Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
Whoa!

2 years and 9 months ?

Sounds like we are getting the shaft ?

Is the HOV decal program ending ?
Correct. Unless Federal law changes, the exemption program that allows States to give EVs access to HOV lanes expires at the end of the federal fiscal year 2025, or 9–30–2025.

EV owners need to ask Federal candidates (Presidential, Congress) in the 2024 election how they stand on this exemption.

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Wow crazy color! Mine were yellow.
I expected yellow as well. With California legacy license plates yellow stickers looks fine on my MME. Green stickers on white car with yellow license plates …hmm ... I’m not sure I would like that color combination.

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
how long did it take you from the time
You dropped the check in the mail for them to cash it ? How long to arrive in your mailbox?
Dropped before the Christmas, 01/19-check cashed, 01/27-stickers arrived. In the same time I dropped request to update license plate number of my MME in CAV certificate. The updated certificate arrived after 2 weeks.

Humblest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium AWD ER; '21 Mini SE (EV)
Country flag
Correct. Unless Federal law changes, the exemption program that allows States to give EVs access to HOV lanes expires at the end of the federal fiscal year 2025, or 9–30–2025.

EV owners need to ask Federal candidates (Presidential, Congress) in the 2024 election how they stand on this exemption.
I took delivery of my MME back in May but waited until this month to get the decals thinking this would extend usage through 2026. Was surprised when I received the decals a few days ago to see from the accompanying paperwork that the decals expire so much sooner. Had I known, I would not have delayed applying for the decals.

$22 for about 32 months of using the HOV lanes is still worthwhile, and I can hope that the program will be extended. Yet I'd have more confidence in that possibility if it were a Sacramento decision rather than Washington.

Yes, I have sent an email to my congressman. Other issues seem far more important to him, so I am not optimistic.

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My personal opinion? While I love the ability to use the HOV lanes (at half price or free, depending on when and where), I think sunsetting the program in 2025 is probably fine.

Just using 680 and 880 as examples in the bay area, the portions of 680 that actually *do* have the HOV lanes, they don't help that much because the lanes are pretty congested as well. By 2025 it will likely be a wash as far as saving time or not if EVs can flood the HOV lane.

On 880, we pay half price with the fastrak flex + decal, and the HOV lane is a 3+ requirement. There is still *some* benefit I have found, but by 2025? With the rate of EV adoption in Cali, again I just see the HOV lane flooded and it likely won't matter at that point anyway.

I say enjoy it while it lasts!

(perhaps other areas and experiences are different - no idea how SoCal lanes help currently)

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
10-20 minutes saved in a daily commute seems like a really worthwhile use of the HOV sticker to me, particularly if it is soul crushing stop and go traffic you are avoiding.

That said, I have the same concern and asked on another thread if people just risk not putting the sticker on cars that are obviously BEVs. One person said they did that and hadn’t had an issue yet. I’ll probably do that and keep the sticker in my glove compartment box just to show a cop that I am eligible if I ever get pulled over.
As an update, I never put the HOV sticker on. I don't have the opportunity to drive in the carpool lane that often.

But whenever I see the carpool lane, I almost always take it. I have never been pulled over. Then again, I have also never encountered a cop as far as I know when I have been in the carpool lane while doing this.

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
As an update, I never put the HOV sticker on. I don't have the opportunity to drive in the carpool lane that often.

But whenever I see the carpool lane, I almost always take it. I have never been pulled over. Then again, I have also never encountered a cop as far as I know when I have been in the carpool lane while doing this.
I’m not happy how my GT looks with those stickers but my opinion if I take advantage to use carpool lanes I also should take the responsibilities of following the rules.