CA Rt 1 Vs. Premium - Range Difference

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
The CA Rt 1 AWD is rated for 312 miles of range. The Premium AWD is rated for 277 miles of range. They both have the same size battery, same motors, same 0-60.

How does the Rt. 1 get 35 miles more range? Does the B&O sound system, projector headlamps, and power liftgate in the premium really require that much power??

Kidding, more likely the wheel/tire difference, I presume?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
And lighter.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You're comparing an AWD with a RWD. The motors are permanent magnet motors so that when cruising the AWD can't just let the front wheels spin freely. The better comparison is the premium RWD, which is much closer in range - which is where the 18" aero wheels make a small difference.

OP
OP

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
You're comparing an AWD with a RWD. The motors are permanent magnet motors so that when cruising the AWD can't just let the front wheels spin freely. The better comparison is the premium RWD, which is much closer in range - which is where the 18" aero wheels make a small difference.
Nope. Both AWD.

CA Rt 1
314 miles (RWD)
312 miles (eAWD)

Premium
303 miles (RWD)
277 miles (eAWD)

Also surprising that the Rt 1 only loses 2 miles when you go from RWD to AWD, but the Premium loses 26.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Nope. Both AWD.

CA Rt 1
314 miles (RWD)
312 miles (eAWD)

Premium
303 miles (RWD)
277 miles (eAWD)

Also surprising that the Rt 1 only loses 2 miles when you go from RWD to AWD, but the Premium loses 26.
That AWD RT1 rating is bogus.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I thought so too when it was just on the Ford site. But it's also on the EPA site now -

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=45140&id=45139
I get that, but the numbers actually come from Ford (Ford does the testing and the EPA just spot checks). Tesla reports all of their cars having better range than they actually have, so once again Ford is just following Tesla's example ?

Since the AWD RT1 is the only actual new model for 2022 I think they only ran tests for that and for the rest of the models just added 3kwh's worth of range to the 2021 results. My guess is they used the more "optimistic" 5 cycle modeling instead of the more conservative 2 cycle tests run on the 21's.

Regardless, the actual difference you'll see between the AWD RT1 and AWD Premium is only going to be a few percent. I took my aero covers off of my RWD RT1 and my efficiency (mi/kwh) only went down by a few percent.

KennyPratt42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Rt 1 AWD
Country flag
As someone who has a CRt1 AWD on order the only logical explanation is that as has been reported Ford was very conservative with range estimates in the '21 model year because of being nervous about the battery warranty. There are quite a few tests were people get the stated range in non cold weather highway driving that is close to or slightly above the EPA range estimate (which Ford conducts within parameters). In the '22 model year they appear to have just added the 3 kWh of increased usable battery. Since the CRt1 AWD is the only new model trim they had to run tests for it and it seems like it is likely closer to a true city/highway mixed rating. I'm not guessing it's like Tesla where the range numbers are at the absolute limits, but is much closer to true range in mixed driving in reasonable weather than the conservative numbers on other trims.

It I was to venture a guess of max range at 70mph highway driving in good weather it would be:

Premium AWD 275-280 miles
CRt1 AWD 295-300

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
As someone who has a CRt1 AWD on order the only logical explanation is that as has been reported Ford was very conservative with range estimates in the '21 model year because of being nervous about the battery warranty. There are quite a few tests were people get the stated range in non cold weather highway driving that is close to or slightly above the EPA range estimate (which Ford conducts within parameters). In the '22 model year they appear to have just added the 3 kWh of increased usable battery. Since the CRt1 AWD is the only new model trim they had to run tests for it and it seems like it is likely closer to a true city/highway mixed rating. I'm not guessing it's like Tesla where the range numbers are at the absolute limits, but is much closer to true range in mixed driving in reasonable weather than the conservative numbers on other trims.

It I was to venture a guess of max range at 70mph highway driving in good weather it would be:

Premium AWD 275-280 miles
CRt1 AWD 295-300
I will be testing each on my Premium ER this Spring, I have both wheel/tire sets. Anxious to see the results.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I thought so too when it was just on the Ford site. But it's also on the EPA site now -

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=45140&id=45139
You're not going to be able to figure it out because manufacturers are allowed to derate any of the EPA ratings they want. It's possible that the Premium testing resulted in a range much closer to the CA RT1 rating, but Ford decided to derate it for some reason. Maybe just to keep the CA RT1 as the range king. But without inside knowledge of Ford's choices, there's no math that will result in the numbers making sense.

vortix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach E GT
Country flag
I will be testing each on my Premium ER this Spring, I have both wheel/tire sets. Anxious to see the results.
Going back to this note, have you had a compare results after testing the CR1 wheels/tires on your Premium ER AWD? The stated range differences in between the CR1 AWD and Premium ER AWD are interesting, and it'd be great to see some real world data points comparing the tire/wheel combos between the two.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Going back to this note, have you had a compare results after testing the CR1 wheels/tires on your Premium ER AWD? The stated range differences in between the CR1 AWD and Premium ER AWD are interesting, and it'd be great to see some real world data points comparing the tire/wheel combos between the two.
Not yet, I need to find a day......but now that the weather is pretty consistent, I will see what I can do. I am getting 316 miles per charge with the Rte 1 wheels on my Premium ER. But that's no real highway travel.
Sponsored