Brake Noise in Reverse

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
My son drove yesterday and he doesn’t use 1PD. When backing out of our driveway, I noticed the brakes making a muffled rubbing or grinding noise. Sounds like a pice of plastic dragging under the car against the pavement.

But this only occurs when using the brakes, in reverse. Not with 1PD. And I checked and didn’t see any obstructions.

What is causing this? Covered by warranty?
Sponsored

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
i know on my tesla the brakes never really got used that much given all the regen. it was very common for the brakes to make noise when in reverse. i always assumed this was due to crud on the rotors that doesn't get cleaned as would happen in an ICE car.

have not noticed this with the MME though.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How fast and how hard to hit brakes? Like squealing tires or more controlled?

Kmp14

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD Extended
Country flag
It's just normal brake sound that you don't hear with ICE because of the engine noise.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
How fast and how hard to hit brakes? Like squealing tires or more controlled?
If you are in neutral, it is all friction brakes and no regen, so it doesn't matter how hard or soft you hit them as long as you're slowing down.

RWG

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey guys, this issue keeps on coming up and yes we have noticed it too. When we back out of the garage, the brakes grind away, make unusual noise. When we drive down the street in 1 PD, or regular mode, no problem. However this vehicle is what I called a "hard stopper', i.e. when you come to a slow stop, right at the point of total stop, the vehicle kinda settles in, rocks back and forth a bit. Over the years, and dozens of cars, I have noticed this trait on many cars. Normally the premium vehicles did not display this type of stopping performance, but the Mach E does.

Just last week, I had the car at the dealer for routine service and rotate the tires. The service writer said, "Yup, I hear lots of comments about the brake noise on Mach E's". Therefore, in my opinion, it is a "real deal" with no clear answer, yet.

I do not endorse many of the opinions presented . .. . yet. i.e. we have no rotor dust, car was just washed and it still made the same noise.

So far, we don't consider this a major problem, however it is a phenomenon peculiar to the Mach E. ( and it was like this from day one) I suspect someday soon, someone will come up with the answer and maybe a solution.

JRSNoVa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT Performance Grabber Blue
Country flag
Just last week, I had the car at the dealer for routine service and rotate the tires. The service writer said, "Yup, I hear lots of comments about the brake noise on Mach E's". Therefore, in my opinion, it is a "real deal" with no clear answer, yet.
Mine had a low creak in the front brakes, mostly when releasing them while on an incline, since I got it. Lower in tone than the kind of squeak you get from dirty mechanical brakes.

I asked my dealer to look last week and they were able to replicate the creak but said everything was in spec. They printed out a note from their system showing that Ford considers it an "acceptable condition." The service guy said they consider it a comfort, not a safety issue.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s a heavy freaking vehicle for its form factor. I’m guessing brake calibration isn’t so easy.

After following the cleaning method proposed above, the sound is a little quieter, but definitely still there. It sound like something made of plastic is dragging under the car against the pavement.

I don’t buy that this is normal noise and there just isn’t an engine noise to mask it. It’s abnormal, but perhaps normal for this car. Not an issue when using 1PD so I guess not a huge deal, but I would like my brakes to work when I need them.
Sponsored