Brake lights and one pedal driving.

lindseybp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White GT
Country flag
Tried to find this in the owners manual and searching the forum and not finding anything so posting on here. I always use one pedal driving. Does anyone know at what point brake lights come on when using one pedal to slow down? i.e. if I'm going 65mph and let of the accelerator and the car starts to slow with one pedal do brake lights come on? What about if I'm going slower, let's say under 25mpg would they come on when using one pedal to slow? Thanks!
Sponsored

Diego

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e AWD extended
Country flag
They always come on whenever you lift off the accelerator in 1PD. So in both scenarios, your brake lights are coming on.
Not true. Brake lights go on only if you lift off the accelerator significantly. If you let off lightly, they do not go on.

fallguy

First Name
fallguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender, 1968 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Federal
Country flag
My wife drove behind me yesterday and let me know how often I "brake". I thought feathering the accelerator would keep the brake lights off, but she said it was like I was constantly braking, even when I know for fact had my foot on the accelerator and not all of the way out.

Annoying, but I suppose understandable. I wish it didn't brake unless foot off the pedal. Look like that annoying driver who constantly brakes or uses two feet to drive. Almost makes me want to disable one pedal driving. But I like using it to slow down. Don't car about charging at all, but now that I've gotten used to it it's just better to me.

talisxero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E, 2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Shipping and Receiving Supervisor
Country flag
Through winter early morning driving, I was able to train my foot in how far I could release the accelerator without triggering the brake light. The trail lights are pretty bright, if you drive in low light, you can see their reflection in road signs you've passed. So, there is a small space between braking where there is no light.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I switched to two pedal. I hate being behind someone who brakes constantly, and I like knowing exactly when my brake lights are on. ;( I guess I feared rear ended accidents). I get plenty of regen as soon as I take my foot off the gas, so no big loss In ā€˜engageā€™. itā€™s a smooth easy roll into a parking spot or garage, and less effort, more like a normal car.

LNFitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Saddle Fitterā€¦and yes, have worked with Mustangs
Country flag
Wish list for Ford.... training light along with the already present brake use feedback. I agree with previous posts about seeing excessive use of brakes in drivers ahead of me. It's annoying and I don't want to be part of that problem. I use 1P always but assumed that letting up pressure gradually wouldn't trigger brake lights. Drat.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
I agree with these posts about brake lights coming as you are letting off, decelerating. I have been driving the Mach E for about three weeks now and have been using 1PD about half of the time. They could have designed it to where it does give the affect of "engine braking" , no brake lights on, then the brake lights on at the right time (at whatever speed that would be, be it 65mph or 25 mph). I am not a fan of the brake lights coming on right away. Could piss off some drivers behind me.

I read another thread where a guy uses the L gear with 1PD off and achieves that coasting feel and then use the brake pedal at your discretion; still get 100% regeneration.

I think I am going to try that.

When I used to ride my motorcycle I would use engine braking in combination with downshifting to slow down and the at the right moment apply the brake/lights.

That is the feeling I want to get.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Tesla uses an accelerometer to determine when to engage the brake lights; it's not as simple as brake lights turning on as soon as you lift off the accelerator or reduce pressure on it. So you can let up on pressure to the pedal to modulate speed slightly without causing the brake lights to constantly turn on and off.

I assume Ford is using a similar approach.

I actually find I'm able to modulate my speed much better with 1PD than coasting and using the brakes.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
Yeah I would think they would have something like that. I haven't tested it myself (at night) or someone following me at night to give me feedback. I haven't had any pissed off drivers yelling at me or honking though.

1PD feels very natural to me. And I've used the actual brake pedal too. Not a big deal.

Tesla uses an accelerometer to determine when to engage the brake lights; it's not as simple as brake lights turning on as soon as you lift off the accelerator or reduce pressure on it. So you can let up on pressure to the pedal to modulate speed slightly without causing the brake lights to constantly turn on and off.

I assume Ford is using a similar approach.

I actually find I'm able to modulate my speed much better with 1PD than coasting and using the brakes.

SalsabyJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
It would be helpful if there was an option to see the brake light function on the dashboard to help understand how it operates!

jpiazza67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium x
Country flag
I don't see what the break lights do exactly in 1P, never had someone tail me to check and tell me, but I do not worry that I'm some driver that might appear to be breaking all the time just because I'm using one pedal. Been driving 1P for 5 months straight, love it, it's smooth, easy... and nobody has passed me pissed off, beeped, or given me the one finger solute. I think the Ford engineers figured out how to implement it before one was even sold. Look at this blog...we all like to talk about everything related to the MME but nobody has started a thread to just complain about how 1P driving is dangerous because drivers are beeping and getting aggravated. It just doesn't seem to be an issue.
Sponsored