Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I may have the opportunity to purchase a new GTPE from a dealership in another state. But I have some questions before I proceed:
  1. I assume I'll be charged sales tax in my home county rather than the city where the car is sold?
  2. Will the out-of-state dealership register the car for me in my state or will I have to do that myself? I assume they'll just give me temporary plates from their own state?
  3. If I finance through the Ford Options program, are the incentives calculated based on my home state or the state of the dealership? I know incentives and rebates vary across the country, but not sure which ZIP code determines what I get?
I've looked at this website to get an idea of current Ford Options rates, and they seem to vary widely across the country.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experience!
Sponsored

Bullitt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium SR AWD, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Country flag
I may have the opportunity to purchase a new GTPE from a dealership in another state. But I have some questions before I proceed:
  1. I assume I'll be charged sales tax in my home county rather than the city where the car is sold?
  2. Will the out-of-state dealership register the car for me in my state or will I have to do that myself? I assume they'll just give me temporary plates from their own state?
  3. If I finance through the Ford Options program, are the incentives calculated based on my home state or the state of the dealership? I know incentives and rebates vary across the country, but not sure which ZIP code determines what I get?
I've looked at this website to get an idea of current Ford Options rates, and they seem to vary widely across the country.

I'm planning to buy my Mach-E with Ford Options out of state but haven't done it yet. Based on my past experiences buying out of state and what I've read on here but Ford options, here's what I understand to be the case:

1. Yes, they charge sales tax for your county and then typically cut a check back to you to send in to your state with your registration.
2. In my experience, you have to go to a title place to register it in your state. They give you temp plates in the meantime.
3. Incentives I believe are based on your home address, so you'll get whatever you're eligible for in your state.

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I'm planning to buy my Mach-E with Ford Options out of state but haven't done it yet. Based on my past experiences buying out of state and what I've read on here but Ford options, here's what I understand to be the case:

1. Yes, they charge sales tax for your county and then typically cut a check back to you to send in to your state with your registration.
2. In my experience, you have to go to a title place to register it in your state. They give you temp plates in the meantime.
3. Incentives I believe are based on your home address, so you'll get whatever you're eligible for in your state.
Thanks! I just spoke with the Finance Manager at the out-of-state dealership, and he basically agreed with your take on my questions.
  1. He told me they will charge sales tax based on my county of residence, not the tax rate where the dealership is located.
  2. He said many Ford dealers use a titling service that arranges for the vehicle to be titled and registered in the buyer's state.
  3. He agreed that I should get the Ford incentives (e.g., Options Program rates, rebates) that apply according to my home address, not the location of the dealership.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I’ve e bought cars (including my first MME), ATV’s, and trailers out of state.

Each time the dealer charged me for a temporary tag but didn’t charge me sales tax. I paid sales tax when I registered At the DMV back home. Ford options wasn’t a problem.

babyplex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GTPE, 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag

1. Sales tax is paid either at the dealer or at your DMV. I bought my MME GTPE out of state and paid sales tax upfront, negating the need for sales tax when registering the vehicle at my DMV.

2. Dealer will slap a temp plate from the state you purchased the car from. Mine was valid for 2 months and cost me $20. Remember to get the title from the dealer as well so you can register your car in your state. My car's original title cost me $15.

3. The incentives are calculated by the state in which you reside in I think.
Sponsored