Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Because the MME doesn’t follow the normal rules for getting into and out of brake service mode, here is a plain language version adapted from the tech manual.
First, a couple caveats. You will not be able to enter or exit Brake Service mode if you have any fault codes pertaining to the brakes. These must be cleared with a diagnostic computer first. If you don’t have one, and you have faults, you‘re SOL. Bleeding the brakes also requires a diagnostic computer, so really don’t open the brake line. Caliper pistons can be compressed without needing a brake winding tool. The procedure calls for the ignition to be in the “on” position. I still don’t know if that means “on” as in accessory mode, or on as in “Ready to drive” mode. The tech I spoke with said either would work. But here’s the simple Version:

To enter Brake Service Mode:
1. Car turned “on” and in park.
2. Hold the accelorator down. Do not release until told to.
3. Hold the parking brake switch DOWN. Do not release until told to.
4. Turn the car off.
5. Turn the car “on” within 5 seconds.
6. Release the accelerator pedal and parking brake switch.
7. Get out of car.
8. Slap the side of the car while saying aloud, “Well I’ll be, that guy on the interweb was right.”
9. Enjoy your brake work.

To cancel/escape/leave/or otherwise deactivate Brake Service Mode
1. Car turned “on” and in park.
2. Hold the accelerator down. Do not release until told to.
3. Hold the parking brake switch UP. Do not release until told to.
4. Press the brake pedal down for at least 1 second.
5. Release the brake pedal (continue holding the accelerator and parking brake switch)
6. Turn the car off,
7. Turn the car back “on” within 5 seconds.
8. Release the accelerator and parking brake switch.
9. Get out of car.
10. Clean the greasy finger splotches off the start/stop switch and the parking brake switch. You really should have cleaned your hands before deactivating brake service mode.
Sponsored

Last edited:

revmatchtv

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Is there any way you can post the pages pertaining to bleeding the brakes? I'm wondering if it's possible to bleed the brakes without a diagnostic computer?

I want to flush my brake fluid and use high performance track fluid. Do you know if any independent dealer would have the appropriate diagnosticcomputer?

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Is there any way you can post the pages pertaining to bleeding the brakes? I'm wondering if it's possible to bleed the brakes without a diagnostic computer?

I want to flush my brake fluid and use high performance track fluid. Do you know if any independent dealer would have the appropriate diagnosticcomputer?
I could but all it says is “plug in to FDRS and follow the prompts.” There isn’t any other instruction on the page.

KidGalahad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Select
Country flag
Did a search for brake bleeding and came up with this thread, wanted to give my experience real quick.
For starters, I know nothing about brakes, this was all done by a local shop. i had my calipers powder coated, and they decided to bleed the brakes. They didnt have the proper electronic/computer tools, and it started throwing all sorts of warnings upon start. Brake warning, hill start assist warning, pre-collision assist not available, plus about 4 others. Basically, the car is drivable, but only 2 brakes are working, and none of the driver assist functions work, such as one pedal mode, drive mode, cruise control, etc. They called a local Ford place, and are taking it there on Monday.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on terminology and such, but hopefully the basic story makes sense.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Did a search for brake bleeding and came up with this thread, wanted to give my experience real quick.
For starters, I know nothing about brakes, this was all done by a local shop. i had my calipers powder coated, and they decided to bleed the brakes. They didnt have the proper electronic/computer tools, and it started throwing all sorts of warnings upon start. Brake warning, hill start assist warning, pre-collision assist not available, plus about 4 others. Basically, the car is drivable, but only 2 brakes are working, and none of the driver assist functions work, such as one pedal mode, drive mode, cruise control, etc. They called a local Ford place, and are taking it there on Monday.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on terminology and such, but hopefully the basic story makes sense.
Makes total sense. Because the shop shouldn’t have opened the brake lines without knowing what they were doing. Be careful. Your brakes are all but non-functional. Them even letting you drive away that way makes them liable.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
Bumping this thread - I am working up the nerve to do a suspension swap on my MME. Many videos (of other cars) show people removing the caliper, rotors for improved accessibility. If there's no way around it, simply removing the calipers shouldn't require bleeding right? Ie just get into service mode before removing them and exit after bolting them back on?

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Bumping this thread - I am working up the nerve to do a suspension swap on my MME. Many videos (of other cars) show people removing the caliper, rotors for improved accessibility. If there's no way around it, simply removing the calipers shouldn't require bleeding right? Ie just get into service mode before removing them and exit after bolting them back on?
Correct. You can remove the calipers. Just don’t go very far with them. As long as you don’t open the brake fluid circuit there is no need to bleed.
Sponsored