Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
  • Banned
Blackouts are coming back, California nicely asks EV owners to charge off-peak. Electricity rationing is not far in the future.

Matthew Moniot, a researcher with the National Renewable Energy Laboratory said that most drivers who charge at night "will have to change" their routines: "If you look at aggregate load across the grid, it tends to spike in the evening hours whenever people come home." He called it a "tricky problem" that relies on "how much can we move what's currently overnight charging to be during the daytime hours, when generation may be more excessive."

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/c...harging-routines-amidst-precarious-power-grid
Ford Mustang Mach-E California Begs Residents To Change Their EV Charging Routines 1624426625793
Sponsored

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We in southwest Utah have also been asked to delay charging until off-peak hours.

intoMME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Select w/Tech Pkg. Infinity Blue
Country flag
If you own your home, buy (not lease) some solar panels. They pay for themselves in about 5 years if you go with the right company. No contracts, no b.s. I'm paying the same amount monthly to pay off my panels that I would have been paying to the electric company. In 5 years, those payments will cover the cost of the panels and I get free electricity. No need for backup batteries.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Blackouts are coming back, California nicely asks EV owners to charge off-peak. Electricity rationing is not far in the future.

Matthew Moniot, a researcher with the National Renewable Energy Laboratory said that most drivers who charge at night "will have to change" their routines: "If you look at aggregate load across the grid, it tends to spike in the evening hours whenever people come home." He called it a "tricky problem" that relies on "how much can we move what's currently overnight charging to be during the daytime hours, when generation may be more excessive."

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/c...harging-routines-amidst-precarious-power-grid
Ford Mustang Mach-E California Begs Residents To Change Their EV Charging Routines 1624426625793
Off peak hours in Hawaii for EV charging or otherwise are from 9 am to 5 pm. The highest cost time period to charge? 10 pm through 9 am.

Solar power baby!

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Very interesting: Off-peak hours here are 11pm - 9am.

I believe there is a lot more wind than solar in our "green" mix (of which is only about 15% and growing).

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I do have solar so my fuel costs are nil. I still charge after 10pm when the rates are 7 cents per kilowatt hour.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
If you own your home, buy (not lease) some solar panels. They pay for themselves in about 5 years if you go with the right company. No contracts, no b.s. I'm paying the same amount monthly to pay off my panels that I would have been paying to the electric company. In 5 years, those payments will cover the cost of the panels and I get free electricity. No need for backup batteries.
In my thinking the payback period is the wrong way to look at solar. I look at it as a return on my money. Here's why. I paid $37k cash for solar. After the federal rebate my net out of pocket is $25,900. My monthly average electricity bill was $308 per month. That's a 14.2% interest rate return on my $25,900 investment. Real cash, not potential. And it will only go higher over time, never down. There's no safe investment in the world that has that kind of interest rate. It was probably the best cash investment I've ever made.

On top of that my wife never has to worry about running the air conditioner.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The peak hours they're worried about are 4PM-9PM when people come home and switch on their A/C units.

Charging overnight into early morning is the best time, just don't start until 9-10 PM and the grid will be fine.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
In my thinking the payback period is the wrong way to look at solar. I look at it as a return on my money. Here's why. I paid $37k cash for solar. After the federal rebate my net out of pocket is $25,900. My monthly average electricity bill was $308 per month. That's a 14.2% interest rate return on my $25,900 investment. Real cash, not potential. And it will only go higher over time, never down. There's no safe investment in the world that has that kind of interest rate. It was probably the best cash investment I've ever made.

On top of that my wife never has to worry about running the air conditioner.
Not quite, the output is known to fall gradually over 25 years to where they deem most solar end of life and want you to replace it. Plus upkeep for failing components in the meantime. But I like your way of thinking. :)

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Not quite, the output is known to fall gradually over 25 years to where they deem most solar end of life and want you to replace it. Plus upkeep for failing components in the meantime. But I like your way of thinking. :)
While the output may fall gradually the electric rates will rise faster. Once we get high penetration of BEVs I believe that rates will rise dramatically with additional tax. This will make solar even more valuable. Mine have been in for four years without any component issues. (Fingers crossed)

medicnj

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge, Ford Mach E Star White
Occupation
EMT
Country flag
With Ford Promoting the Lightning having 2 way charge port, have something on the grid where you get better rates if you keep the truck plugged in and the grid can grab electricity from the truck automatically when it needs it.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
With Ford Promoting the Lightning having 2 way charge port, have something on the grid where you get better rates if you keep the truck plugged in and the grid can grab electricity from the truck automatically when it needs it.
I don't know. In a time of emergency I don't think I want my vehicle's power depleted automatically.
Sponsored