TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not that I am aware of. There is a standard for DCFC Level 3 but to my knowledge no manufacturer has produced a vehicle that can charge at that speed. Right now we just have DCFC in Level 1 and Level 2. Same for AC charging here in North America.

Not sure what they have for AC charging in Europe though.....?
So most DCFC is Level 1 & 2? Wow, that's entirely different than everything I've read for the last year.

I always read that L1 was 120V AC and L2 was 240V AC.

Huh.
Sponsored

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
that type of charging station is what I wish ford and other auto manufacturers would do.
Think of the income. You could own the charging, food the whole shop. Would be like the auto manufacturers owning the gas stations.
Buy the electric for a price sell it for a price. Could be a big market. Think of a person that owns 5 or 10 gas stations now. With ev finally taking off could of 5 to 10 charging station like that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
that type of charging station is what I wish ford and other auto manufacturers would do.
Think of the income. You could own the charging, food the whole shop. Would be like the auto manufacturers owning the gas stations.
Buy the electric for a price sell it for a price. Could be a big market. Think of a person that owns 5 or 10 gas stations now. With ev finally taking off could of 5 to 10 charging station like that.
I dunno. Seems like they won't come close to recovering their costs at those rates, given how expensive the facility looks and how slow the throughput is (revenues) for DCFC charging. As well as the fact that most people charge at home and rarely use retail DCFC.

But I guess we'll see. It's cool, no doubt. But self-supporting to cover all the costs?... seem dubious.

Maybe the hamburgers are $25?

Ionity charges $0.95/kWh USD, and those are just basic chargers in a lot without all that massive cost add-on.

OP
OP

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
So most DCFC is Level 1 & 2? Wow, that's entirely different than everything I've read for the last year.

I always read that L1 was 120V AC and L2 was 240V AC.

Huh.
SAE J1772
AC Level 1: 120V, 16A max. 1.92kW max
AC Level 2: 240V, 80A max. 19.2kW max
AC Level 3: Not defined, but >20kW

DC Level 1: 200-450V, 80A max. 19.2kW max residential, 36kW public
DC Level 2: 200-450V, 200A max. 90kW max
DC Level 3: Not defined, proposed to be 200-600V, 400A max, 240kW max

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
SAE J1772
AC Level 1: 120V, 16A max. 1.92kW max
AC Level 2: 240V, 80A max. 19.2kW max
AC Level 3: Not defined, but >20kW

DC Level 1: 200-450V, 80A max. 19.2kW max residential, 36kW public
DC Level 2: 200-450V, 200A max. 90kW max
DC Level 3: Not defined, proposed to be 200-600V, 400A max, 240kW max
That is pretty close to what I've seen as well. There is a video on Weber Auto YouTube that talks about it too. In there, Profession Kelly says that DC L1 is up to 48 kW and DC L2 is up to 400 kW.
Otherwise all his other number match what you posted above....
Perhaps his SAE standard info is older and it's been updated since?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes.

Also correct.
There is L1, L2 and L3 standards both for AC and also for DC.
So, 6 standards so far.
Guess I've had it wrong all along. Sounds like a common mistake too, since I'm seeing websites saying things like...

charging-levels.jpg

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Guess I've had it wrong all along. Sounds like a common mistake too, since I'm seeing websites saying things like...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Britain's first electric-only service station charging-levels
Yeah.....we all do it.
I still call my L1 and L2 home EVSE a "charger" sometimes when they really are just a power supply. For AC charging......the charger is in the car.

The DCFC stations are true 'chargers' though....

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Britain's first electric-only service station charging-levels
I'm with you. I've always heard 120v was L1, 240v was L2, and DCFC was L3. I guess not. I need to think of L1 and L2 AC vs DCFC.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
I don't think it would be profitable in most markets because there will be a lot fewer people coming through as most local people will charge at home. The future of EV charging will be at fast food type of places (starbucks, dunking donuts etc) where one can pull in charge and the restaurant will make money off the food and drink. Dedicated EV charging stations just won't have the throughput to justify the fixed expenses.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I don't think it would be profitable in most markets because there will be a lot fewer people coming through as most local people will charge at home. The future of EV charging will be at fast food type of places (starbucks, dunking donuts etc) where one can pull in charge and the restaurant will make money off the food and drink. Dedicated EV charging stations just won't have the throughput to justify the fixed expenses.
Yes, I was speaking more down the line. Sorry, should have been more clear. Maybe Ev makers could partner with restaurants where if you eat there you get a free charge or even a discounted rate then?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep. Those food outlets are gonna need a lot more business to survive than what they'll get from EV charging customers alone. It's still far fewer distinct customers per hour than a highway travel center selling gas.

The more they can leverage multiple draws so they can add up to more customers, the better. It's all about volume and throughput.