Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
This week, I contacted more than 20 Ford dealers in northern, central, and southern California offering to sell new 2022 MMEs.

As most of you already know, there is very little if any inventory in stock. However, many dealerships have cars on order or in transit from the factory. Of the 22 dealers I queried, only three would sell me an MME for MSRP. Many dealers previously reported as not marking up MMEs now do so. The ADM I was quoted ranged from $5,000 to $15,000. Here's a rundown for your information:
  • The Ford Store, Morgan Hill: Zero dealer markup (and offer Ford Options financing)
  • Santa Maria Ford: Zero dealer markup (but doesn't offer Ford Options financing)
  • Walnut Creek Ford: Zero dealer markup (do offer Ford Options financing)
  • Putnam Ford, San Mateo: $10,000 ADM
  • Price Ford, Turlock: $5,000 ADM
  • Lithia Ford, Fresno: $10,000 ADM
  • Big Valley Ford, Stockton: $5,000 ADM
  • Elk Grove Ford: $10,000 ADM
  • Folsom Lake Ford: $7,995 ADM
  • Fairfield Ford: $7,500 ADM
  • Future Ford, Concord: $7,995 ADM
  • Madera Ford: $7,500 ADM
  • Future Ford, Clovis: $10,000 ADM
  • Tracy Ford: $7,000 ADM
  • Fahrney Ford, Selma: $4,995 ADM (offered to drop that to $2,995)
  • Manteca Ford: $15,000 ADM
  • Keller Ford, Hanford: $5,000 ADM
  • Porterville Ford: $10,000 ADM
  • Sunrise Ford, North Hollywood: $12,000 to $15,000 ADM
  • Perry Ford, San Luis Obispo: $4,995 ADM
  • Fiesta Ford, Indio: $10,000 ADM
  • Watsonville Ford: $3,000 ADM
  • James Ford, Half Moon Bay: $5,995 ADM (on GT)
Many of these dealers told me that if customers place special orders for an MME through them, they would only charge MSRP. However, if an ordered vehicle arrives and suddenly becomes available, they will apply ADM.

Also, my list doesn't include those dealers like Serramonte Ford and Capitol Ford where it's obvious from their websites that they charge ADM. I didn't bother to reach out to them.

Please feel free to add any data points for dealers not on my list.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
These guys quoted me $15K ADM on a GT. FYI.
The sales rep from Putnam Ford first quoted me $10K ADM, but then texted me with an offer to reduce it to $7,500 ADM. No thanks!

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Yeah, it seems like that's what you're going to have to deal with if you want a car now instead of ordering. Best thing you can try is to reduce it to less than $5k markup.

My first time buying the Mach E from dealer inventory it was not over MSRP, under actually. But the second time it was at a shitty dealer who liked to play games, but they were the only dealer who had what I wanted (GTPE in blue) in stock for hundreds of miles, so I had to play ball. Ordering one would have resulted in a '22 that was even more expensive than the markup I ended up paying and with less features due to chip shortage! So no wait + sell my used Mach E for a great price = deal with the shitty dealer.

If you can find a Mach E, GTPE especially, for MSRP or 2 or 3 thousand over MSRP, go for it. The market is insane right now and won't get any better. Plus, if you order right now, God knows when you'll actually get it and what the tax credit for Ford will be.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Livermore Ford will sell w/o ADM if it is an order, but as I understand it will add ADM if its off the lot.

FWIW I was not impressed by their antiquated tactics during the close on my purchase and regret having placed my order through them. Further, they would not let me use Ford Options, which cost me $2k of Ford credit at the time.

If you can shop Livermore, then I'd suggest keep moving and shop Walnut Creek instead.

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Yeah, it seems like that's what you're going to have to deal with if you want a car now instead of ordering. Best thing you can try is to reduce it to less than $5k markup.

My first time buying the Mach E from dealer inventory it was not over MSRP, under actually. But the second time it was at a shitty dealer who liked to play games, but they were the only dealer who had what I wanted (GTPE in blue) in stock for hundreds of miles, so I had to play ball. Ordering one would have resulted in a '22 that was even more expensive than the markup I ended up paying and with less features due to chip shortage! So no wait + sell my used Mach E for a great price = deal with the shitty dealer.

If you can find a Mach E, GTPE especially, for MSRP or 2 or 3 thousand over MSRP, go for it. The market is insane right now and won't get any better. Plus, if you order right now, God knows when you'll actually get it and what the tax credit for Ford will be.
As far as I'm concerned, ADM is a greedy, unscrupulous, short-sighted business practice. MSRP has plenty of profit built-in for manufacturer and dealer alike. Ford should crack down on any dealer engaging in this kind of business practice.

Fortunately, a few dealers recognize that charging ADM will chase customers away. The sales manager at Santa Maria Ford said they've earned business from hundreds of miles away by refusing to sell cars for more than MSRP. Dealers like that will earn my business from now on; I flat out won't do business with shady dealers that try and price-gouge loyal, longtime customers like me.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As far as I'm concerned, ADM is a greedy, unscrupulous, short-sighted business practice. MSRP has plenty of profit built-in for manufacturer and dealer alike. Ford should crack down on any dealer engaging in this kind of business practice.

Fortunately, a few dealers recognize that charging ADM will chase customers away. The sales manager at Santa Maria Ford said they've earned business from hundreds of miles away by refusing to sell cars for more than MSRP. Dealers like that will earn my business from now on; I flat out won't do business with shady dealers that try and price-gouge loyal, longtime customers like me.
I was like you once, too.
Sure I would have loved to have gone to the no ADM dealers, but they didn't have the right car at the right time!

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I was like you once, too.
Sure I would have loved to have gone to the no ADM dealers, but they didn't have the right car at the right time!
All it takes is a little research and outreach, and the patience to shop smart. I really didn't have much trouble this week finding two 2022 MMEs for zero ADM (one Select and the other a GT).

Customers who are willing to pay ADM simply encourage dealers to continue this shady business practice...

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All it takes is a little research and outreach, and the patience to shop smart. I really didn't have much trouble finding two 2022 MMEs for zero ADM.

Customers who are willing to pay ADM simply encourage dealers to continue this shady business practice...
Regular MME sure, GTPE is tougher...I called, like you, dozens of dealers across the US. Those that had them were charging ADM, those that didn't claimed they wouldn't...and then usually would ?

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All it takes is a little research and outreach, and the patience to shop smart. I really didn't have much trouble this week finding two 2022 MMEs for zero ADM (one Select and the other a GT).

While I hate it too I bet if you went to sell your house, had it appraised, and one person offered you your asking price and someone offered $10,000 over asking price that you would sell to the highest bidder.

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
While I hate it too I bet if you went to sell your house, had it appraised, and one person offered you your asking price and someone offered $10,000 over asking price that you would sell to the highest bidder.
With all due respect, that's different. I'm not a franchised commercial dealer and my house has no MSRP. Buyers often engage in bidding wars for real estate, but they go into the purchase process expecting that. Not so with auto dealerships. That's why Ford strongly discourages the practice of ADM at their dealerships...

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With all due respect, that's different. I'm not a franchised commercial dealer and my house has no MSRP. Buyers often engage in bidding wars for real estate, but they go into the purchase process expecting that. Not so with auto dealerships. That's why Ford strongly discourages the practice of ADM at their dealerships...
They are both the result of supply and demand. Two years ago a dealer couldn’t even sell at MSRP. Last year used vehicles went up in price by thousands of dollars overnight. I also believe Ford is having issues with dealers who are adding ADM after approving an order with no ADM. I believe I read that the on line order now has a ADM line so those costs, if added, will be up front. To be clear I hate ADM. I just understand the why of it and as you mentioned as long as someone will pay it many dealers will add it.

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
If you can shop Livermore, then I'd suggest keep moving and shop Walnut Creek instead.
Seconded.

The sales guy I talked to at Livermore Ford basically said "don't worry about the ADM, you'll get it back when you file the tax rebates". When I asked if I could do a test drive they basically said I can do whatever I want if I put money down. :rolleyes:

So happy I went through Walnut Creek. Every communication with them has been pleasant and reassuring.

snowdoggie

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo, Nissan, Audi 2017 SQ5, MME GT, M3
Occupation
IT Operations Manager
Country flag
Walnut crk was very nice but didnt have any in stock, and 6mo to order.
Concord and Hilltop wanted 8k
San Jose/Capitol wanted 7k / 5k
Sponsored