MachEtyMach

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 eGolf, 2021 Mach-E CA Route 1
Country flag
I recently took my CA Route 1 on an overnight road trip from Los Angeles (South Bay) to Las Vegas. Overall, I was very pleased with both the performance and the range of the car.

I made planned stops in Hesperia CA on the way up and Baker CA on the way back, both at EA stations. I'm pretty confident I could make it the whole way on a single charge, starting at 100%, under similar driving conditions.

First image is an annotated elevation plot from Plugshare, showing the two significant (4000+ ft) passes along the way, and the 2000 ft elevation difference between LA and LV. Lots of mechanical work to lift a 4727 lb (2144 kg) car up those hills: about 1.8 kWh per 1000 vertical ft by my calculation. I'll try to quantify energy recovery through downhill regen braking later, but I'm guessing you get about 25% back.

Second image is the summary data for the trip, including my estimates of energy consumption and efficiency between charges, which compare pretty well with the car's efficiency numbers.

After enabling "Plug & Charge" on the FordPass app in Hesperia, charging went without a hitch, 100+ kW. EA charging also worked well on first attempt at the South LV Outlets location, initially 126 kW. Charging at Baker on way back, had to switch chargers. Initial one would not go above 20 kW or so, but second one worked fine.

Difference between GOM and distance to home got down to about 20 miles entering the LA basin, but coming down the hill helped a lot. Final GOM reading was 64 in my garage.

While I like Intelligent Cruise Control, which works well, I don't like lane-keeping. It chatters too much from side to side in the lane. It seems very "short-sighted" and heavy on "proportional" control based on next 50 ft ahead - not anticipating curves further down the road that I would when steering.

Finally, I did not see a single other Mach-E on the entire trip. I saw several Taycans, E-Trons, ID.4s at EA stations, but no Mach-Es. After taking delivery of the car in early June, I still have yet to see another one in the wild.

Other notes:
Tried to keep speed at or below 75 MPH ( I-15 speed limit 70 MPH in desert). Traffic was pretty light both ways (Tue-Wed trip).
Started both trips mid-morning and arrived mid-afternoon. Desert temps 100-105 F. A/C set to about 78 F, fan on "1" or "2"
Total odometer mileage includes 25 miles driving around LV

LA-LV-elev-210708.png

LA-LV_MME_data_210708.jpg

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thanks for the write-up. I also live in the South Bay and I scoped out a Las Vegas trip using ABRP. I have a standard range, however, so a bit more work for me. I don't see myself doing this in the summer, but sooner or later.

BTW, I've seen three other Mach-E's in the South Bay, including one a week ago that drove past our house, which is a small suburban street with not much traffic.

praxiscat

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
There is a setting for how it does lane keeping for the lane keep assist feature.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I recently took my CA Route 1 on an overnight road trip from Los Angeles (South Bay) to Las Vegas. Overall, I was very pleased with both the performance and the range of the car.

I made planned stops in Hesperia CA on the way up and Baker CA on the way back, both at EA stations. I'm pretty confident I could make it the whole way on a single charge, starting at 100%, under similar driving conditions.

First image is an annotated elevation plot from Plugshare, showing the two significant (4000+ ft) passes along the way, and the 2000 ft elevation difference between LA and LV. Lots of mechanical work to lift a 4727 lb (2144 kg) car up those hills: about 1.8 kWh per 1000 vertical ft by my calculation. I'll try to quantify energy recovery through downhill regen braking later, but I'm guessing you get about 25% back.

Second image is the summary data for the trip, including my estimates of energy consumption and efficiency between charges, which compare pretty well with the car's efficiency numbers.

After enabling "Plug & Charge" on the FordPass app in Hesperia, charging went without a hitch, 100+ kW. EA charging also worked well on first attempt at the South LV Outlets location, initially 126 kW. Charging at Baker on way back, had to switch chargers. Initial one would not go above 20 kW or so, but second one worked fine.

Difference between GOM and distance to home got down to about 20 miles entering the LA basin, but coming down the hill helped a lot. Final GOM reading was 64 in my garage.

While I like Intelligent Cruise Control, which works well, I don't like lane-keeping. It chatters too much from side to side in the lane. It seems very "short-sighted" and heavy on "proportional" control based on next 50 ft ahead - not anticipating curves further down the road that I would when steering.

Finally, I did not see a single other Mach-E on the entire trip. I saw several Taycans, E-Trons, ID.4s at EA stations, but no Mach-Es. After taking delivery of the car in early June, I still have yet to see another one in the wild.

Other notes:
Tried to keep speed at or below 75 MPH ( I-15 speed limit 70 MPH in desert). Traffic was pretty light both ways (Tue-Wed trip).
Started both trips mid-morning and arrived mid-afternoon. Desert temps 100-105 F. A/C set to about 78 F, fan on "1" or "2"
Total odometer mileage includes 25 miles driving around LV

Ford Mustang Mach-E CA Route 1 Road Trip - LA to Las Vegas - Range Data and Charging Experience LA-LV_MME_data_210708

Ford Mustang Mach-E CA Route 1 Road Trip - LA to Las Vegas - Range Data and Charging Experience LA-LV_MME_data_210708
I used all 3 of those chargers over the past couple of weeks during my road trip from Denver to LA & San Diego. I actually saw my first Mach-E charging at the Baker station and it was another Grabber Blue First Edition. Overall, I was impressed with the car's efficiency and that the charging worked flawlessly even with temps around 119.

OP
OP
MachEtyMach

MachEtyMach

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 eGolf, 2021 Mach-E CA Route 1
Country flag
There is a setting for how it does lane keeping for the lane keep assist feature.
Thanks. After reviewing that section of the manual, I now see that I was probably mistakenly expecting the lane keeping to act more like auto-steering, which it is not. It's more of a 'safety net' for tired/distracted drivers who are still actively steering.

On a brighter note, I did finally see my first MME in the wild on my run this morning. Another carbonized gray Select or Premium (couldn't tell, but shiny wheels).

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Thanks. After reviewing that section of the manual, I now see that I was probably mistakenly expecting the lane keeping to act more like auto-steering, which it is not. It's more of a 'safety net' for tired/distracted drivers who are still actively steering.

On a brighter note, I did finally see my first MME in the wild on my run this morning. Another carbonized gray Select or Premium (couldn't tell, but shiny wheels).
Yes and no, I was able to have it self drive the car that I rented all the way down the highway every time I was driving it without issues. During turns it didn't bounce off the lines or anything like that. I think the issue you're facing is that there are settings on how aggressive it is. If you set it down to low it's much better. With it on the higher settings it definitely ping pongs back and forth while it really tries to over correct. Give it a shot and see what you think.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
It was good to meet you. A little too hot to stand around and socialize though lol
No kidding! @Liv and I were melting every time we stepped out of the car.

And good to meet you and Captain!

Liv

First Name
Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag
It was good to meet you. A little too hot to stand around and socialize though lol
Hey Rob! It was so great to meet you! Got such a kick out of pulling in there and seeing our first Mach-E charging AND it was Grabber Blue! Hope you had a good rest of your trip!

AndyR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E X
Country flag

If you have on the adaptive cruise, it does work more as auto steering instead of just lane keeping.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Yes and no, I was able to have it self drive the car that I rented all the way down the highway every time I was driving it without issues. During turns it didn't bounce off the lines or anything like that. I think the issue you're facing is that there are settings on how aggressive it is. If you set it down to low it's much better. With it on the higher settings it definitely ping pongs back and forth while it really tries to over correct. Give it a shot and see what you think.
Can you show a pic or video where this setting is? I picked up my Mach E last Saturday but have not driven it much. Getting xpel & ceramic. There’s a lot of nuances to learn with this car!!
Sponsored