Buying a Demo now called a "Mannequin"

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
So got an interesting call today that might be helpful for people waiting on theirs and thinking about buying a demo. Was told today that Ford is now taking the entire $7500 off the top of the Demos because many are not eligible for the credit since they are buying "used". That combined with the New York state rebate and my $500 reserve gives me 10k off the top without a down payment of any kind. The dealership made it sound as though Ford is doing this with all of the Demos and even letting people buy them sooner than the 4k miles or 4 months originally. So this gives hope for anyone that is looking to start asking further about the Demos and maybe make a deal like I am. Come Monday I will be the proud owner of my very own MMe! Finally!!
Sponsored

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
That's great to hear, but is the dealer going to give you any other discount based on the fact that it's been used and abused? The $7,500 off the top is nice but you would get that with any Mach E if it were new, so it's almost expected. But what about another price cut since it'll have minimum a few hundred (rough) miles on it?

OP
OP
Astraea

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I'm also getting 2k from New York state and the biggest difference with getting the 7500 up front is getting to make smaller payments because less is being financed so I'm saving some extra in interest that I won't have to pay if I had gotten the credit later in my taxes. Also in the case of this demo, I have actually put on nearly half of the 2k miles is has on it and know mostly where it's been since my dealer has been keeping me in a tight loop on it from the very start. Plus now I don't have to wait another 3 or more months for mine to come in so that is like a personal discount to me. I know this situation will be different for everyone but it's great that Ford is doing the 7500 off the top on these demos, which is nice for someone that might not have qualified for the full amount anyway.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The ”mannequin” here in Memphis at Autonation is due to be up for sale in mid June. It had 1,000 miles on it when I brought it back from its weekend with me two weeks ago. I imagine it won’t have many more miles on it in a few weeks. So if anyone in Memphis is looking for a white Premium RWD with extended battery, give them a call. It was in great shape minus needing a cleaning. It was going to be my second choice if the one I’m buying today didn’t come through.

MarleysMME

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So got an interesting call today that might be helpful for people waiting on theirs and thinking about buying a demo. Was told today that Ford is now taking the entire $7500 off the top of the Demos because many are not eligible for the credit since they are buying "used". That combined with the New York state rebate and my $500 reserve gives me 10k off the top without a down payment of any kind. The dealership made it sound as though Ford is doing this with all of the Demos and even letting people buy them sooner than the 4k miles or 4 months originally. So this gives hope for anyone that is looking to start asking further about the Demos and maybe make a deal like I am. Come Monday I will be the proud owner of my very own MMe! Finally!!
I just got my demo over the weekend. I had not heard anything about a demo being sold as "used". All my paperwork indicates it is "new". Is this just a state tax thing? I live in TX so I will only be filing for the Fed tax credit.

OP
OP
Astraea

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I just got my demo over the weekend. I had not heard anything about a demo being sold as "used". All my paperwork indicates it is "new". Is this just a state tax thing? I live in TX so I will only be filing for the Fed tax credit.
Ford is giving the full federal tax credit off the top of the sale because the one I am buying will not be eligible for it later. I am also getting a NYS rebate at the time of sale as well.

ordel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Ford is giving the full federal tax credit off the top of the sale because the one I am buying will not be eligible for it later. I am also getting a NYS rebate at the time of sale as well.
This seems strange - either it is new (in which case you get the full federal tax credit next year) or used (in which case you do not get any credit at all - federal or state). To be even clearer, if it is used, you cannot get the NY credit (which only applies to new vehicles). You should clarify the situation with the dealer.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Hrm, I've talked to a few dealers about their demos and they all assured me that because it was never actually sold, it's still considered "new" and would qualify for the credit. I'm no accountant (nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but maybe you might be the benefactor of a dealer's ignorance on the matter and can claim the credit in 2022 in addition to what they took off the top.

daniel9478

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
According to the Ford dealer communication I've seen, titling courtesy transportation vehicles is supposed to be required in many states.. that doesn't mean that every dealer actually does it. The communication also goes on to say that if the dealer claims the $7500 from Ford for this program but hadn't titled it, they will be subject to chargeback of that amount.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yes, most demos are considered "new" since they usually haven't been registered. However, be aware that the vehicle warranty does start the day the car is put in service, regardless whether it was registered\licensed. So you will lose a few thousand miles and a few months off the warranty.

OP
OP
Astraea

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
According to the Ford dealer communication I've seen, titling courtesy transportation vehicles is supposed to be required in many states.. that doesn't mean that every dealer actually does it. The communication also goes on to say that if the dealer claims the $7500 from Ford for this program but hadn't titled it, they will be subject to chargeback of that amount.
I believe this is the case with the one I am buying. They put plates on it and had it registered. It was put into their loaner program so it didn't have dealer plates.

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
My dealer is clueless about the mannequin they have. They can't give me a time when it will even be up for sale.

OP
OP
Astraea

Astraea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMe Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Update time!! I have just taken home my MMe! I am told that I am the first person to purchase a mannequin in all of Ford(crazy!) and received an email from the regional Ford representative that because I pushed so hard for answers I actually helped influence the policy on the 7500 off the top of all mannequins! I know I couldn't have been the only one asking for answers about them but its cool that they told me I played a heavy hand in making that decision! So go me I guess? ? Anyway, I'm super excited to finally be part of the owners club and can't wait to start complaining about the little things that bug me. I'm looking forward to many many miles of fun! Thanks everyone for giving me a place to absorb so much information about this incredible car! It was fun being able to teach my dealership and salesman so much about it thanks to all of you!
Sponsored