Cadillac Lyriq debut today - will Ford give us any news to steal their thunder?

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
I’m trying to figure out, other than being modular, what the advance is of the ultium battery. Similar range, similar 150KW DC speed. So what is it?
Production cost, I think. If that gets passed on in MSRP, great. Otherwise, I don't think there is anything a car buyer will care about.
Sponsored

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I’m trying to figure out, other than being modular, what the advance is of the ultium battery. Similar range, similar 150KW DC speed. So what is it? and sheesh with that charging door. I hope it succeeds - Cadillac is just not my style. Cadillac is more like Las Vegas. I prefer Mustang Detroit style.
This is what GM says about the battery, however, the Lyriq one seems listed as conservative. This is the only other 800 V battery known, aside from Porsche which is already in production.

"Ultium-powered EVs are designed for Level 2 and DC fast charging. Most will have 400-volt battery packs and up to 200 kW fast-charging capability while our truck platform will have 800-volt battery packs and 350 kW fast-charging capability. "

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Just seems very strange to be introducing a vehicle today that:

a) Won't be available for 2 1/2 years
b) Few Specs that they have announced are not unlike what is available today from many mfrs
c) No pricing announced, but expect to be on par with other luxury nameplates.

This just looks like a concept car with few concrete details. Are they just trying to keep their name out there in the marketplace?
Not sure about strange, but...
a. Announcing this far in advance does seem almost pointless to me. Only thing I can think is they want potential buyers of their current customer base to wait instead of switching to a different brand like the Ariya or Model X, which basically agrees your suggestion of them trying to keep their name out there in the marketplace...
b. Agreed, and they admit it might only look about 80% like it does in the preview...
c. GM has stated pricing starting under $75,000, and it will probably be over $90k loaded.

Personally Cadillac is generally too expensive of a brand, but it is a preferred luxury brand for many and it should do well in that small segment, once it eventually ships...

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
This is what GM says about the battery, however, the Lyriq one seems listed as conservative. This is the only other 800 V battery known, aside from Porsche which is already in production.

"Ultium-powered EVs are designed for Level 2 and DC fast charging. Most will have 400-volt battery packs and up to 200 kW fast-charging capability while our truck platform will have 800-volt battery packs and 350 kW fast-charging capability. "
Just Released: you can buy an electric station wagon starting at $60K
https://electrek.co/2020/08/12/cadillac-lyriq-electric-car-price/

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Given the brand name, I would guess closer to $80k than $50k when he says luxury market, as that is more like the Model X (which is $75k). That said, as they will be making their own battery plant and some of the bolts are selling at mid $20k, and a Cadillac CT4 CUV starts at $36k, it's certainly possible to start with a 5...

If it wasn't two years behind the Mustang Mach e, it would be worth considering at sub $60k, however too much vaporware at this point. Might fall into plan b (or next car after mach e) if not happy with the mach e once I am able to get a test drive.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
He didn’t say it won’t start with an 8.
His quote also leaves it open to start >100k lol. Not high 5 digits, not and 7 or 6 starting number. 100k fits that too.

I'm not sure the point of the super high L2 charge either. 100 amp breaker requires i think 3 gauge wire? That's a heck of an install cost lol. Plus 48 amp chargers (so 60 amp breaker) can easily charge most cars in 8 hours overnight. Then maxing out at 150 kw on DC fast chargers? Seems odd overall.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
His quote also leaves it open to start >100k lol. Not high 5 digits, not and 7 or 6 starting number. 100k fits that too.

I'm not sure the point of the super high L2 charge either. 100 amp breaker requires i think 3 gauge wire? That's a heck of an install cost lol. Plus 48 amp chargers (so 60 amp breaker) can easily charge most cars in 8 hours overnight. Then maxing out at 150 kw on DC fast chargers? Seems odd overall.
The ENTIRE thing seemed totally tone deaf. I listened to the InsideEV podcast about it, and they were absolutely SAVAGE to GM and Cadillac about the live event. I guess at one time they only had a bit over 2,000 even watching it.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
The ENTIRE thing seemed totally tone deaf. I listened to the InsideEV podcast about it, and they were absolutely SAVAGE to GM and Cadillac about the live event. I guess at one time they only had a bit over 2,000 even watching it.
I just watched the podcast. Interesting.

I get the feeling that Cadillac didn't start working on that car until they say the Mach-E reveal and was like oh-crap we have to do something.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I just watched the podcast. Interesting.

I get the feeling that Cadillac didn't start working on that car until they say the Mach-E reveal and was like oh-crap we have to do something.
And that something was done pretty badly. Maybe unless you were the typical Caddy audience who weren’t watching anyway.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Right, seems hurried and not thought out.
Agreed... it was not particularly bad, but... at best it will do is appease Caddy fans to hold off a couple of years instead of switching brands if the want an EV. That said, in two years it might be good competition, but too soon to say either way now.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The market is open to many EV choices. Some want performance, (such as the Mach-E GT), some want efficiency, some want low cost (such as the Chevy Bolt EV), and some want luxury. And this last "want" willl be fulfilled by the Cadillac Lyriq EV and some of the imports. Ford has not revealed any luxury EVs from Lincoln, but maybe they can upgrade the Mustang technology into a new Lincoln EV, then compete in the $50K and higher market. Cadillac gave hints to an Escalade EV, so Lincoln can offer an Avaiator or a Navigator as an EV with a different name.

Bond007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RDX
Country flag
This is almost inexcusable. We're talking about a vehicle that will not even be to market for two more years, best case scenario. With the amount of EVs coming out and improvements to existing ones, in order to entice people to wait, the specs would have to blow people away. This is the luxury segment. It should kill. Instead, they are just decent for today. The MME already has these specs, will be available this year (hopefully), and I'm sure cost less.

But then, what will the 2022 and 2023 MMEs look like? What will the Teslas look like by then? I mean, I hate the look of the Cybertruck, but at least a 2.9 sec 0-60 and 500 mile range is damn intriguing. Rivian promises a 400+ mile range and 0-60 in 3 seconds. Doesn't Cadillac think that will be available by then? With so little to show, Cadillac, instead, should have gone for "wow" and then basically, delayed until it's a reality. I can't understand who would be persuaded to wait for this.
Exactly.
Sponsored