California Clean Air Vehicle Decal

rdemner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I apologize if this has been answered, but do you need to wait for your plates to arrive in order to submit your application? Or can you submit with temp plates as soon as you get the car?
Sponsored

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
You can do it with your temps. Some had the dealer do it for them at sale. I did it with my temps.

four0four

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150 Lariat, 2019 GLC300e, 2021 GT PE
Country flag
I was going to transfer my vintage black plates over, but decided to order new ones for my ME. I didn’t know how long it would take to transfer the plates and last time I paid online for them in 2019 it took a week. I know everything slowed down due to the rona but I’m hoping the instant online payment speeds up the process over sending in the form to transfer them. It was a $50 gamble I was willing to take and it’s been about 1.5 weeks now.
My custom plates took a bit over 4 months to arrive.

paid and selected on 12/09 and arrived on 4/22.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
You can do it with your temps. Some had the dealer do it for them at sale. I did it with my temps.
I am going to try this. I think my plates might take a long time because its the "California Memorial"

ElectrikPony

First Name
RANDY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
Country flag
Please don't put those horrific stickers on the ME!!! Georgia has an electronic sticker that sits up by the stalk of the rearview mirror that is hidden by the mirror itself. I thought Cali was suppose to be be so intellectually advanced and us in the south the Dumb ones?!?!
California just hasn’t figured out how much to charge for them.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Agree the stickers are an eyesore.
I dont go on the carpool lane alot more. Now, it's just when I go to my dentist or visit family or pickup drop off friends and fam at airports. I will stick mine on a magnet cut to the same shape as decal so I can put it on when I plan on using carpool lane.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Whats the turnaround time for this? I sent the application in last month when I got my plates. They haven't cashed my check yet.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
10-20 minutes saved in a daily commute seems like a really worthwhile use of the HOV sticker to me, particularly if it is soul crushing stop and go traffic you are avoiding.

That said, I have the same concern and asked on another thread if people just risk not putting the sticker on cars that are obviously BEVs. One person said they did that and hadn’t had an issue yet. I’ll probably do that and keep the sticker in my glove compartment box just to show a cop that I am eligible if I ever get pulled over.
I took my own advice and have just been driving the carpool lane without the stickers, keeping them in my glove compartment. I don’t drive in the carpool lane often, my daily commute is either all surface streets or walking into my living room. Still, I must have done it dozens of time at this point.

Yet no ticket. Then again, I also don’t recall any close cop encounters while solo in the carpool lane with my sticker-less Mach-E.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm going to go with this !!!!
Untitled.pngnwew one.png
Ha! Does that count with the DMV?? We have a Reviver plate on a different car (dealer forced it as add-on). If this actually counts we may consider getting one. Plus the black/white would look cool on our white/black mach.

IMG_1939.jpg

Picked up these magnets on Amazon. Figured I would use them if I know Im going to be using the Carpool lane.
Looks like its been a few months, how have they held up?? This is EXACTLY what I would need to do, no way I would dare put the stickers permanently on my wife's car. When I need to borrow it (her car) to head to bay area I would put the magnets on, otherwise back in the glove or under the cargo mat.

No worries about thievery, I'd take them off once I've reached the destination city (Sac or San Jose).

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I got my stickers from the dealer when they filed my paperwork for the registration. I got a letter, later, from the DMV saying that they could not process my paperwork for the stickers since my car was not registered. I just sent them back the paper and a note saying the car was registered and I have my plates. I have the stickers, the dealership paperwork for them and I am waiting for the DMV paperwork to catch up. It has been four months. (Just got my updated paperwork)

As far as the sticker on the car, I did not want to put them on the car either. People have indicated that they come easy but I am cautious. I have always hated stickers of any kind on my cars. I put some 3M paint protection film under the stickers. The film is basically PPF and comes off easily. You can buy a roll of it and cut around the stickers or just buy them already made from Amazon. I went with the pre-cut since it is simply, not expensive and I do not want a roll sitting around my garage.

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I got my stickers from the dealer when they filed my paperwork for the registration. I got a letter, later, from the DMV saying that they could not process my paperwork for the stickers since my car was not registered. I just sent them back the paper and a note saying the car was registered and I have my plates. I have the stickers, the dealership paperwork for them and I am waiting for the DMV paperwork to catch up. It has been four months.

As far as the sticker on the car, I did not want to put them on the car either. People have indicated that they come easy but I am cautious. I have always hated stickers of any kind on my cars. I put some 3M paint protection film under the stickers. The film is basically PPF and comes off easily. You can buy a roll of it and cut around the stickers or just buy them already made from Amazon. I went with the pre-cut since it is simply, not expensive and I do not want a roll sitting around my garage.
All that and the current yellow probably blend right into your color anyway! Wonder if they see the cyber orange and just go "eh, he probably has the stickers and I can't see them, f$#% it"

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ha! Does that count with the DMV?? We have a Reviver plate on a different car (dealer forced it as add-on). If this actually counts we may consider getting one. Plus the black/white would look cool on our white/black mach.
Is that what those plates are called Reviver Plates. I saw a black and white lettering one. Also saw a photo on a member here the guy who I think has a wheel shop or something like that. Never seen this color plates. How do you get one? And that clean vehicle HOV wording is as good as the sticker or better i guess?

edit: Googling it right now...oh its digital. Monthly subscription though? ugh. Border is too thick for my taste. I like it low pro / slim border.

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Is that what those plates are called Reviver Plates. I saw a black and white lettering one. Also saw a photo on a member here the guy who I think has a wheel shop or something like that. Never seen this color plates. How do you get one? And that clean vehicle HOV wording is as good as the sticker or better i guess?

edit: Googling it right now...oh its digital. Monthly subscription though? ugh.
We bought a Hyundai at a dealership that didn't technically charge ADM at the time, but they instead forced some "add-ons" so you at least get *something* for the ADM. One was this Reviver plate that was listed as an $850 add-on. I researched and thought the coolest part is we can update the bottom text via the app whenever we want, which is cool! The other benefits are that you don't have to put on stickers every year, and you can change from white-on-black to black-on-white. Other features like locator, or having it display "STOLEN VEHICLE" if stolen, are premium features. There is zero monthly fee for us.

The perfect description I saw in an online review was "The most innovative solution to a problem that didn't exist" 🤣 🤣

Anyway, the coolest part of it - updating the custom text - actually isn't as cool as it was advertised. We can't actually put *custom* text, it has to be from a list pre-approved by the DMV. So there are tons you can choose but to submit your own, the approval takes MONTHS. It's been 8 months and mine is still pending. :confused:
Sponsored