Just discount based on mileage. I asked about the incentive because I had read about it online and no one knew what I was talking about.
If you don’t sign it, is Ford going to send you a check?

Do you still get the $7500 tax credit?

What even is this incentive? Sounds like something Ford gives the dealer so they can sell demo cars in case the customer doesn’t get the tax credit.

Edit- looking again I would check option B- customer receives a check from Ford.

OP
OP

Machemich83

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Premium
Occupation
Lawyer
Country flag
If the dealership was the first titled owner if the car, they would qualify for $7500 off of their tax liabilty from the government. AFAIK, there is no $7500 from Ford. They should not be coming after you for the money.

If you are the first legal owner, that tax credit is yours, and I'd tell the dealer to pound sand.
There is $7500 from Ford. That’s the Ford promo listed in the form. It’s intended to compensate customers who don’t get the tax credit because they are buying previously titled demo vehicle. Ford can pay you directly or dealer can take it off purchase price and get reimbursed by Ford.

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
It could be shady, or it could be incompetence. There also might be some misunderstanding.

I'm a CPA, and have claimed enough rebates to know how the tax credit works, but even I am confused on why Ford would be crediting this back (as I'd think it's the dealer who can claim the tax credit if they were the titled owner).

I'd be trying to figure it out with dealer in an amicable way as you signed a full MSRP sales agreement already, and if the car had been titled already, that's on you for not understanding that you can't claim the tax credit. If the dealer knew what they were doing and was being shady, you gave yourself the opportunity to pay $7,500 ADM essentially.

Again though, I think this can probably worked through. Alleging fraud during step 1 won't help your case though. Seems to me they should just check option B instead.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
There is $7500 from Ford. That’s the Ford promo listed in the form. It’s intended to compensate customers who don’t get the tax credit because they are buying previously titled demo vehicle. Ford can pay you directly or dealer can take it off purchase price and get reimbursed by Ford.
So again, do you qualify for the tax credit?

If so, the dealer/Ford wouldn’t have anything to do with the 7500.

If you don’t, Ford owes you $7500.

OP
OP

Machemich83

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Premium
Occupation
Lawyer
Country flag
It could be shady, or it could be incompetence. There also might be some misunderstanding.

I'm a CPA, and have claimed enough rebates to know how the tax credit works, but even I am confused on why Ford would be crediting this back (as I'd think it's the dealer who can claim the tax credit if they were the titled owner).

I'd be trying to figure it out with dealer in an amicable way as you signed a full MSRP sales agreement already, and if the car had been titled already, that's on you for not understanding that you can't claim the tax credit. If the dealer knew what they were doing and was being shady, you gave yourself the opportunity to pay $7,500 ADM essentially.

Again though, I think this can probably worked through. Alleging fraud during step 1 won't help your case though. Seems to me they should just check option B instead.
i knew I couldn’t get tax credit on previously titled vehicle when I bought. I didn’t expect them to try to get me to assign 7500 Ford promo to them for a discount I wasn’t given at time of sale.

jjhenry

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT, '69 Chevy C20, '99 Rodeo, '09 Vespa
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I see. In that case you deserve the incentive since you'll miss out on the tax credit.

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Then don't sign the paperwork if that's your only issue. My issue would have been why I didn't get $7,500 chopped off on the front end. I would tell them they can pick from the following: 1) check option B (and they can have a happy customer), 2) they can pay you $7,500 in cash and you'll sign it as is, or 3) you'll refuse to sign it and they don't get anything, plus you'll leave some glowing reviews on google / yelp / etc. In all of these scenarios, it would seem they get nothing unless they commit fraud and sign as you.
Sponsored