121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
Bought my MME back at the end of spring last year. I've got about 17900 miles on it and love the car. Unfortunately this is the third time I'm having to take the car to the dealership because the brakes are acting up.

First time was at 6-7k miles where they just grinded the pads down and evened them out, second at 13-14k miles where they replaced the brakes under the notice, and now a third time.

I'm losing my mind every time I brake above 30mph the steering wheel shakes like crazy and I can feel the car not slowing down correctly.

I'm at a point where I'm just tired of dealing with this with 3 trips in less than a year to the dealership, and to make matters worst they don't have loaner vehicles so I have to figure out how to get to work because my cars in the shop.

Anyone got some advice for this one?
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm losing my mind every time I brake above 30mph the steering wheel shakes like crazy and I can feel the car not slowing down correctly.
Unless you're braking aggressively, the friction brakes shouldn't even be engaging at 30mph. Something definitely sounds like it's not working right. Do you have an OBDII adapter that you can use to see if you're really getting regen when you hit the brake pedal?

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
If it was a non-regen vehicle, I'd suspect calipers hanging up.
Had that problem with a stored vehicle recently. Calipers not kicking on due to regen might exacerbate that, but should have been a no-brainer 1st x car was looked at. That's all I got.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Bought my MME back at the end of spring last year. I've got about 17900 miles on it and love the car. Unfortunately this is the third time I'm having to take the car to the dealership because the brakes are acting up.

First time was at 6-7k miles where they just grinded the pads down and evened them out, second at 13-14k miles where they replaced the brakes under the notice, and now a third time.

I'm at a point where I'm just tired of dealing with this with 3 trips in less than a year to the dealership, and to make matters worst they don't have loaner vehicles so I have to figure out how to get to work because my cars in the shop.

Anyone got some advice for this one?
I've had a similar issue. Had the front pads replaced and rotors resurfaced under the TSB. A month or so later, I took it in for steering wheel shimmy/shake when braking, which was worse when braking around 45 - 55 mph. The tech reported that the front rotors were warped and resurfaced them, even though this was supposedly done just a month earlier. I use 1PD all the time and only had the shake when I used the physical brake pedal.

Now, I have a minor but quite noticeable steering wheel shake again when I use the brake pedal. This is really weird. I will have the dealer look at it again next time I take it in (which will be soon, since I don't get OTAs).

I get no shake when I use 1PD, so I don't know how this could have anything to do with regen??

OP
OP
121gigawatts

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
Unless you're braking aggressively, the friction brakes shouldn't even be engaging at 30mph. Something definitely sounds like it's not working right. Do you have an OBDII adapter that you can use to see if you're really getting regen when you hit the brake pedal?
It's definitely more noticable over 35mph. I get the brake coach saying the % of energy regened.

I've had a similar issue. Had the front pads replaced and rotors resurfaced under the TSB. A month or so later, I took it in for steering wheel shimmy/shake when braking, which was worse when braking around 45 - 55 mph. The tech reported that the front rotors were warped and resurfaced them, even though this was supposedly done just a month earlier. I use 1PD all the time and only had the shake when I used the physical brake pedal.

Now, I have a minor but quite noticeable steering wheel shake again when I use the brake pedal. This is really weird. I will have the dealer look at it again next time I take it in (which will be soon, since I don't get OTAs).

I get no shake when I use 1PD, so I don't know how this could have anything to do with regen??
I also had the TSB where they replaced them the second time and only the first time they resurfaced. I'm not sure what's causing this to come up over and over. It's not like I'm letting the car sit and not use it for months on end.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
It's definitely more noticable over 35mph. I get the brake coach saying the % of energy regened.

I also had the TSB where they replaced them the second time and only the first time they resurfaced. I'm not sure what's causing this to come up over and over. It's not like I'm letting the car sit and not use it for months on end.
Well, per the TSB, they're supposed to do them at the same time. If they only resurfaced the rotors, the pads could damage them again. If they then only replaced the pads the second time, the rotor could damage the pads again. They need to resurface and replace the pads in one go.

To make sure it really is the friction brakes, try switching to Neutral and then braking. That forces the car to only use the friction brakes and no blended braking. If you're experiencing this issue when you do that, it would be the pads and/or rotors. If that is the case, make sure you have your dealer do BOTH action items - resurface the rotors (at this point, you might want to push for them to replace as you can't constantly resurface) and replace the pads.

OP
OP
121gigawatts

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
Well, per the TSB, they're supposed to do them at the same time. If they only resurfaced the rotors, the pads could damage them again. If they then only replaced the pads the second time, the rotor could damage the pads again. They need to resurface and replace the pads in one go.

To make sure it really is the friction brakes, try switching to Neutral and then braking. That forces the car to only use the friction brakes and no blended braking. If you're experiencing this issue when you do that, it would be the pads and/or rotors. If that is the case, make sure you have your dealer do BOTH action items - resurface the rotors (at this point, you might want to push for them to replace as you can't constantly resurface) and replace the pads.
Dealership told me they did both last time under the TSB. I'll give the neutral thing a try and report back.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I think you need the powertrain software updates done and a proper brake job.

Wiping the brakes by stopping in neutral after driving through wet may also help. Parking with wet brakes will make the pads stick to the rotors leaving deposits that cause vibration.

OP
OP
121gigawatts

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
I think you need the powertrain software updates done and a proper brake job.

Wiping the brakes by stopping in neutral after driving through wet may also help. Parking with wet brakes will make the pads stick to the rotors leaving deposits that cause vibration.
I wasnt aware of a power train update.

I gave the neutral a try. HUGE shaking. I mean the whole car trembles when i break in neutral above 35mph. Once I get below 35 it's more like a sluggish breaking it's hard to explain
Sponsored