California Buyer - when we may actually get to see one?

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Thousand Oaks - ER AWD Premium Rapid Red . . . . at least for now until can see colors and actually sit in and drive car . . .
Sponsored

HopefulAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-PACE SE, x-Volvo XC60 T8 PHEV and x-Tesla S owner
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am interested in how you feel about the California Rt-1 model versus your Premium. Ford says we can change our model once they open up the real "ordering" function. I am trying to decide between the two models. (I don't think we can switch to the 1st Edition at that point because they are sold out.)

OP
OP
abr

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A
I am interested in how you feel about the California Rt-1 model versus your Premium. Ford says we can change our model once they open up the real "ordering" function. I am trying to decide between the two models. (I don't think we can switch to the 1st Edition at that point because they are sold out.)
Al - not sure about any of it. Who knows if all the reservations for the First Edition will actually follow through given the current pandemic and the current and future recession.
I don't think I would be interested in the Route 1 compared to the Premium (or First Edition) - I am interested in AWD and would like a different interior than the black, which are not options on the Route 1.
Where in NorCal are you?

HopefulAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the response. You make good points on the difference. I like a non-black interior too. The Premium also lets you get to 19" wheels. In my case, I think I might get RWD anyway with the Premium unless it slows my delivery...cheaper, simpler, and better range.

I am in Sonoma County...north of SF.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The route-1 is essentially a "discounted" premium ER RWD, so they removed a few nice features including heated seats, foot activated rear lift, and white interior. Unless you want those features the RT1 makes sense to save a few grand. Personally, it makes no sense to have a glass roof and compel people to have black seats, no matter how efficient the glass roof is - the black interior will invariably be hot in the summer sun. Without heated seats you will also need to use more of that ER battery to heat the whole compartment

The upshot IMHO is that if you can afford it get the premium unless the MSRP puts you over a state incentive threshold. Here in NJ it would ($55K cap to qualify for $5k rebate), so the RT 1 would definitely be the better buy for me. If I were to spring for the longer range I would get the RT 1 despite the minor drawbacks.

Reactions: abr

HopefulAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I had not thought about it in that way and had not noticed that the Glass Roof was not on all the models....including the RT1. One of the benefits of a glass roof is that it can provide more head room in the car.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I had not thought about it in that way and had not noticed that the Glass Roof was not on all the models....including the RT1. One of the benefits of a glass roof is that it can provide more head room in the car.
Not sure what you mean - the glass roof is standard on the rt 1. The "select" can't get it, and it is optional on a GT

OP
OP
abr

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the response. You make good points on the difference. I like a non-black interior too. The Premium also lets you get to 19" wheels. In my case, I think I might get RWD anyway with the Premium unless it slows my delivery...cheaper, simpler, and better range.

I am in Sonoma County...north of SF.
Al - agree. I'm interested in the AWD just from the added performance standpoint without going to the GT. I don't need it for the weather all that much.
Also, as Tim states, there are a few other items added for the Premium. that are nice touches and the final price doesn't affect the CA rebate amount. BTW - does PG&E (soon to be the State of CA) offer a rebate? SCE offers another $1k on top of federal and state rebates. I think with all of it, I'll get $10.5k back.

HopefulAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, the Premium is looking very good to me at this point...and it is going to be delivered before the RT1 in theory. I don't think PG&E has a rebate for an EV. They do for Solar/Battery installations although the timing on payment is variable depending on their funding.

While AWD performance my be better, you will be amazed at the performance of RWD. It will be fabulous!

The State rebate has changed since I first received it. When I looked in 2018 it was income based. It favored lower incomes...with the rebate decreasing as income went up. Also, you had the choice of taking the rebate $ OR getting "Car Pool Lane Stickers" for you car. The Fed rebate is proportional to "battery size". the MME should get the full $7,,500, but you have to owe taxes to be able to utilize this "tax deduction".

OP
OP
abr

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, the Premium is looking very good to me at this point...and it is going to be delivered before the RT1 in theory. I don't think PG&E has a rebate for an EV. They do for Solar/Battery installations although the timing on payment is variable depending on their funding.

While AWD performance my be better, you will be amazed at the performance of RWD. It will be fabulous!

The State rebate has changed since I first received it. When I looked in 2018 it was income based. It favored lower incomes...with the rebate decreasing as income went up. Also, you had the choice of taking the rebate $ OR getting "Car Pool Lane Stickers" for you car. The Fed rebate is proportional to "battery size". the MME should get the full $7,,500, but you have to owe taxes to be able to utilize this "tax deduction".
There is still a bigger CA state rebate for lower incomes, but when I bought the PHEV in calendar 2018, we got both the carpool sticker AND the federal rebate and the state rebate and the SCE rebate (all in addition to the mfr rebate and dealer discount and 0% financing). The $40k MSRP car became $27k car. I know all of that won't happen on the MME, but if sold with no ADM and maybe (?) a little deal, it won't be bad and will certainly be a better financial deal than the Y.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
OP
OP
abr

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
The PG&E rebate is great, received it for the PHEV van I purchased (was $500 then) and even the used MB B-Class electric we got last year. Everyone should check on rebates, even on used vehicles (previous owner didn't apply for it- they have them from SOCal Edison and others.)