Braking to a full stop is strange

iaming

First Name
Br
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SEL
Is it just me or everyone is facing the same issue?

Have to be very careful to stop smoothly, otherwise it is like a sudden stop at the very end.
Sponsored

Jimbo

First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium 4X
Country flag
Wish it wasn't like this, but agreed that you can stop smoothly with a bit more work than a normal car

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag

Have to be very careful to stop smoothly, otherwise it is like a sudden stop at the very end.
You are likely describing the moment friction brakes take over from regen braking with the way the brake pedal is blended to put more of your kinetic energy back into your battery. Play around with drive modes for different blends and check out one pedal driving. You may never go back.

smhenn

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
There is also a software update for the brakes that makes them smoother. Might be something to ask the dealer if you didn't get it OTA.

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
There is also a software update for the brakes that makes them smoother. Might be something to ask the dealer if you didn't get it OTA.
Personally I found the braking to get slightly harsher after that update.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

Yeah, Fordā€™s blended braking system isnā€™t the greatest. Theyā€™ve been tweaking the calibration, but the transition to friction brakes is still obvious to me. Iā€˜m not sure why since so many other brands have been able to make the transition imperceptible.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Yeah, Fordā€™s blended braking system isnā€™t the greatest. Theyā€™ve been tweaking the calibration, but the transition to friction brakes is still obvious to me. Iā€˜m not sure why since so many other brands have been able to make the transition imperceptible.
The transition on my Toyota Sienna is pretty bad. Sometimes when coming to a stop, the transition happens and it feels like the van speeds up all of a sudden, I guess because I'm not applying enough physical pressure on the brake pedal. I use 1PD on the MME all the time which makes regular braking odd.

OP
OP

iaming

First Name
Br
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SEL
You are likely describing the moment friction brakes take over from regen braking with the way the brake pedal is blended to put more of your kinetic energy back into your battery. Play around with drive modes for different blends and check out one pedal driving. You may never go back.
I have a
I think it was fixed in firmware update. But I don't really notice as I'm driving with 1PD and usually come to stop without using breaks.
I have an ice car I need to drive once in a while, so I don't want to get confused with 1PD.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I just donā€™t get the issues. I guess since Iā€™ve spent most of my life going back & forth between various different vehicles, the changes in operating mode seems natural. Going from machinery with hydrostatic control, to a grain truck with 4+2 and no power steering, to an antique with 3 on the tree and no power anything, to an ICE with automatic everything, to 1PD in the MMEā€¦ā€¦you just drive itā€¦..

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
I have a

I have an ice car I need to drive once in a while, so I don't want to get confused with 1PD.
I go back and forth and donā€™t have an issue. The EV in One Pedal Mode is my usual drive. Donā€™t know if it would be more difficult if an ICE was my regular drive. I agree that it takes a bit of practice to be able to stop smoothly. Kind of like learning to use a clutch, only quicker learning curve.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The transition on my Toyota Sienna is pretty bad. Sometimes when coming to a stop, the transition happens and it feels like the van speeds up all of a sudden, I guess because I'm not applying enough physical pressure on the brake pedal. I use 1PD on the MME all the time which makes regular braking odd.
That's surprising. The brake transition in my wife's RAV4 Prime is completely imperceptible. I've tried to tell when it switches over to friction brakes, but I just can't. In the MME, if I look for it, I can tell every time.
Sponsored