Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Britain’s first electric-only service station opens Monday
Rachel Morrison
Bloomberg

View Comments
The first all-electric auto service station will open in Britain on Monday as drivers increasingly avoid cars fueled by gasoline and diesel.
It’s another sign the energy and transport industries are gearing up to deal with as many as 30 million electric vehicles on the road by 2040. Prime Minister Boris Johnson plans to phase out traditional engines in cars from 2030 and set the most aggressive target in the Group of 20 nations for slashing greenhouse-gas emissions.
The station in Essex, southeast England, is the first of 100 electric facilities that Gridserve and Hitachi Capital U.K. Plc. are planning and is part of a 1 billion-pound ($1.35 billion) program to roll out the stations across the country. It includes 36 rapid chargers powered only by renewable energy. The charging technology is among the fastest commercially available in Britain and can top up a battery with 200 miles (322 kilometers) of capacity in 20 minutes.
Gridserve has updated “the traditional petrol station model for a net-zero carbon world and is delivering the confidence people need to make the switch to electric transport today – a full decade ahead of the 2030 ban,” said Toddington Harper, its founder and chief executive officer.
maxresdefault.jpg

Gridserve created this rendering to show the design of its new all-electric service station in Britain. (By Gridserve)
Sales of battery-powered electric vehicles in the U.K. rose 122% last month from a year ago, while hybrids were up 77%, according to industry data published on Friday.
Most of the world’s EV charging infrastructure has been built in China and Europe. North America, with far less robust public subsidy and support, remains a distant third in the charging race, though some hope that a pandemic stimulus plan will catalyze a new wave of construction.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
The first all-electric auto service station will open in Britain on Monday as drivers increasingly avoid cars fueled by gasoline and diesel.
Can someone explain, what makes it "first ever". Didn't they they have any L3 charging stations before now?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
I assume that very quick charging is not good for your battery!

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Can someone explain, what makes it "first ever". Didn't they they have any L3 charging stations before now?
I dont think so. I am only aware of Level 1 and Level 2 DC charging so far. I believe Level 3 would be in excess of 400 kW if that ever becomes available.

Is that station actually L3?

https://insideevs.com/news/388076/no-level-3-ev-charger/
Ok fine, let me rephrase that. Can someone explain, what makes it "first ever". Didn't they they have any DC charging stations before now?

themagicrobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang V8, Bond Equipe, Opel Monza, NSU Quickly, BSA Bantam
Country flag
I think the clue is right there in the title: "Britain's first electric-only service station".......no petrol or diesel sold there.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I think the clue is right there in the title: "Britain's first electric-only service station".......no petrol or diesel sold there.
So, how many other DC charging station sell gasoline or diesel?

themagicrobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang V8, Bond Equipe, Opel Monza, NSU Quickly, BSA Bantam
Country flag
????????? Every service station I've been to in this country (at least on motorways) sell liquid you pour into your tank and have their electric chargers too.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
????????? Every service station I've been to in this country (at least on motorways) sell liquid you pour into your tank and have their electric chargers too.
The way I read this it is that there's a difference being proposed between "a place that has some chargers as a side thing" and "a place that is completely dedicated to electric charging that also has the amenities of a modern fuel station like restrooms, a convenience store, maybe made-to-order fast food, etc."

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Jaguar XK, Peugeot Bipper Tepee
Occupation
Semi retired management consultant
Country flag
I believe the difference is that you are calling it a charging station and they are describing it a ’service’ station in that it has restrooms, stores, dining and gym facilities not associated with other fuel sales or stores.
The Uk does have rapid charging stations such as ionity however they do not typically provide other driver facilities unless they were already present.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I believe the difference is that you are calling it a charging station and they are describing it a ’service’ station in that it has restrooms, stores, dining and gym facilities not associated with other fuel sales or stores.
The Uk does have rapid charging stations such as ionity however they do not typically provide other driver facilities unless they were already present.
So my local supermarket that has a pair of Blink CHAdeMO qualifes as electric only service station? It has bathrooms, pharmacy, take-out and all thos other things. No gym or post office, but it has a bank, and you can buy stamps.

I'm calling marketing shenanigans on this.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
So my local supermarket that has a pair of Blink CHAdeMO qualifes as electric only service station? It has bathrooms, pharmacy, take-out and all thos other things. No gym or post office, but it has a bank, and you can buy stamps.

No, you're conflating two different things. A dedicated supermarket with some chargers in the parking lot is fundamentally different than a DCFC station designed around the EV driver experience.

Tesla's Kettleman City Supercharger station is a prime examples of this difference versus a run of the mill Supercharger.

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Jaguar XK, Peugeot Bipper Tepee
Occupation
Semi retired management consultant
Country flag

We are talking about who makes the investment and takes the risk. This is primarily a large dedicated BEV charging station with significant solar/battery installation. The other facilities are to make charging attractive and to increase revenue. I doubt your local supermarket/bank and Blink have a significant commercial arrangement. It also only has two CHAdeMO chargers so not universally helpful.
This development has I believe taken significant investment and for me is something that hopefully moves forward the easy adoption of EV’s particularly for those without home charging ability. I believe
they deserve credit for the initiative. I also expect them to try an get as much marketing capital out of it as they can In order to get funding for the future investment.

Last edited:

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
No, you're conflating two different things. A dedicated supermarket with some chargers in the parking lot is fundamentally different than a DCFC station designed around the EV driver experience.
They were built at the same time. Who's to say which is dedicated and which isn't? Basically it's a difference of scale. Otherwise the "first ever" is just marketing BS.
Sponsored