Brake Grinding Noise

My GT E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
I have had my GT since mid-Oct. I have about 3200 miles on it. I am hearing a noise from the rear of the car that sounds just like brakes grinding. I ONLY hear this noise during the last 2-4' of a complete stop. I NEVER hear it if I'm just braking for various reasons on the road. The noise never occurs if I use the 1-pedal mode either. I cannot believe that anything is actually worn out, due to mileage, etc, but am curious to know if anyone else has experienced this strange noise. I have not asked the dealer to check it out yet. I searched this forum but really haven't found anything that explains it. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
What do the brakes look like? Mine look awful. I need to get it in for service.

OP
OP
My GT E

My GT E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
What do the brakes look like? Mine look awful. I need to get it in for service.
Haven't seen them but with only 3200 mostly highway miles, they better look brand new

OP
OP
My GT E

My GT E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
I've never owned a car that has generated so much brake dust as the MME.
Interesting... I don't have hardly any brake dust, front or back. We have a Porsche Macan in the stable and that is covered with brake dust all the time!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I have had my GT since mid-Oct. I have about 3200 miles on it. I am hearing a noise from the rear of the car that sounds just like brakes grinding. I ONLY hear this noise during the last 2-4' of a complete stop. I NEVER hear it if I'm just braking for various reasons on the road. The noise never occurs if I use the 1-pedal mode either. I cannot believe that anything is actually worn out, due to mileage, etc, but am curious to know if anyone else has experienced this strange noise. I have not asked the dealer to check it out yet. I searched this forum but really haven't found anything that explains it. Any ideas?
Mine does the same thing. I think it's just because the friction brakes get very little use, and really only at low speeds. So the rotors collect dust and other foreign matter between uses. If you notice rust on them, make a point of doing some hard braking to clean them off.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Try what @generaltso said. A couple hard braking events to polish the rotors clean and see if the grinding goes away. These rotors get used so little that you almost have to make a point to clean and polish them with the brake pads every couple weeks.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I did a solid bed in on my brakes...don't matter...they are just noisy. Same grinding noise slow and reverse.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Interesting... I don't have hardly any brake dust, front or back. We have a Porsche Macan in the stable and that is covered with brake dust all the time!
I have one-pedal driving on all the time, which is what makes it even more baffling.

My car is an early build, and I have a service appointment for the brakes (material stuck to rotors) anyway, so it may be the quality of the brake pads on the early build cars that causes this.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi there! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your Mach-E. Could you please send a us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you with this concern on my end.

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
I've noticed the same thing on my MME AWD ER. I typically drive with 1PD, but if braking at slow speeds (i.e. during parallel parking) i hear a loud screeching sound. I mentioned it to the dealer during a visit sometime back and they said it was normal. Oh well

OP
OP
My GT E

My GT E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
Hi there! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your Mach-E. Could you please send a us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you with this concern on my end.
Just sent you a private conversation with the details. Thanks!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Has anyone tried shifting into Neutral before braking to see if it disables regen? I know some other EV brands disable regen in Neutral, which can be used to clean the brakes when needed. But it's kinda hard to tell with the MME since non-GT models don't have a power/regen meter.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Has anyone tried shifting into Neutral before braking to see if it disables regen? I know some other EV brands disable regen in Neutral, which can be used to clean the brakes when needed. But it's kinda hard to tell with the MME since non-GT models don't have a power/regen meter.

All you have to do is a hard brake....but trust me...it won't make a difference. I straight up ROASTED my pads doing bed in. Rotors are super clean and shiny....and they still are noisy.
Sponsored