Buzzing/vibrating sounds in overhead lights/sunglasses holder area. How to remove?

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME FE & '23 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Does anyone know how to safely open up/remove the molded plastic around the overhead lights and sunglasses holder? I really need to figure out how to stop the constant buzzing coming from there when hitting bumps or driving over surfaces that cause vibration in the car. The dealer says nothing is wrong that they can address. If I push firmly on the outer edges of it, the buzzing stops, but I can't exactly drive around pushing on this all the time. Anyone know the correct way to take this cover off so I can get in there and address the buzzing without breaking it?

20220801_162637.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, at least I'm not the only one. I have taken to cutting strips of this weather stripping stuff (pictured below, originally bought for a different issue with the car) and feeding it into parts of lots of the molded plastic in the car where I hear buzzing and it helps to stop it temporarily, but this and the molded plastic on the windshield around the rear view mirror have been tough to stop for good. The arm rest creaking is also an annoyance and I've started getting buzzing around the water bottle holders too. This is becoming a very annoying car to drive due to all the buzzing and creaking. The worst is the one I originally posted about though.

20220801_164942.jpg

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I had this buzzing problem with my 2013 Fusion as well. I fixed it by selling the car 🤣. I'm also having this buzzing issue, but fortunately it only happens every so often for me, even with shitty Chicago roads.

jznd400

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT Grabber Blue
Country flag
I have a similar problem - but mine seems to emanate from around the driver's side sunvisor. When I push on the visor, it stops but I wonder if it's coming from behind the headliner since I can't see anything that could be buzzing in the visor itself.

It doesn't happen all the time either, so the dealer wasn't able to replicate it when they took it to test. Grrr..

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had this buzzing problem with my 2013 Fusion as well. I fixed it by selling the car 🤣. I'm also having this buzzing issue, but fortunately it only happens every so often for me, even with shitty Chicago roads.
Yup, the Chicago roads and the ones in Milwaukee are the worst. Driving along Irving Park Road in the city this afternoon is what prompted me to post this!

COACH CHRIS

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
Ugh. I've been contemplating posting something nearly identical to OP's - same noise, same location. Have heard it since Day 1, which was about a year ago. What's worse, it comes and goes, but is most common on sorta rough roads. Here in the Northeast, that's pretty much all of them.

I've been contemplating pulling that whole console apart and just stuff it with foam or something, but of course that'd probably be more destructive than helpful.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Same issue here, intermittent but very annoying when it happens. Happy to at least know I am not going crazy!

Wall-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I had this exact same issue with mine as well. I brought my car into the dealership a couple weeks ago for the recall and a panel gap issue and mentioned this noise to them. They came back to me and said it was caused by my garage door opener I had on my sun guard but to me that made no sense. But after I got my car back I have not noticed the sounds anymore so I am not sure if they did something or it just went away on its own. My garage door opener is still in the same position btw

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ugh. I've been contemplating posting something nearly identical to OP's - same noise, same location. Have heard it since Day 1, which was about a year ago. What's worse, it comes and goes, but is most common on sorta rough roads. Here in the Northeast, that's pretty much all of them.

I've been contemplating pulling that whole console apart and just stuff it with foam or something, but of course that'd probably be more destructive than helpful.
Yeah, I had honestly considered putting spray foam gap filler in there, but I think there might be microphones and other electrical that the gap filler might mess up. I think that the buzzing might actually be a loose wire the vibrates against something on certain road conditions that cause a lot of vibrations throughout the car, but I guess it could be anything. That weatherstripping cord that I showed above does really help, but not all the time.

COACH CHRIS

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
I had this exact same issue with mine as well. I brought my car into the dealership a couple weeks ago for the recall and a panel gap issue and mentioned this noise to them. They came back to me and said it was caused by my garage door opener I had on my sun guard but to me that made no sense. But after I got my car back I have not noticed the sounds anymore so I am not sure if they did something or it just went away on its own. My garage door opener is still in the same position btw
Oh the sound will return. It always returns.

OP
OP
bellyer

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Prove them wrong in the long term by programming your garage door opener into the buttons on your visor that are built in and remove the garage door opener from the equation altogether.

Wall-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Prove them wrong in the long term by programming your garage door opener into the buttons on your visor that are built in and remove the garage door opener from the equation altogether.
This is the route I plan on taking if the sounds starts appearing again. I've been too lazy to program these buttons because my garage opener is old and hard to deal with lol

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Select eAWD
Country flag
Today the buzzing sound from the overhead/sunglasses area was so annoying I was trying to fiddle with it while driving. I can't stand the buzzing sound - I need to know how to remove the sunglasses holder so I can find the source. I highly doubt my dealer would do anything about this.
Sponsored