KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium extended range RWD Mach E
Country flag
I’ve been going back and forth on whether to get the clean air decal to use the HOV lane. I wouldn’t need it often, but there’s maybe a 7 mile stretch in my commute where using it could cut down 10-20 minutes. Besides that I would have my wife with me to use the HOV lane. The big thing that’s stopping me is the hideous sticker. I don’t understand why CA still uses stickers and makes you put so many on. I can’t justify slapping that thing on to ruin the beauty of the ME. I’ve been looking at other ways to put it on temporarily such as magnets or PPF, but I’m not sure if that would work. I would appreciate any suggestions on whether I should get it or not or even how to use a temporary fix that would work only when I need it
Sponsored

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
Even if you get it, itll be a while.

I applied in the beginning of March and they still didn't cash my check or anything.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
10-20 minutes saved in a daily commute seems like a really worthwhile use of the HOV sticker to me, particularly if it is soul crushing stop and go traffic you are avoiding.

That said, I have the same concern and asked on another thread if people just risk not putting the sticker on cars that are obviously BEVs. One person said they did that and hadn’t had an issue yet. I’ll probably do that and keep the sticker in my glove compartment box just to show a cop that I am eligible if I ever get pulled over.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Sent my form and check in five weeks ago. They have not even cashed the check. Same for the check and form to transfer my plates to my new car. CA DMV - the worst!

OP
OP
KCole21

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
10-20 minutes saved in a daily commute seems like a really worthwhile use of the HOV sticker to me, particularly if it is soul crushing stop and go traffic you are avoiding.

That said, I have the same concern and asked on another thread if people just risk not putting the sticker on cars that are obviously BEVs. One person said they did that and hadn’t had an issue yet. I’ll probably do that and keep the sticker in my glove compartment box just to show a cop that I am eligible if I ever get pulled over.
I’ve been reading that too but that was mostly on Tesla threads. I get they can probably identify a Tesla at this point and just assume they have the decal, but I’m not so sure about the ME yet. Really it would just have to be that one CHP being an ass that day to pull you over.

Reactions: ARK

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I’ve been reading that too but that was mostly on Tesla threads. I get they can probably identify a Tesla at this point and just assume they have the decal, but I’m not so sure about the ME yet. Really it would just have to be that one CHP being an ass that day to pull you over.
I would think a simple popping of the charging panel or frunk would calm the tits of most officers.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Where does this sticker get applied? Would it be possible to apply the sticker to a piece of plexiglass that you stick in a window when you need it, and throw under a seat when you don’t?

OP
OP
KCole21

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sent my form and check in five weeks ago. They have not even cashed the check. Same for the check and form to transfer my plates to my new car. CA DMV - the worst!
I was going to transfer my vintage black plates over, but decided to order new ones for my ME. I didn’t know how long it would take to transfer the plates and last time I paid online for them in 2019 it took a week. I know everything slowed down due to the rona but I’m hoping the instant online payment speeds up the process over sending in the form to transfer them. It was a $50 gamble I was willing to take and it’s been about 1.5 weeks now.

OP
OP
KCole21

KCole21

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Where does this sticker get applied? Would it be possible to apply the sticker to a piece of plexiglass that you stick in a window when you need it, and throw under a seat when you don’t?
There’s 4 stickers that have to/should be applied. Two in the front and two in the back. I’ve read/seen people just put one on the back right side which seems to do the trick. But like I said it just takes one cop having a bad day to decide that’s not enough.

1345F3C1-8466-464A-8C36-6A473C876876.jpeg

ConejoRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CA Route 1 Mach-E, Chevrolet Volt
Country flag
Did our plate transfer immediately at AAA last week as soon as we got the regular plates for the MachE. Also picked up new regular plates for the car that the personalized plates were on. Unfortunatley, they don't do the decals so sending that off today now that the plate transfer is done.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
CA DMV - the worst!
This is a popular sentiment, but I'm going to disagree. My experiences with the DMV are consistently positive. I am able to get appointments easily, they are smooth (and short) when I've gone into an office, and the people are very friendly and efficient. The online registration is great.

That said, I do agree that the HOV stickers take too long. I last got some around 3-1/2 years ago but they came through the dealer directly, which was great because I got them within a couple of weeks. Sending in the payment directly is a much longer process for some reason.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
There’s 4 stickers that have to/should be applied. Two in the front and two in the back. I’ve read/seen people just put one on the back right side which seems to do the trick. But like I said it just takes one cop having a bad day to decide that’s not enough.

Ford Mustang Mach-E California Clean Air Vehicle Decal 1345F3C1-8466-464A-8C36-6A473C876876
Ugh. I absolutely HATE the idea of stickers on my vehicle, and doubly so if they have to be on the paint. I believe I’d have to skip that if it was me, or risk having to explain that it is actually a BEV every time I got pulled over for it.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
This is a popular sentiment, but I'm going to disagree. My experiences with the DMV are consistently positive. I am able to get appointments easily, they are smooth (and short) when I've gone into an office, and the people are very friendly and efficient. The online registration is great.

That said, I do agree that the HOV stickers take too long. I last got some around 3-1/2 years ago but they came through the dealer directly, which was great because I got them within a couple of weeks. Sending in the payment directly is a much longer process for some reason.
Agree in-person should be great, but not when you have to wait four months for an appointment! The fact that mail-in service is so terrible shows me that they now have the worst possible set up to get anything accomplished. Even getting a read ID DL requires a bunch of online work and...wait for it...an appointment.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I use a template to cut PPE to apply before placing the stickers on the car. It allows for clean and easy removal when they expire, not to mention makes installing them level/straight much easier. I install the stickers where the DMV instructs, and after the initial "these are ugly, don't want to do it" I don't really give them another thought. I've always found those Tesla people that cannot (refuse to) apply the stickers properly to be annoying, but doubt it would ever be an issue unless they were pulled over for another reason. Having 2 of the rear ones on the MME since it is so new would seem to be the minimum you would need for the CHP.

Ford Mustang Mach-E California Clean Air Vehicle Decal IMG_6254

The last time I got stickers they came in about a month from when I submitted the application, looks like it's much slower now.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Please don't put those horrific stickers on the ME!!! Georgia has an electronic sticker that sits up by the stalk of the rearview mirror that is hidden by the mirror itself. I thought Cali was suppose to be be so intellectually advanced and us in the south the Dumb ones?!?!
Sponsored