Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
They were built at the same time. Who's to say which is dedicated and which isn't? Basically it's a difference of scale. Otherwise the "first ever" is just marketing BS.
Have you read the article? Have you watched the video? The intent of this installation was as a charging station. They produce their own energy from PV panels over the charging bays plus a large-scale PV installation on a nearby farm. They have a large-scale battery storage system for the power they produce. That's a hell of a lot of electricity to run an espresso machine.

So are you being serious or are you just being an intentional pain in our backsides?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Can someone explain, what makes it "first ever". Didn't they they have any L3 charging stations before now?
Read the article, watch the video. Then ask questions.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
We are talking about who makes the investment and takes the risk. This is primarily a large dedicated BEV charging station with significant solar/battery installation. The other facilities are to make charging attractive and to increase revenue. I doubt your local supermarket/bank and Blink have a significant commercial arrangement. It also only has two CHAdeMO chargers so universally helpful.
This development has I believe taken significant investment and for me is something that hopefully moves forward the easy adoption of EV’s particularly for those without home charging ability. I believe
they deserve credit for the initiative. I also expect them to try an get as much marketing capital out of it as they can In order to get funding for the future investment.
The bank is inside the supermarket. If they could cram the chargers indoor, they would be there too. After all we routinely get temperatures that are only slightly lower than hell. I have absolutely no problem with what Gridserve is doing, just calling out Marketing BS.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Have you read the article? Have you watched the video? The intent of this installation was as a charging station. They produce their own energy from PV panels over the charging bays plus a large-scale PV installation on a nearby farm. They have a large-scale battery storage system for the power they produce. That's a hell of a lot of electricity to run an espresso machine.

So are you being serious or are you just being an intentional pain in our backsides?
Read and watched. And yes, I get the scale of the thing. Just calling out out the marketing hyperbole.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Read and watched. And yes, I get the scale of the thing. Just calling out out the marketing hyperbole.
I tell you what. If you think it's just marketing hyperbole please show us a comparable facility in the UK that existed before this one.

Comparable parameters:
Charges more than 20 vehicles at a time
Produces more than 10 GW power annually
Exceeds 5 MW onsite battery storage

BTW, this is the first of 100 planned sites.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I tell you what. If you think it's just marketing hyperbole please show us a comparable facility in the UK that existed before this one.

Comparable parameters:
Charges more than 20 vehicles at a time
Produces more than 10 GW power annually
Exceeds 5 MW onsite battery storage

BTW, this is the first of 100 planned sites.
I can't. The scale is undeniable. It's just that tying these elements isn't new. Just on a smaller scale.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I can't. The scale is undeniable. It's just that tying these elements isn't new. Just on a smaller scale.
That's like saying there's no difference between a 7-11 and a Walmart Super Center -- same stuff, it just scale. Guess what: scale matters.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
That's like saying there's no difference between a 7-11 and a Walmart Super Center -- same stuff, it just scale. Guess what: scale matters.
Didn't say that scale doesn't matter. And no one would argue that walmart is the first ever retailer. Or the first ever discount store. Or the first ever to sell different types of products.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Didn't say that scale doesn't matter. And no one would argue that walmart is the first ever retailer. Or the first ever discount store. Or the first ever to sell different types of products.
So just why do you think that the first establishment in the UK with 36 high-speed chargers, 10 GW of annual energy production, a 6 MW on-site battery and shopping to spend your time while you charge is nothing but "marketing hyperbole"?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
So just why do you think that the first establishment in the UK with 36 high-speed chargers, 10 GW of annual energy production, a 6 MW on-site battery and shopping to spend your time while you charge is nothing but "marketing hyperbole"?
Didn't say that either. I simply objected to the " first electric-only " description. I wish them luck and hope they succeed, even if it has zero impact on me.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Didn't say that either. I simply objected to the " first electric-only " description. I wish them luck and hope they succeed, even if it has zero impact on me.
You didn't say "marketing hyperbole"?

Let's see:
So my local supermarket that has a pair of Blink CHAdeMO qualifes as electric only service station? It has bathrooms, pharmacy, take-out and all thos other things. No gym or post office, but it has a bank, and you can buy stamps.

I'm calling marketing shenanigans on this.
They were built at the same time. Who's to say which is dedicated and which isn't? Basically it's a difference of scale. Otherwise the "first ever" is just marketing BS.
The bank is inside the supermarket. If they could cram the chargers indoor, they would be there too. After all we routinely get temperatures that are only slightly lower than hell. I have absolutely no problem with what Gridserve is doing, just calling out Marketing BS.
What did I miss?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
You didn't say "marketing hyperbole"?
Marketing hyperbole was in reference to the description of it being first. The actual station, I have no qualms about. They could have said biggest, and that would be fine.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Marketing hyperbole was in reference to the description of it being first. The actual station, I have no qualms about. They could have said biggest, and that would be fine.
So, you think they're not the first establishment in the UK with 36 high-speed chargers, 10 GW of annual energy production, a 6 MW on-site battery and shopping to spend your time? There's something else comparable in the UK?

I'm trying to understand why you think saying this is the first is hyperbole.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
So, you think they're not the first establishment in the UK with 36 high-speed chargers, 10 GW of annual energy production, a 6 MW on-site battery and shopping to spend your time? There's something else comparable in the UK?

I'm trying to understand why you think saying this is the first is hyperbole.
A while back you used 7-11 to Walmart comparison, a better comparison would have been Kmart and Walmart. Walmart was bigger (and a little bit cleaner), bat basically they were in the same business, and no one called Walmart first. as far as something of that size in UK, I would have to guess not. Awhile back I was reading something about a Tesla Supercharger location in UK with 18 chargers where rarely more 20% were occupied. I think that there are some Tesla sites in California with long wait lines during peak days.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
A while back you used 7-11 to Walmart comparison, a better comparison would have been Kmart and Walmart. Walmart was bigger (and a little bit cleaner), bat basically they were in the same business, and no one called Walmart first. as far as something of that size in UK, I would have to guess not. Awhile back I was reading something about a Tesla Supercharger location in UK with 18 chargers where rarely more 20% were occupied. I think that there are some Tesla sites in California with long wait lines during peak days.
I see, first you compared this installation to "my local supermarket that has a pair of Blink CHAdeMO", while this installation has an order of magnitude more chargers, at higher charging rate, makes and stores it's own electricity. You're the one claiming this is marketing shenanigans, hyperbole, and BS. However, when challenged you deflect the conversation and try to act like you didn't really say what you said. Problem is, it's all right here in this thread.

You've been here in this forum for a month. We pride ourselves on getting our facts straight. We also own up to mistakes when we make them. Honesty and trustworthiness go a long way here.
Sponsored