CA Rt1 Wheel covers: matte -> gloss(ish) black via Cerakote Trim Coat

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E CA Rt1 Wheel covers: matte -> gloss(ish) black via Cerakote Trim Coat trimcoat

Hi all. Thought I would share the result of applying Cerakote Trim Coat to my Route 1 wheels. This product is designed for restoring and protecting matte plastic trim. This picture was taken about 2 hours after treating the wheels. I am happy so far, and will see how it holds up.

The application process is very easy, as the product is dispensed in pre-soaked wipes.

In case anyone is interested, some lessons learned:
  • Always work safely. If jacking up the car, make sure you know the jack points and how to secure the car. Cerakote recommends using the product in a well ventilated area or outdoors.
  • This can be done while the covers are installed, but I recommend removing them for a easier, more thorough application and the ability to let them cure in a protected environment. This involves removing the lug nuts. Be ready with a hefty torque wrench to re-install, as the factory spec is 150 ft-lbs. I chose to support the corner I was working on with a floor jack, remove the cover, and re-tighten the wheel before lowering it back down.
  • The product needs to cure for at least an hour before handling. During that time:
    • Resist trying to correct any blemishes or low spots unless it is still quite fresh, maybe within 2 minutes or so. If you try to wipe more onto a partially cured area, there is a high likelihood of getting a splotch and it may be worse than the blemish you were trying to fix
    • Keep away from air-born contaminants. Rain can absolutely wreck the curing process, and clean up is quite difficult because the product hardens to a very durable finish.
    • Repeat: do not let the rain anywhere near this while it is curing.
  • If you chose to remove the covers, when re-installing them, look for the notch for the tire valve
  • After removing the covers, I chose to wash everything with a strip wash and dry thoroughly. While the Cerakote was curing, I applied TW Ceramic Spray Coating to the wheels and dressed the tires.
  • Keep the swear jar nearby
If this product holds up, it might be an interesting option for semi-glossifying the matte trim on the Select
Sponsored

OP
OP

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
The next day, after some light overnight rainfall (after the coating had cured). It is still pretty glossy but the color seems more charcoal than black to my eyes.

Ford Mustang Mach-E CA Rt1 Wheel covers: matte -> gloss(ish) black via Cerakote Trim Coat cerfar

Quadzilla

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E CA Route 1
Country flag
Did you do before pictures?